If Peterson drops...

Spikes51

That video is amazing. The team that drafts him is getting an incredible player...lightning fast, will drop his shoulder and run people over, spin, shake, twist, turn, skip his way to the end zone. I'd be ecstatic if we could draft him without giving up too much...but that won't happen. I think he's on another level than most rb's though...and I think he'd look good in a Bills uniform.

You can shave a lot of points and yards off your defense by having an offense that picks up an extra 2-4-6 first downs per game with a solid running game and explosive attack. I doubt he's going to be there but you have to take him, IMO, if he's available.

Agreed--but if you grab a guy like Frank Gore in the 3rd round, then why waste a high pick on a RB? I just don't see these high-pick RB's (Cadillac, Benson, Ronnie Brown) consistently being better than the lower round guys. (Same goes for DT's; with a few exceptions, you can get the same guy in the 3rd round than you can get in the 1st round). At #12, I hope we pick the top corner off the board.

Agreed--but if you grab a guy like Frank Gore in the 3rd round, then why waste a high pick on a RB? I just don't see these high-pick RB's (Cadillac, Benson, Ronnie Brown) consistently being better than the lower round guys.

With drafting players, it's not usually how good they can become.......it's the percentage chance that they become good.

About 50% of all 1st round RBs do not pan out for the team that drafts them.

I had a quick look at 2nd & 3rd round RBs & that number would be reduced to about 25% at best.

The 2nd/3rd rounders that succeed....Portis, Gore, etc......produce at a similar level(usually) to the successes from the 1st round. It's just that the chance of any given 2nd or 3rd round RB succeeding is much less than 1st round RBs.

This rule applies to virtually all positions. People tend to think......

"The higher the pick, the bigger the star!"

For the most of it, that is not true. It should be......

"The higher the pick, the bigger the chance of getting a star."

Note:- The only position that I've found it extaordianrily unlikely to get a star not drafted in the top 10 of the draft is OT. This is why Peters is such a find.

Agreed--but if you grab a guy like Frank Gore in the 3rd round, then why waste a high pick on a RB? I just don't see these high-pick RB's (Cadillac, Benson, Ronnie Brown) consistently being better than the lower round guys. (Same goes for DT's; with a few exceptions, you can get the same guy in the 3rd round than you can get in the 1st round). At #12, I hope we pick the top corner off the board.

Because for every Frank Gore there are more than 10 Vernan Morencys, Ryan Moats and Maurice Claretts, the other RBs that were drafted in the 3rd round that year. I could be wrong, but I believe that Peterson is more highly regarded as a pro prospect than Cadillac, Benson or Brown.

I don't think you automatically have to take him. But I think you do if the Bills brass and scouts have him listed as their top guy on their board, which would be highly likely.

I disagree big time. I don't see any runningbacks in Frank Gore's league being drafted in the third round this year. Hunt, Irons and Walker are career backup players and special-teamers nothing more. Unless Harrell goes in the thrid (which he won't be there) the same goes for defensive tackle. Who's the top corner that you'd want so badly, rather than having the Bills take Willis, Okoye or Peterson/Lynch?

Me too. But the reason I don't see him dropping is that the Browns will take him, groom him for a year as a backup RB, and start him in 08.

I don't think you take a guy that low (especially on a team like the Browns that have so many holes that any position is a need) and not expect him to be a starter/impact guy in his first year. The only position I think that sitting a year is a good thing for is a QB, only because they are the leader of the offence, and have the most to learn to become effective. Some can step right in and be effective, others need some time to develop. I think Clevland is more likely to draft a QB in the first then a RB

I don't think you automatically have to take him. But I think you do if the Bills brass and scouts have him listed as their top guy on their board, which would be highly likely.

It would be virtually impossible to pass on him if he's there--the only way would be for someone to knock your socks off in a trade proposal. He appears to be that good.

It would be virtually impossible to pass on him if he's there--the only way would be for someone to knock your socks off in a trade proposal. He appears to be that good.

I think you make great points. The Bills should go this direction.