Is there a better 1970s band than the Ramones?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you insane?

Some of the greatest bands of all time were punk bands. Sex Pistols, Ramones, Misfits, etc...

And "punk" is such a broad term, it encompasses hardcore, 70s-style, skate-punk, ska, pop-punk etc....you're going to tell me it's not a valued part of r'n'r history?

Don't forget the New York Dolls, Stooges, Richard Hell and the Voidoids (just listen to the Blank Generation album and tell me it's not great).

:nana:

People are talking at your school about your manlove for Pat Boone. BEWARE!! :nana:

Pat Boone? I think he was more a fifties guy. I always liked the way he never complained about little Richard's covering him on Tootie Fruitie....

My favorite 70's band?...tossup..between the Carpenters and Tony Orlando and Dawn.

Another crappy, no talent, band makes an appearance.

Unreal. I know you don't like the talents they had, just as I don't care for the talents I will admit Steely Dan has, but come on.

Let's compare, shall we?

Great voices? Neither band has traditionally 'good' voices.

Great musicians? The Clash weren't, really, but then again, Steely Dan relied on a heavy dose of studio musicians and overdubbing.

Songwriting? I'll take the Clash's immediacy, and if four chords never=genius, then Chuck Berry sucks, too.

The Clash might not have been good at much more than writing and playing great songs that spoke to people upon impact (and I'll beg to differ as they brought a lot of different styles to punk rock, and were in fact great fans of the whole canon of American music), but even if that's it, to deny they had any talent is pretty ridiculous.