Anyone hear Brian Wilson's Smile

millbank

Though much of the public may forever associate him with the Beach Boys' three-minute odes to sand, girls and cars, Wilson grew to be one of pop music's greatest composers.

After the Beatles stunned the pop music world with the release of the elaborately produced "Rubber Soul" in 1965, Wilson one-upped them with "Pet Sounds." The Beatles, in turn -- after releasing "Revolver" -- responded with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," a work still regarded by Rolling Stone magazine as the greatest rock album ever made ("Pet Sounds" is No. 2).

" 'Rubber Soul' was such an experience for me to hear that I went to my piano and I started writing 'Pet Sounds' right away," Wilson, dressed in blue jeans, a pullover shirt and tennis shoes, said recently during a break from rehearsing "Smile" for a concert tour.

Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson was a true genius. Even after his mind was toast, he came out with songs such as Heros and Villians, Sail on Sailor, and my personal Beachboy favorite, "Surf's Up."

I also put him in my top 5 musicians for getting stoned out, along with Keith Richards, Rick James, Jerry Garcia and David Crosby.

Did I omit any high-flyers?

Love his stuff. I've been following his career and also have done a lot of reading on Carl, Brian and my favorite Wilson- Dennis. Who would think Brian would last longer than Dennis or Carl. Their story is a truely tragic one, that is Dennis and Brian.