If we draft defense first, should we draft the best

I'm curious how the board would feel if we took the best defensive player on the board with our first pick but it wasn't for a position of need. Everyone feels that we have to have a CB, LB or a DT with our first pick. What if the best player was a S or DE when we pick? Should we do it? I say hell yeah. I would love to have Landry or Carriker. Players like these you make room for them.

I'm curious how the board would feel if we took the best defensive player on the board with our first pick but it wasn't for a position of need. Everyone feels that we have to have a CB, LB or a DT with our first pick. What if the best player was a S or DE when we pick? Should we do it? I say hell yeah. I would love to have Landry or Carriker. Players like these you make room for them.

It's kind of an impossible question to answer, although the answer is: "Both". We have to wait to see who is available with the pick. Then we have to see how our board looks, how we rated the guys that are still left. If the top player is a non-need position but WELL ahead of the next guy on the list who is at a need position, then that guy would have to be strongly considered. If he is rated higher but it's pretty close, then not so much. And then the coaches have to look at in a way that is our team overall better with the top rated guy on the field and the present decent starter on the bench, or is the team better with the starter still starting and the next best guy in the draft at a need position in there.

"I'm curious how the board would feel if we took the best defensive player on the board with our first pick but it wasn't for a position of need. Everyone feels that we have to have a CB, LB or a DT with our first pick. What if the best player was a S or DE when we pick? Should we do it? I say hell yeah. I would love to have Landry or Carriker. Players like these you make room for them."

I've seen mocks where the Bills take Landry and I've heard rumblings about Carriker playing the DT position- alot of teams shy away from the tall DTs cause their afraid they will get their knees cut too many times- and have season ending injuries- but if the Bills are serious about rotating DL men in and out all the time maybe this will be less a concern.

I think there are only three (non kicking) positions that would shock me if the Bills addressed with the #12 pick: QB, S or DE. With the money tied up by Schobel, Kelsey, Denney and Hargrove, I can't see there being any logic in taking a DE at 12. None.

Other than that, I think everything else is fair game. I wouldn't be shocked if they took a WR, RB, TE, OL, DT, LB, CB, FB. I'm not saying I would like all those picks, but I'm always of the position that with the first pick you always take the best player available regardless of need.

That's the beauty of Carriker, apparently he keeps his pads down low. I would to see him in a rotation with our other DTs plus use him like Richard Seymour. He would give us a ton of versatility. It would make one of our weaknesses a strength.

That's the beauty of Carriker, apparently he keeps his pads down low. I would to see him in a rotation with our other DTs plus use him like Richard Seymour. He would give us a ton of versatility. It would make one of our weaknesses a strength.
Especially if we could trade down & get 2 extra picks & Carriker & "sign him on the cheap" :D