Time to ask whether fighting belongs

millbank

Does Fighting belong now?

Responding to questions regarding Wednesday night's incident with Todd Fedoruk, Colin Campbell wondered if it was time to bring up a subject that's been long debated.

''I think it's time to ask the question,'' Campbell told The Canadian Press on Thursday. ''I think you have to ask the question because of what's happening out there. It's incumbent on me, because of my position, to ask the question.''

The latest evidence in the case against fighting was Fedoruk being stretchered off the ice Wednesday night.

Related Info

Campbell is no namby-pamby. He used to drop the gloves in his day as an NHL player.

But the NHL's director of hockey operations worries about what could happen today.

''I'm not afraid now to talk about the fact that we should look at fighting in hockey,'' said Campbell. ''I think if you discussed this even three or four years ago you would have got pooh-poohed out of the game.

''But now I think because of the size of our players, where we're at in sports and in life, I think we have to look at it.''

It's going to be a hard, long battle to convince enough people, though.

Does Fighting belong now?

Responding to questions regarding Wednesday night's incident with Todd Fedoruk, Colin Campbell wondered if it was time to bring up a subject that's been long debated.

''I think it's time to ask the question,'' Campbell told The Canadian Press on Thursday. ''I think you have to ask the question because of what's happening out there. It's incumbent on me, because of my position, to ask the question.''

The latest evidence in the case against fighting was Fedoruk being stretchered off the ice Wednesday night.

Related Info

Campbell is no namby-pamby. He used to drop the gloves in his day as an NHL player.

But the NHL's director of hockey operations worries about what could happen today.

''I'm not afraid now to talk about the fact that we should look at fighting in hockey,'' said Campbell. ''I think if you discussed this even three or four years ago you would have got pooh-poohed out of the game.

''But now I think because of the size of our players, where we're at in sports and in life, I think we have to look at it.''

It's going to be a hard, long battle to convince enough people, though.

I agree it's time to review the situation. I'm not sure of the answer...but a serious review is warranted. Personally, I find it to be a freakish side-show.

Whatever perspective one has on fighting it does seem only a matter of time until a death does happen. Its on those responsible for

implementing the rules of the game, that all concerned do their level best this does not occur.

I agree it's time to review the situation. I'm not sure of the answer...but a serious review is warranted. Personally, I find it to be a freakish side-show.

Whatever perspective one has on fighting it does seem only a matter of time until a death does happen. Its on those responsible for

implementing the rules of the game, that all concerned do their level best this does not occur.

People gotta die, Grant. It's just a matter of when and how.

:thumbsup:

Fighting belongs. Fedoruk doesn't.

Seriously...I've never seen anyone get KO'd during a fight before like he was, and doesn't he have a steel plate bolted to each side of his jaw? One might suspect that he's not healthy enough to be fighting to begin with...

Plus...he's a Flyer.

Fighting is one of the many great parts of a great game. Right around the time of the Sabres-Sens rumble, I heard a guy arguing against fighting, and his point was, "How am I going to bring my 10-year old to a game and have him sit there and watch two players abandon the sport they are playing so that they can throw punches at each other?" The other guy asked him if he went to a lot of Blackhawks games when he was 10-years old growing up in Chicago. He said, "Of course, I went all the time." The other guy responded, "And didn't you love the fights?" And the guy yelled, "Of course I loved the fights!" But apparently, now that he's older and wiser, he will take it upon himself to make sure that nobody is scarred for life because they were forced to watch two goons swing away.

Even if you're not a hockey fan, would you EVER change the channel when you see two guys fighting?

The fact that the NHL currently has a rinky-dink TV deal plays a role here, too. Many announcers, analysts, and even NHL front office personell want to use fighting as a scapegoat for why they can't appeal to mass audiences and why they can't get on ESPN. That's horseschit. The only time the sport makes it on to ESPN is when there's a good fight. These morons need to stop using fighting as a crutch and realize that the production value of a televised game does nothing to bring the live action of an incredibly quick and exciting sport to the home viewer. Don't play me for an idiot and tell me that the 0.65 fights per game is the reason TV execs are wary of showing hockey. I just watched Terminator 2 on ABC the other day. I think there was slightly more fighting in that.

Mark me down as one for fighting. Easy for me to say I guess since im not in there taking shots. Last night, Sharks Mark Bell took out Thrashers John Sim for the year by busting his orbital in this

. I like fights but I don't like seeing guys seriously hurt. Unless its someone like Torres on the Oilers.

Fighting belongs. Fedoruk doesn't.

Seriously...I've never seen anyone get KO'd during a fight before like he was, and doesn't he have a steel plate bolted to each side of his jaw? One might suspect that he's not healthy enough to be fighting to begin with...

Plus...he's a Flyer.

I think your right Tom. He's had his face rebuilt twice. If I gave Fedoruk any credit, I'd say he faked his KO before he ended up with rebuild #3.

As for fighting....I like it when it's based out of emotion. However I can do without the staged fight crap.