Big, fat and lazy

obie_wan

From everyone's favorite website - http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Looks like a favorite Bills draft target has a few warts -

KRUMRIE BEATS UP BRANCH

Word trickling out of the Michigan Pro Day is that Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie roughed up defensive tackle Alan Branch in one of Krumrie's one-on-one slap fights.

Per a league source, Branch looked winded before he even got to the patented Krumrie spanking machine. At one point during his session with Krumrie, Branch appeared to be ready to quit.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com corroborates this in his Pro Day updates: "Tim Krumrie worked Branch hard during the position drills, and the scouts there said Branch did not look like he was in very good shape."

Krumrie, better known to most fans as the guy who got Theismanned during Super Bowl XXIII, is a legend in league circles for the no-pads hand-fighting test, to which he subjects many of the linemen he is scouting.

"It's Gladiator stuff," said one league source.

For Branch, who is projected by many as a top-ten pick, the end result apparently was thumbs down.

Krumrie said our beloved Tim Anderson was one of the best ever at the slap fight. Not sure the slap fight transfers to the NFL.

But I do a agree--there has been more buzz than this that Branch is lazy-- I would love to take him because big DT's with his quicks and anchoring ability are rare--but he got by on just being big and quick in college--he actually has to work hard and gain technique to succeed in the pros.

A side note--NFL Network Path to the draft last night was corners...Mike Mayock, who is quickly becoming my favorite draft pundit, said the position is deep but that Hall is a clear #1-- there are several cover 2 corners that can be had in rounds 2-4 (Hughes, Wilson from MD., Ross, TX, Jackson from Syracuse, etc.)

Krumrie said our beloved Tim Anderson was one of the best ever at the slap fight. Not sure the slap fight transfers to the NFL.

But I do a agree--there has been more buzz than this that Branch is lazy-- I would love to take him because big DT's with his quicks and anchoring ability are rare--but he got by on just being big and quick in college--he actually has to work hard and gain technique to succeed in the pros.

A side note--NFL Network Path to the draft last night was corners...Mike Mayock, who is quickly becoming my favorite draft pundit, said the position is deep but that Hall is a clear #1-- there are several cover 2 corners that can be had in rounds 2-4 (Hughes, Wilson from MD., Ross, TX, Jackson from Syracuse, etc.)

Mayock is one of the "experts' who thinks Branch is a boom or bust player- with a high chance of being a total washout.

Bills will taking a CB in round 3.

Will probably wait to see which RB drops into the 3rd round as well. Uner a committe approach, Bills could live with Booker or Brandon Jackson if none of the other RBs drop.

Branch had an excellent combine and was a force in college. I'm not going to put much stock in the pro-day, especially the useless Krumrie test which really landed us some stud DT's while he was here :thumbsup:

I think that test might be the only reason Krumrie still gets hired by anyone. He's all bark and no results.

I do, however, respect Mayock's opinion. The guy really knows his stuff.

Alan Branchs' workout numbers are pretty darn good for a player of his dimensions! The danger(s) here are the internet pundits that think Tim Krumries primative exercises are PROOF of the hit or miss prospects when it comes to playing at an NFL level. If he is stout against the run.... sign me up!!!

Mayock is one of the "experts' who thinks Branch is a boom or bust player- with a high chance of being a total washout.

Bills will taking a CB in round 3.

Will probably wait to see which RB drops into the 3rd round as well. Uner a committe approach, Bills could live with Booker or Brandon Jackson if none of the other RBs drop.

That "boom or bust" rep is scary - especially after the Mike Williams experiment. I like Willis at MLB with our choice at 12, and that assumes that Peterson (RB) and Okoye (DT) are off the board.

After that I say best player in round 2 and I hope the best player is either a RB, DT or CB.

Agree that in round 3 we have to focus more on postional needs but that is really a second day thing.

The man is a big space eater which we certainly need in the middle. Noone complained about his motor at Michigan. If he plays up to his potential he will be a steal at 12. A bigger question is if Willis, Branch and Peterson are available at 12, who do we take? Or do we still try and trade down to get another 2nd or 3rd? Remember we are more than one player away from making a run deep in the playoffs.

The man is a big space eater which we certainly need in the middle. Noone complained about his motor at Michigan. If he plays up to his potential he will be a steal at 12. A bigger question is if Willis, Branch and Peterson are available at 12, who do we take? Or do we still try and trade down to get another 2nd or 3rd? Remember we are more than one player away from making a run deep in the playoffs.

If we could trade down only 2 spots and still be guaranteed of getting one of the three-then definitely, otherwise I am not sure. I want someone who starts from day 1.

Alan Branch could be like a Ryan Sims or Jonathan Sullivan. Mel Kiper dropped him down to 24 on his big board. I suspect he may be avalilable when we are on the clock. Do we take this guy?

NO

Teflon Tom would have because he was always swinging for the fences.

However, a 1st rounder (#12) who busts sets the team back years.

I believe Marv follows the philosophy of giving up some upside in place of a higher floor with his high picks.

Branch may bring some trade offers but not if Mel's valuation at #24 has some merit.