Let me tell you guys something....

Lv-Bills

This year's Eastern Conference playoffs are going to be nothing short of amazing. There are so many good teams. With the Sabres, Pens, Devils and Sens............along with all of the hot teams vying for the final two spots in the conference......this years first round should be amazing.

The skill level of the top four teams coupled with the hotness of most of the bottom four, and the large markets they play in, I think NBC will be lucky to get the NHL playoffs on the cheap. This could be just what the NHL needs for a little boost in ratings.

Can't wait.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it. I'm not sure the Penguins are going to be able to keep all of these guys under the salary cap as the years go on. I will say this, however, this team is more talented then the Lemieux era teams of the early 90's. I think they are a year away from yearly domination, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they do significant damage this year.

I hate to say it Sabres fans......you better win it this year.

Hold on a second, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you a huge Canes fan last year? I may be thinking of someone else. Not surprising if you are that guy though, the Canes had tons of fans last year who were "life long fans" of some other team.

Outside of that I do agree with your take on the upcoming playoffs.

Hold on a second, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you a huge Canes fan last year? I may be thinking of someone else. Not surprising if you are that guy though, the Canes had tons of fans last year who were "life long fans" of some other team.

Did I ever once say that I'm a huge Canes fan, or did I root for the Canes just to get a playoff hockey fix since my team sucked and hasn't been in the playoffs for years? Did I say I wanted to experience the hockey playoffs since they are the closest team to my state of Virginia? You must be one of those people who only read what they want to read. So, yes, I ROOTED for the Canes last year similar to way I rooted for the Colts to beat the Patriots this year in the NFL. Because my team was out of it. It actually all started a number of years ago, when a bunch of us Pens fans went to Carolina when they played Jersey, and wore our Ron Francis Pens jerseys. We liked the atmosphere. Now, is that enough of a justification?

I find the RBC center in Raleigh a great place to watch a hockey game. And the fans that they do have, albeit small in number, are rowdy, and their arena is very loud. It's clean, a nice area, and cheap to see hockey.

That being said, I hope the Pens land second in the standings and play them in the first round, so that I can take my annual playoff trips to Raleigh, this time finally rooting for my real team to beat their ass. It's not just a playoff fix for me this year......my team is back in the mix, in a big way.

Will you guys ever get over your Canes envy? Let it go. I seriously haven't paid a bit of attention to them this season, other than to know they are barely qualifying for the playoffs.

Now, is that enough of a justification?

Nope. Not if you want to consider yourself a life long Pens fan. I have been to many Canes games over the years when they weren't playing the Sabres and merely enjoyed it for the competiton of NHL hockey. I had no rooting interest in the outcome whatsoever because I'm a life long Sabres fan.

I have had this discussion too many times with team-swapping neighbors and co-workers, I guess the fierce loyalty is just a Buffalo thing that others can't understand.

Nope. Not if you want to consider yourself a life long Pens fan. I have been to many Canes games over the years when they weren't playing the Sabres and merely enjoyed it for the competiton of NHL hockey. I had no rooting interest in the outcome whatsoever because I'm a life long Sabres fan.

I have had this discussion too many times with team-swapping neighbors and co-workers, I guess the fierce loyalty is just a Buffalo thing that others can't understand.

Oh give me a fuggin break. This is about the dumbest post I've ever seen. Even though this post wasn't about the Pens vs. Sabres and Superfandom as you have made it........you've chosen to make it that way.

If you must know, aside from being a Bills season ticket holder......I am also a partial plan Pittsburgh Penguins, and a partial Pittsburgh Pirates season ticket holder. I will hopefully be at every Penguins playoff game this season (barring a few), since I purcahsed the playoff package, which is the main reason I am a partial season ticket holder. Same with the Buccos. That means I'll most likely also go to some on the road......especially if they end up at New Jersey, Buffalo or Carolina along the way.

Don't lecture me on how good of a fan I am of Pittsburgh teams. As a matter of fact, if you'd like to know, and make this about how fiercly loyal I am to the Pens.....why don't think back to 2001, as that was the last season I was able to see MY Pens in the playoffs. Aside from attending game 5 of the Eatern Conference finals in New Jersey, I seem to remember the round before between the Pens and Buffalo.

How does Mario Lemieux, with about a minute to play ring a bell? Martin Straka in OT, how's that sound? Or let's move on to the next game......Darius Kasparaitus??????? Sound familiar. I attended every game of that series from game 3 on. And I will say that we had ZERO trouble getting tickets for any of the games in Buffalo. ZERO. As a matter of fact, for the last two games of that series in Buffalo, we sat 8 rows from the ice, where the Pens shot twice......with our MOOSE antlers on, only to be outdone by a couple of thousand Pens fans in the upper deck...........esp in game 5.

So, take your super fandom and stick it up your ass.......you're barking up the wrong tree. And if the Pens are ever out again, I will most likely go to Carolina and have a great time again. Just like my other 4 friends from the Burgh, who did the exact same thing. It's a fun time down there.

Now, let me know if you need any tickets for the Pens - Buffalo series, should one happen. I'd be happy to find you some at about 10 times face value.

Pens will be gone in Round 1. For as good as Pittsburgh is playing, there is a team that is playing better right now and flying under the radar: the Ottawa Senators. Yes, I know, they are a classic playoff collapse franchise. And the Penguins are a nice story and are getting some pub with the youngsters like Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury. But I don't see Pittsburgh beating Ottawa. This year's Ottawa is like last year's Sabres...Playing well, staying close to the front of the pack, and doing it without much fanfare. Ottawa as a 4 or 5 seed is much more dangerous than the #1 or #2 seeded Senators teams that have consistently underperformed in years past.

Either way, one of those two gone in Rd 1 is good news for the Sabres...And if the favorites prevail in the other series, the Sabres would get the winner of the 4 vs. 5 matchup...Hopefully they beat each other up!

I was thinking the same thing too.

I remember zero references to being a Pens fan last year..what a shock! :thumbsup:

Pens will be gone in Round 1. For as good as Pittsburgh is playing, there is a team that is playing better right now and flying under the radar: the Ottawa Senators. Yes, I know, they are a classic playoff collapse franchise. And the Penguins are a nice story and are getting some pub with the youngsters like Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury. But I don't see Pittsburgh beating Ottawa. This year's Ottawa is like last year's Sabres...Playing well, staying close to the front of the pack, and doing it without much fanfare. Ottawa as a 4 or 5 seed is much more dangerous than the #1 or #2 seeded Senators teams that have consistently underperformed in years past.

Either way, one of those two gone in Rd 1 is good news for the Sabres...And if the favorites prevail in the other series, the Sabres would get the winner of the 4 vs. 5 matchup...Hopefully they beat each other up!

Agreed. Pittsburgh will be gone in the first. Only team from the east that really worries me is Ottawa. I still see us playing the NYI's in the first round for some reason.

Oh give me a fuggin break. This is about the dumbest post I've ever seen. Even though this post wasn't about the Pens vs. Sabres and Superfandom as you have made it........you've chosen to make it that way.

If you must know, aside from being a Bills season ticket holder......I am also a partial plan Pittsburgh Penguins, and a partial Pittsburgh Pirates season ticket holder. I will hopefully be at every Penguins playoff game this season (barring a few), since I purcahsed the playoff package, which is the main reason I am a partial season ticket holder. Same with the Buccos. That means I'll most likely also go to some on the road......especially if they end up at New Jersey, Buffalo or Carolina along the way.

Don't lecture me on how good of a fan I am of Pittsburgh teams. As a matter of fact, if you'd like to know, and make this about how fiercly loyal I am to the Pens.....why don't think back to 2001, as that was the last season I was able to see MY Pens in the playoffs. Aside from attending game 5 of the Eatern Conference finals in New Jersey, I seem to remember the round before between the Pens and Buffalo.

How does Mario Lemieux, with about a minute to play ring a bell? Martin Straka in OT, how's that sound? Or let's move on to the next game......Darius Kasparaitus??????? Sound familiar. I attended every game of that series from game 3 on. And I will say that we had ZERO trouble getting tickets for any of the games in Buffalo. ZERO. As a matter of fact, for the last two games of that series in Buffalo, we sat 8 rows from the ice, where the Pens shot twice......with our MOOSE antlers on, only to be outdone by a couple of thousand Pens fans in the upper deck...........esp in game 5.

So, take your super fandom and stick it up your ass.......you're barking up the wrong tree. And if the Pens are ever out again, I will most likely go to Carolina and have a great time again. Just like my other 4 friends from the Burgh, who did the exact same thing. It's a fun time down there.

Now, let me know if you need any tickets for the Pens - Buffalo series, should one happen. I'd be happy to find you some at about 10 times face value.

Relax. I never questioned your Pens loyalty, you clearly stated that you have that. When they are winning. If they aren't then you'll hop on another teams' bandwagon. Your kind is plentiful in these parts so you fit right in. No big deal.

I fear the Pens' first line, and their goaltender.

I fear all of Ottawa's lines and THEIR goaltender.

I don't fear anything about NJ really. They don't have the scoring to keep pace, even WITH Brodeur in net.

The rest are all fodder.

I gotta say, though, I hope the loafs make it in at 8, and that the Sabres throttle them in 4. Here's to hoping the Sabres effectively end Jersey's chase for the top spot this week, and holds off Ottawa for the division.

I don't fear anything about NJ really. They don't have the scoring to keep pace, even WITH Brodeur in net.

The rest are all fodder.

I gotta say, though, I hope the loafs make it in at 8, and that the Sabres throttle them in 4. Here's to hoping the Sabres effectively end Jersey's chase for the top spot this week, and holds off Ottawa for the division.

I fear NJ's goaltender only.

As a Pens fan, I agree with this 100%. I think this may the year for Ottawa to be honest. They are getting ZERO attention, and I think that bodes well for them. At the same time though, you have to think of it this way......The Pens are now tied with NJ for first in the division. If the Pens get to that #2 seed, they pummel who they play in the first round. If the Pens get stuck with Ottawa, I think Ottawa can beat them. I think the Pens have a good shot at winning the division though. NJ is slumping right now, and has a tough week of games this week. The Pens play Washington and Boston.

If the Pens get to #2 in the East, then they will be sitting in great shape.

Your post is dead on.

The rest are all fodder.

The Pens goaltending is their weak spot. They have two lines that I wouldn't trade with anyone in the NHL. Fleury is the weak link. As a matter of fact, over the last 3-4 weeks, Thibault has been better than Fleury. Fleury has a tendency to let in a lot of soft and late goals.