Talks between Bills and Chris Brown heating up.

PIZ

When you are talking about Leon Hall the bigh question is this. Is he better or will he better than Ashton Yobouty? I watched a lot of Leon Hall the past 4 years being a big Michigan fan. (Go Blue) He has very sound fundamentals as far as playing tight coverage on the shorter routes and fighting for the football. He also has good hands when it comes to making interceptions.

NO -

the comparison is whether he can play zone coverage and replace McGee.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And all I'm saying is that past events don't necessarily have any impact on the future. Just because Cowher tanked his previous chances at a Super Bowl victory didn't mean he couldn't go out and finish the job. And just because Brown has had injuries in the past (as long as they aren't chronic injuries) doesn't mean he'll go out there and do the same again.

Okay. I still think he's injury prone.

Would you expand on that- I thought he had one limiting injury over his 4 years in the league, but I haven't really paid much attention to him. What can you tell me about multiple injuries and lost playing time?

I don't follow him closely either, however I do admit to playing fantasy football and recall the constant bemoaning of Chris Brown owners as soon as he became the Titans' number one back ('04). It seemed to me that he was constantly nursing some sort of injury that prevented him from finishing games. In 2004 he only started (and played in) 11 of 16 games. In 2005 he started 14 but only ran the ball 224 times. In 2006, as Henry took over the bulk of duties, he only started 3 and played in 5.

I believe his history has been one of starting strong and then "tweaking" something that forces him out for short periods of time. This is discouraging to me because he put up some great numbers in his limited opportunities.

I don't follow him closely either, however I do admit to playing fantasy football and recall the constant bemoaning of Chris Brown owners as soon as he became the Titans' number one back ('04). It seemed to me that he was constantly nursing some sort of injury that prevented him from finishing games. In 2004 he only started (and played in) 11 of 16 games. In 2005 he started 14 but only ran the ball 224 times. In 2006, as Henry took over the bulk of duties, he only started 3 and played in 5.

I believe his history has been one of starting strong and then "tweaking" something that forces him out for short periods of time. This is discouraging to me because he put up some great numbers in his limited opportunities.

The talent has never been the issue. It's these small little nagging injuries that keep hitting him...ie: turf toe..hammy etc etc

He's been hurt pretty much every year. Although IMO they have been somewhat freakish injuries. Two toes, a hamstring and an ankle. But the nagging injuries kept him in and out of the line-up. To me, it's impossible to say whether he is brittle or just unlucky.

It's a shame if his 5th season follows the pattern. The biggest bummer is that his style might be a perfect fit with the OLine we've put together, a guy who runs skinny in the holes, does absolutely no dancing and has the burst to burn dishonest D's bringing their safeties up for run support. Add that to the great changeup ATrain makes to a runner like Brown- a grinder to beat up the D while the "deep threat" takes a blow.

The other side of this statistically though is that he has run for an average of over 15 carries a game twice in 4 years. His duties with us might end up right in that range- with the 3 back rotation I expect this year under any circumstances. It's probably wise to consider how quickly the TN offense wore out a very, very good, physical and durable runner in Eddie George. They ask their runners to take a lot more punishment than most offenses.

a guy who runs skinny in the holes, does absolutely no dancing

The key to not "dancing" is having holes for the RB to run through.

With any luck, our new line will give whoever the RB is some holes to run through.

The key to not "dancing" is having holes for the RB to run through.

With any luck, our new line will give whoever the RB is some holes to run through.

If there's been one impression of Brown's style that is vivid in my mind, it's his decisiveness and ability to make a very slight amount of daylight work. I remember too many times thinking "how'd he ever get in and out of that hole", and for as tall as he plays his balance is pretty good. There'll be no complaints from me if he's signed and gets listed on top of our running back chart going into the first game of the regular season.

If there's been one impression of Brown's style that is vivid in my mind, it's his decisiveness and ability to make a very slight amount of daylight work. I remember too many times thinking "how'd he ever get in and out of that hole", and for as tall as he plays his balance is pretty good. There'll be no complaints from me if he's signed and gets listed on top of our running back chart going into the first game of the regular season.

Will you complain when he's listed on the PUP list going into the second game of the season?

NO -

the comparison is whether he can play zone coverage and replace McGee.

Interesting. Are you saying we go with the big ten pairing of Leon Hall and Ashton Yobouty as our starting corners with Terrence McGee as the nickel back? Basically two rookies starting. Both skilled but rookies nonetheless. McGee's best coverage seems to be when he is covering an inside slot receiver.

Your impression of Brown is the same as mine. He make the small hole work. We have AT and I'm sure we will draft another capable RB. I'd be VERY happy to have Chris Brown and ride his as long as he can stay healthy.

Will you complain when he's listed on the PUP list going into the second game of the season?

Not a chance. My assessment is that he's played in a running back graveyard at TN, where even a guy who was one of the most incredible specimens at the position only lasted at best 2/3rds of a regular career compared to how EGeorge might have fared at most franchises. The TN attitude for RBs has been ride'em till they die. I say there's enough of a chance that this young kid could knockout 13-17 rushes a game and give ATrain a chance to grab his own 30 tough yards a game that in an assumed 3 man rotation the equation, and the risk associated, makes it all well worth it. Brown drops after 2 games it sucks- but Brown lasting to game 14 with a team best 950 yards would make it all very smart. Given his skillset and the fit I believe he has with our specific big body run blcoking Oline, I'm fine with the Bill's rolling the dice here.

The other side of this statistically though is that he has run for an average of over 15 carries a game twice in 4 years. His duties with us might end up right in that range- with the 3 back rotation I expect this year under any circumstances. It's probably wise to consider how quickly the TN offense wore out a very, very good, physical and durable runner in Eddie George. They ask their runners to take a lot more punishment than most offenses.

As I typed my response to your question yesterday I thought the same thing when I did the math (16 carries per game in 2005). That actually DOES work in what appears to be a decision at OBD to implement a RBBC approach.

I'd be fine w/ Brown joining the squad if the deal makes sense financially.

As I typed my response to your question yesterday I thought the same thing when I did the math (16 carries per game in 2005). That actually DOES work in what appears to be a decision at OBD to implement a RBBC approach.

I'd be fine w/ Brown joining the squad if the deal makes sense financially.

the you add Lorenzo Booker as a 3rd down back or Brandon Jackson as a guy with some upside