I love this hit.....

JoeF

Funny, my favorite clip of Patrick Willis is from the Senior Bowl when Josh Beekman plants him on his azz. BAM! Pancake!

1:25 into the 1st Quarter First-quarter highlights link. Señoir Bolé

You should do yourself a favor and watch it.

By the way, the very next play is a nice Okoye highlight.

Funny, my favorite clip of Patrick Willis is from the Senior Bowl when Josh Beekman plants him on his azz. BAM! Pancake!

Or the reverse were he misplays himself right out of position....allowing a bigtime gain.....

Yep--he road graded him...my question is did the scheme require him to read and react rather than attack...Beekman was on him like a flash and in that situation you gotta know they are going to run...to every great play there is a downside...

Or the reverse were he misplays himself right out of position....allowing a bigtime gain.....

He followed the flow of the play-- he wasn't on the edge -- as a MLB he's supposed to follow the flow of the play..The OLB on the right side is the one who got bluffed..the MLB doesn't have contain responsibility..The right side end, corner and right side LB all bit on that one..

That play is hugely impressive for him--he ran 30 yards downfield to make the tackle despite having to change direction and reverse field.

He's caught out of position and does a nice job showing speed to recover. I love this guy and I would have no problem with us drafting him.

He followed the flow of the play-- he wasn't on the edge -- as a MLB he's supposed to follow the flow of the play..The OLB on the right side is the one who got bluffed..the MLB doesn't have contain responsibility..The right side end, corner and right side LB all bit on that one..

That play is hugely impressive for him--he ran 30 yards downfield to make the tackle despite having to change direction and reverse field.

Well, yes that's true and it actually made it onto Willis' highlight reel. He tracks down the back and makes the play 34 yds downfield. He probably ran 60 yards on that play as was faster than the safties and corners. That's what makes me think he'd be a good OLB. The other play - the touchdown - is what's got me not convinced he'd have a long career as a MLB.

Well, yes that's true and it actually made it onto Willis' highlight reel. He tracks down the back and makes the play 34 yds downfield. He probably ran 60 yards on that play as was faster than the safties and corners. That's what makes me think he'd be a good OLB. The other play - the touchdown - is what's got me not convinced he'd have a long career as a MLB.

If the Beekman play is typical -- he wouldn't help the run D very much and a conversion is not worth a #12 pick.

There is another youtube clip of Vermeil, Rich Eisen, Mayock, Jamie Dukes and Charles Davis talking about Willis during he Combine...they said he was impressive at the senior bowl...I wonder if this play was an anomaly. They were raving about him....It also shows him running the 40 at the combine--pretty damn impressive to see a guy that big and well defined moving like a corner.

Oh well--if we take him -- I guess the talent folks have more than youtube film on him.... :thumbsup: All good points though Nanker...very good points...

I can't think of any linebackers that are able to make plays when the o-lineman reach them clean. Urlacher - nope; Lewis - nope; Fletcher - certainly not

Linebackers aren't superheroes, they need protection from those big lineman or they get blown up virtually every time.

Willis is a great player but guys, remember we run a Tampa-2 defense, and Willis simply is not that kind of linebacker. I'd be *shocked* if we picked Willis; it wouldn't make any sense...unless there's an aspect to tampa-2 that I don't get, which is certainly possible. Yes, we need a MLB, but we need a guy who can change direction and cover down field. The Bills will be looking for the same kind of guys you see manning the middle for teams like the Colts and Tampa Bay. They'll be looking at smaller guys who can intercept passes and attack the line instead of holding their ground with their bulk and strength. Two names that come to mind who might be 3rd to 5th round picks for us at MLB are Justin Durant and Quincy Black. And that's where I'm betting we're going to get our LB depth from this draft. Like the COlts every year, we'll probably hear the names of a few new Bills who haven't shown up high on the player rankings you find online, namely because T-2 linebackers aren't in demand by everybody, so they tend to drop to the teams that need them. Few of us had ever heard of Keith Ellison, but that kid is going to be an OLB for us for a long time. He showed me an awful lot and fit right in. For this team, you're not going to see the bigger, more imposing LBs. T-2 linebackers are more like big safeties. Scheme is the only reason they extended Wire to play LB, and I believe he'll still be only depth and our ST gunner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YodiWVGS_8...ted&search=

We may not draft him..but this is what we need against the run.....He was out there by himself sometimes on the Ole Miss D....noone really knows what he can do with other skilled players around him..

I'd sure as hell rather see the Bills draft either Willis or Okoye than Lynch, as many on this board are advocating. Unless you're LaDainian Tomlinson, RBs are a dime a dozen.

Willis is a great player but guys, remember we run a Tampa-2 defense, and Willis simply is not that kind of linebacker. I'd be *shocked* if we picked Willis; it wouldn't make any sense...unless there's an aspect to tampa-2 that I don't get, which is certainly possible. Yes, we need a MLB, but we need a guy who can change direction and cover down field. The Bills will be looking for the same kind of guys you see manning the middle for teams like the Colts and Tampa Bay. They'll be looking at smaller guys who can intercept passes and attack the line instead of holding their ground with their bulk and strength. Two names that come to mind who might be 3rd to 5th round picks for us at MLB are Justin Durant and Quincy Black. And that's where I'm betting we're going to get our LB depth from this draft. Like the COlts every year, we'll probably hear the names of a few new Bills who haven't shown up high on the player rankings you find online, namely because T-2 linebackers aren't in demand by everybody, so they tend to drop to the teams that need them. Few of us had ever heard of Keith Ellison, but that kid is going to be an OLB for us for a long time. He showed me an awful lot and fit right in. For this team, you're not going to see the bigger, more imposing LBs. T-2 linebackers are more like big safeties. Scheme is the only reason they extended Wire to play LB, and I believe he'll still be only depth and our ST gunner.

I agree, but I've seen Willis reverse field and make the tackle on a RB, so I'm not throwing him out quite yet. :thumbsup::lol:

Durant (tied with Willis for fastest 40 time), Black, and Zak DeOssie (LB 2nd Place in the 40, ) would be great ILB picks in the 4th Round. I wouldn't put it past the Bills brass to make two ILB picks.

I agree.

:blink:One play from an all-star game definitely outweighs the 4 years of highly productive play in his teams system.

On top of that, he is dumb as a post (as all rookies are) and he couldn't possibly ever learn to play MLB - it's almost like astro-physics or rocket science. :thumbsup:

I agree.

:blink:One play from an all-star game definitely outweighs the 4 years of highly productive play in his teams system.

On top of that, he is dumb as a post (as all rookies are) and he couldn't possibly ever learn to play MLB - it's almost like astro-physics or rocket science. :worthy:

I'm not saying any of that. But there is a love fest here going on for the guy and the concensus of the proponents of taking Willis only rave about him. I know it was callous and unkind of me to throw cold water on their ballwashing delusional dreams, but that's what I do. At least JoeF understood the points I was trying to make. The Beekman play might be an anomaly, but it gave me pause to think about him. One certainly wouldn't want to be seeing their starting MLB pancaked consistently in goal line situations by a 315 lb pulling Guard. Even you might grow tired of that - perhaps.

As far as "learning to play MLB", I think he's already done that. The issue I have is will he be able to make a very long career of it there. I think he's better suited to be an OLB, and I would be okay with the pick, but not ecstatic.