Do Any Of You Buckeye Fans Know About.....

Doug Datish? He wasn't going to get much playing time at OC with Mangold on the team, but he sounds like a guy we would want in terms of filling in for, and perhaps eventually replacing Fowler.

I would appreciate any info from people who watched him.

Would be the perfect add to the mix IMHO in the . Never going to be a star but he is the equivalent of a top-notch utility player. Love this guy and believe he'll be a quality starter if given a couple of years. Would be a perfect pick for this team.

Profile: Combine Results Pro Day Results

Combine Invite: YesHeight: 6041

Weight: 302

40 Yrd Dash: 5.13

20 Yrd Dash: 2.99

10 Yrd Dash: 1.75

Wonderlic: 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 31

Vertical Jump: 26

Broad Jump: 8'6"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.65

3-Cone Drill: 7.51

Dates: 03/10/07

Height: 6041

Weight: 302

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

Did not do agility drills at Pro day. 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Overview

Datish fits the mold of recent Ohio State offensive linemen who have entered the NFL ? versatile, strong and aggressive. The consummate team player, Datish has played every position on the OSU front wall during his career. With situational substitution a major factor in the pros, having an athlete with the ability to play a variety of positions and even handle deep snapping duties is a high priority that will make Datish an inviting prospect on draft day.

His father, Mike Datish, played for the Buckeyes in 1975 when OSU posted an 11-1 record and went to a still unprecedented fourth consecutive Rose Bowl.

Doug is not only a solid performer on the field, but also excels in the classroom. He received his degree in History at the end of the 2005-06 Winter Quarter and is currently attending graduate school.

On the football field, he stepped in at center for graduated Nick Mangold, a first-round pick of the New York Jets in last spring's NFL Draft, and more than capably filled those big shoes. For his career, Datish started 35 of 41 games, starting 14 times at center, at left tackle in 12 games and at left guard in nine others.

Datish was considered one of the top linemen in the nation as a senior at Howland High School. He earned first-team All-Ohio honors as a senior and was a standout on both offense and defense. He was selected as the Associated Press Division II Co-Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.

Super Prep rated him the fifth-best offensive lineman in the country and he earned Prep Star Dream Team honors. Datish also played basketball as a freshman, but concentrated on football his last three years.

In 2002, Datish enrolled at Ohio State, spending the season performing on the scout team as an offensive guard. He appeared briefly in four games at the right guard position in 2003. Hard work in preseason camp saw him earn a starting job at left guard in 2005, where he started nine games. He also started at center for an injured Mangold against Michigan State.

In 2005, Datish switched positions with Rob Sims, taking over left tackle duties while Sims shifted inside to left guard. Datish moved again in 2006, taking over center duties with Mangold in the NFL. He provided stellar pass protection in the pivot, helping quarterback Troy Smith win the Heisman Trophy. Despite his third move in three years, Datish did not allow any quarterback sacks or pressures in 2006, and was awarded with All-Big Ten Conference first-team honors.

Analysis

Positives: Has a well-proportioned frame with good chest thickness, developing upper body arm muscles and has room to add at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness...Natural mover off the snap with smooth footwork in his kick slide and retreat to protect the pocket...Has nimble feet on the move, showing ease of movement sliding left or right...Gets out of his stance quickly and has the short-area burst to block in the second level...Natural knee bender who does an effective job breaking down in space...Very intelligent player who not only calls blocking assignments, but knows the plays for every position on the line...Very alert to stunts and twists and does a good job of firing out of his stance with a strong hand punch to jolt...More of a position-and-sustain type of finesse blocker, but consistently maintains hand position to sustain...Keeps his pads down and plays with a solid base, as it is rare to see him go to the ground...Keeps his feet moving and shows patience, as he won't lunge just to make a block...Quick out of stance on pulls and traps, squaring his shoulders properly while keeping his hands in front to widen the rush lane...Has the hip snap to break down and adjust down field...Shows the alertness and agility to recover in his pass set, sliding his feet laterally to mirror the rusher...Does a good job of getting his hands inside the opponent and generates a functional pop on contact (more finesse though)...Was one of the best deep snappers in high school (not asked to snap in college) and has a snap time average of 7.0 seconds (with an NFL ball)...Has the incline quickness to get into position and sustain.

Negatives: Needs to increase his overall bulk and improve his lower body strength, as he tends to lose anchor at times, especially vs. stunts...Doesn't have the hand punch or brute strength to drive an opponent off the ball...Knows angles and sticks to his blocks, but without more strength he won't be able to match up vs. the bigger NFL nose guards... Must strike with more force (lacks a strong hand punch), but does a good job of keeping his hands inside...Also must be more active with those hands in attempts to lock on and control (still learning how to grab).

Compares To: BRAD MEESTER-Jacksonville...Like Meester, Datish's versatility will see him get drafted higher than his draft stock indicates. He has good short-area quickness and nimble feet, but must learn to shoot his hands with a stronger punch and improve his lower body strength to maintain position vs. stunts. At the Senior Bowl practices, he was having trouble vs. strength moves, which is to be expected due to his lower body power issues. But he also struggled to pick up the quick stunts.

Doug Datish? He wasn't going to get much playing time at OC with Mangold on the team, but he sounds like a guy we would want in terms of filling in for, and perhaps eventually replacing Fowler.

I would appreciate any info from people who watched him.

Solid pick - late 3rd, early 4th. I see similarities to Eric Ghiaciuc - Central Michigan, #4 CIN selection 2005. I think Datish is more polished, though.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=S...ite=Doug+Datish

I'm not impressed. He reminds me a bit of Fowler, in that he's got very good skills, but is not the strongest of centers. He's particularly lacking vs bull rushers, something he'll see a bit more regularly in the NFL. Considering the size of the DTs/NTs nowadays, you're better off w/ guys who won't get overpowered too much.

I'm not impressed. He reminds me a bit of Fowler, in that he's got very good skills, but is not the strongest of centers. He's particularly lacking vs bull rushers, something he'll see a bit more regularly in the NFL. Considering the size of the DTs/NTs nowadays, you're better off w/ guys who won't get overpowered too much.

That's a fair comment. Still, a fellow who seems to have decent understanding of line play can pay dividends as they get some NFL games under their belt. And can help the general bench strength. It's not just a case of I'm strong and I'm big, therefore I am good. You aren't getting into a Battle of The Titans every play...a good angle, good position, quickly executed, is useful.

Perhaps, but:

Despite his third move in three years, Datish did not allow any quarterback sacks or pressures in 2006, and was awarded with All-Big Ten Conference first-team honors.

Doesn't sound like he's getting bowled over much, to me

and

has room to add at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness

So, if this is accurate, he should be able to get to where he needs to be size-wise. If his technique is good and if he is smart and versatile, I think he'll make it in the NFL.

I think he is a bit more versatile and athletic than Fowler, but the comparison isn't unfair as far as it applies to the C position. The thing I love about Datish is that, in my humble opinion, his downside is incredibly low. At best, IMHO (and I am certainly not an expert), is a poor man's Adam Timmerman (without the Pro-Bowls). At worst, I believe he'll be the equivalent of Whittle. In fact, after I wrote this, I looked up Whittle's profile on ESPN. Do they sound similar or what:

"Whittle understand the mantra that the more you can do the longer you will be around. Whittle has learned to continue his career as a professional football player and plays multiple positions as well as contribute in a variety of ways on special teams. Whittle is able to play all five positions on the offensive line and is an intelligent player that uses angles to his advantage against defenders. He works hard to use great technique using hand placement and leverage to wall off opponents, but he lacks the power to move defenders and expand the hole. This lack of lower-leg strength is also evident when Whittle faces two-gap defensive linemen that are able to stalemate him at the point of attack and shed him to make plays. Whittle does a nice job in space engulfing linebackers at the second level when pulling. When asked to start at guard this season for Minnesota the Vikings actually fared better up front with Whittle in the game. In pass protection, Whittle does a very good job working his hips and feet together with average punch but good hand placement re-directing the pass rusher. Along with decent size Whittle brings versatility, football smarts and deceptive athleticism for an offensive lineman that will allow this veteran to continue to make a roster, get on the field and contribute."

That's a fair comment. Still, a fellow who seems to have decent understanding of line play can pay dividends as they get some NFL games under their belt. And can help the bench strength. It's not just a case of I'm strong and I'm big, therefore I am good. You aren't getting into a Battle of The Titans every play...a good angle, good position, quickly executed, is useful.

True, it isn't just about size. Lyle Sendlein from Texas, who is right 'round 300lbs, is a guy who is a very good pass blocker (impressed many @ the combine) who isn't nearly as weak in run blocking as Datish. Another guy who isn't really huge is Dan Mozes of West Virginia, who is an extremely good run blocker, but will probably fall to the later rounds due to some poor performances in Mobile and Indy. I think the kid can be a really good center in the pros, a backup for sure if not an eventual starter.

In terms of size, there's Fresno State's Kyle Young, who is 6-5 and 'bout 335. He's a guy who has played some tackle and guard before also. If he's available in the 4th (maybe) or 5th (not so sure) round, he'd be a decent player to pick up.

I like Datish. He has the intangibles for a long career as a quality NFL lineman. I'm talking 10 years plus.

Most people (and surprisingly, scouts included) don't realize that you have to have brains to be a lineman, in order to remember all of the pass and run-blocking schemes. It's why Mandarich failed in the NFL, and why Gallery and (notoriously here) Mike Williams, are failing.

Pure size and speed are nice on the line, but not needed as badly as say, running back. The kind of line that you want is a bunch of lunchpail guys who are not afraid to work in the trenches and get their hands dirty. Joe D. was that type of player. Kent Hull and Jim Richter were those type of players. It's one reason why the Bills' line had so much success in the late 80s and through much of the 90s.

If Datish is there in the third round (or even the fourth), by all means, take him!!!