Tubby Smith goes to University of Minn.

Stl Bills

Good for Tubby. The treatment he got from KU fans this year was unforgivable. He deserved better. The Gophers INSTANTLY become contenders for national champs in a few short years.

Agree 100% with what you say about the KU boosters. Toss the local media in there too.

Good for Tubby. The treatment he got from KU fans this year was unforgivable. He deserved better. The Gophers INSTANTLY become contenders for national champs in a few short years.

I don't follow college basketball at all, but I hope you're right. The Gophers haven't really been good since Clem Haskins, and he did it by having his students cheat in school :thumbsup:

CW

I don't follow college basketball at all, but I hope you're right. The Gophers haven't really been good since Clem Haskins, and he did it by providing his players with the same preferential classroom treatment that athletes at most other schools receive, but at UMinn, the girl writing the papers wasn't getting paid enough to keep quiet and ratted out the program to the media. :worthy:

CW

Fixed your post.... :thumbsup:

Steve Alford (sp?) from Iowa to New Mexico is a little tougher to understand. Smith got shat on at Kentucky & moved to a school in a high profile conference that has turned around a football program and excels in other sports. New Mexico? I guess expectations won't be terribly high.

Well the football players, at that time anyway, always went to get their own books and went to class... Of course, maybe that's why the football program sucked :worthy:

Smokey Jokey has a point, as do you.

Most big-time programs get away with a WHOLE lot in this area. the athletes have "tutors" and special "advisers" who:

(Best case scenario) Guide the player, help them...TUTOR them

(Common case scenario) All of the above and make sure their work gets done. Make sure they go to class (at least sometimes). Maybe sign in for them in lecture classes

(Worst case scenario...and common, as well, I'd guess) Write the papers for the player, go to classes for the player, etc

Of course there's the Woody Hayes ( "Just pass my player or I'll have your ass thrown out of here") approach. :worthy:

When I did my stint at Canisius, the coaches would call me almost every week to ask how the player was doing in class. More often than not, my answer was, "I don't know, He's never been to class or taken any test or done any assignment." After I failed 4 or 5 players, the dean (not me, The Dean) asked me to change their grades.. For the record: I didn't. :thumbsup:

I for one applaud Tubby.

I think that there was a group of boosters that had it in for the coach...because he wasn't Rick Pitino.

An argument can and has been made that many of the boosters would never get behind a black basketball coach, and it could be true, but I don't think it's the biggest reason.

Tubby wasn't flashy, gave his so-so son a lot of minutes, and simply didn't win enough to satisfy the money people at UK, who think they should go to the Final Four every year.

Go to Minneapolis, Tubby, and rebuild the Gophers into a power. You'll live longer up there.