Sabres one step closer to clinching the East

eball

Buffalo still has a 5-pt. lead over NJ w/ a game in hand. If the Sabres can play merely .500 hockey the rest of the way, NJ would have to win 8 of 9 to overtake them.

Home game vs. lowly Caps tonight -- get it done, boys!

Buffalo still has a 5-pt. lead over NJ w/ a game in hand. If the Sabres can play merely .500 hockey the rest of the way, NJ would have to win 8 of 9 to overtake them.

Home game vs. lowly Caps tonight -- get it done, boys!

eball you are out of your mind. Read a few posts around here and you will see what you have been missing. Everyone knows this team is shot and is not ready for the playoffs. Look at their record since starting out 10-0. They are only like 35-19. Look at their record if you take away the shootout. Look at all their injuries. Darcy should have seen this coming and had some NHL-caliber substitutes ready for action when they lost a forward in six straight games.

Now here they are, still stuck at 99 points, while teams in the West like Nashville are healthy and running away with the best record in the league. I mean, they already have a point-total that is in the triple digits- is it even possible to catch them??? And...they've managed to compile the most points while playing 24 games against the powerhouses that are Chicago, Columbus, and St. Louis....The Sabres wouldn't stand a chance against them...

The smart money in the playoffs is on San Jose and Vancouver. I've read here several times that the Sabres lack grit...No Grier and no Pyatt means no Cup...Therefore, the teams that those guys are on must be the built for the playoffs (whatever that means,) so bet the farm.

;)<_<<_<:lol:<_<

eball you are out of your mind. Read a few posts around here and you will see what you have been missing. Everyone knows this team is shot and is not ready for the playoffs. Look at their record since starting out 10-0. They are only like 35-19. Look at their record if you take away the shootout. Look at all their injuries. Darcy should have seen this coming and had some NHL-caliber substitutes ready for action when they lost a forward in six straight games.

Now here they are, still stuck at 99 points, while teams in the West like Nashville are healthy and running away with the best record in the league. I mean, they already have a point-total that is in the triple digits- is it even possible to catch them??? And...they've managed to compile the most points while playing 24 games against the powerhouses that are Chicago, Columbus, and St. Louis....The Sabres wouldn't stand a chance against them...

The smart money in the playoffs is on San Jose and Vancouver. I've read here several times that the Sabres lack grit...No Grier and no Pyatt means no Cup...Therefore, the teams that those guys are on must be the built for the playoffs (whatever that means,) so bet the farm.

I know it, man...just hoping the Sabres are 'lucky' enough to fall ass-backwards into the #1 seed. Their goaltender gives up 3 or 4 softies a night, they have no PP, and Ruff isn't being honest with the fans about injury status. Honestly, the organ-eye-zation is in shambles.

Ok, I spit my coffee all over the keyboard reading the bold above. No one actaully said that, did they? That was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time....

Ok, I spit my coffee all over the keyboard reading the bold above. No one actaully said that, did they? That was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time....

It has been suggested many times here (usually when the Sabres are coming off of a loss) that the team is too "finesse-oriented" and that in the playoffs, guys like Grier and Pyatt are the guys you need. You know, slow lumbering forwards with bad hands are the guys that win games. Grier was a good player here, and filled a role well. However, I don't think it's any coincidence that Drury is having the best offensive season of his career now that the offensive drain MG is off his wing. Last year, Drury had 30 goals (16 on the PP) and 67 points in 81 games and had a +/- of -11. This year, he has 35 goals (16 on the PP) and 60 points in 67 games and is a +3. You could also say that the PK has struggled without Grier (or McKee) and you'd probably be right also.

Grier and Pyatt were fine players who you pretty much knew what you would get out of them. However, I think a lot of fans looking for a reason why this Sabres team doesn't have "it" are overstating the importance of players who are no longer around. If not having Mike Grier or Taylor Pyatt means you're in trouble, your team wasn't going anywhere in the first place.

Playoff success for the Sabres, much like the other 15 teams who make the playoffs, will revolve around goaltending. I have no worries with Miller and would take him over just about everyone else. As for grit, the Sabres don't seem to have much of it on paper, but when has a Lindy-coached Sabres team NOT played gritty in the playoffs??? He has a way of getting his players to step out of their comfort zones in the post season.

I'm very excited, and other than getting the team healthy, I couldn't be happier with the roster heading into the playoffs. Would you trade places/rosters with ANY other team?

It has been suggested many times here (usually when the Sabres are coming off of a loss) that the team is too "finesse-oriented" and that in the playoffs, guys like Grier and Pyatt are the guys you need. You know, slow lumbering forwards with bad hands are the guys that win games. Grier was a good player here, and filled a role well. However, I don't think it's any coincidence that Drury is having the best offensive season of his career now that the offensive drain MG is off his wing. Last year, Drury had 30 goals (16 on the PP) and 67 points in 81 games and had a +/- of -11. This year, he has 35 goals (16 on the PP) and 60 points in 67 games and is a +3. You could also say that the PK has struggled without Grier (or McKee) and you'd probably be right also.

Grier and Pyatt were fine players who you pretty much knew what you would get out of them. However, I think a lot of fans looking for a reason why this Sabres team doesn't have "it" are overstating the importance of players who are no longer around. If not having Mike Grier or Taylor Pyatt means you're in trouble, your team wasn't going anywhere in the first place.

Playoff success for the Sabres, much like the other 15 teams who make the playoffs, will revolve around goaltending. I have no worries with Miller and would take him over just about everyone else. As for grit, the Sabres don't seem to have much of it on paper, but when has a Lindy-coached Sabres team NOT played gritty in the playoffs??? He has a way of getting his players to step out of their comfort zones in the post season.

I'm very excited, and other than getting the team healthy, I couldn't be happier with the roster heading into the playoffs. Would you trade places/rosters with ANY other team?

I understand people being upset about Grier, he and Drury were incredible on the penalty kills. Throw in McKee's blocked shots and it's no wonder why the penalty kill has struggled at times this year. But Pyatt? Is he even playing this year? I haven't heard his name once and losing him was no big deal at all as far as I am concerned. The post season is a different beast, guys that normally do not hit will finish checks. I am not worried about the "grit" of the Sabres at all. The defense, on the other hand, is a different story! We shall see, GO SABRES!!!

Excellent post. You know what is even more important come playoff time than this perceived lack of 'grit' that a lot of people keep harping on? Luck. The teams in the playoffs are just too close in overall talent, often the victor in a seven game series simply comes down to who got more breaks (see last years Cup winners). The Sabres playing at the top of their game with grit and determination will not equal a Cup, they also need the bounces and a healthy line-up to really stand their best chance of binging it home. Either way I'm going to enjoy watching it, which is something a lot of other people just can't seem to do.

I now, they should just hand the Sabres the cup right now, I mean, they are injured and still have 99 points with 10 games left and are in the top 5 of the league. The cup is theirs.

Look at last year, the Huricanes and Oilers were the powerhouses of the NHL all year and then made it to the cup finals, never has the league ever had a team not in the top 5 not win a cup.

Seriously, Ottawa was the favorite for most of the year last year and where did that get them. Detroit won the presidents trophy and where did they end up? Anything can happen, and teams can turn it around and surprise come playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pens become this years version of last years Sabres. predicted to get another #1 and then come together and becoem one of the top teams in the league

The Sabres have faults, and even thoguh their record looks great on paper, its not like they are playing flawless hockey

Excellent post. You know what is even more important come playoff time than this perceived lack of 'grit' that a lot of people keep harping on? Luck. The teams in the playoffs are just too close in overall talent, often the victor in a seven game series simply comes down to who got more breaks (see last years Cup winners). The Sabres playing at the top of their game with grit and determination will not equal a Cup, they also need the bounces and a healthy line-up to really stand their best chance of binging it home. Either way I'm going to enjoy watching it, which is something a lot of other people just can't seem to do.

Good point- Luck is huge. Good teams will make their own luck on the ice, but there are things like losing four defensemen that can only be chalked up to unlucky. Didn't it seem like everytime Carolina got a PP last year in the series against the Sabres, a Buffalo player broke a stick and had to play without one??? The Canes did a good job of taking advantage of those lucky breaks.

The luck of stumbling into a hot goaltender is also key. Who could've predicted last year that Cam Ward would win 15 playoff games (and the Conn Smythe) after winning only 14 games during the regular season?

Something that's not lucky: Playing well enough over the course of 82 games to earn home-ice advantage in the playoffs. Since 1939, when the NHL adopted the 7-game format, a playoff series has gone to the limit 121 times. The home team has won 81 of those game 7's (67%).

I now, they should just hand the Sabres the cup right now, I mean, they are injured and still have 99 points with 10 games left and are in the top 5 of the league. The cup is theirs.

That's the last thing I'm saying. It is the hardest trophy to win and is not handed to anybody. I'm just saying, what team would you rather be supporting going into the playoffs? Don't the Sabres have as good (or maybe even better) chance than anybody to win it all? They have talent, determination, and unlike last year, playoff experience.

Look at last year, the Huricanes and Oilers were the powerhouses of the NHL all year and then made it to the cup finals, never has the league ever had a team not in the top 5 not win a cup.

Carolina was one of the best teams in the NHL all season last year.

Seriously, Ottawa was the favorite for most of the year last year and where did that get them. Detroit won the presidents trophy and where did they end up? Anything can happen, and teams can turn it around and surprise come playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pens become this years version of last years Sabres. predicted to get another #1 and then come together and becoem one of the top teams in the league

Isn't the point of playing games to win them? I realize that cruising to the best record in the regular season guarantees nothing for the playoffs. However, are you supposed to lose games? Hell no. Win them all if you can. A division title and the Presidents Cup is certainly soured by not winning in the playoffs, but at least you gave yourself the best opportunity by earning a high seed and home ice. If fans can't be happy about their team compiling the more points than 29 other franchises over the course of 82 games, then they need to reevaluate why they are fans.

The Sabres have faults, and even thoguh their record looks great on paper, its not like they are playing flawless hockey

Who are these teams without faults? Who is playing flawless hockey? How much ground have the Sabres lost while playing this flawed style? Can you name another team who could remain at the top of the NHL while playing 7 minor leaguers? Remember when Toronto and Montreal were hot the chase? A few key injuries now have them battling for 8th place. Can't I feel good about the overall status of the organization?

I fully realize the challenge that's ahead for the Sabres. Can't I look back at what has been accomplished and feel proud and excited? If not, please let me know. I'll adjust my fan philosophies.

The playoffs are such an incredibly long, grueling process. I think the best we should hope for is a healthy team when it starts...and a little bit of luck.

This should be a freaking exciting playoff year.

I am excited..I want this to be a 4 banner year

Lord knows the rafters need them.

Will these banners have the slug on them? Probably, right? So we'll have three sets of Sabres banners/logos hanging in the Arena? That's going to look...umm...interesting???