What makes a good DT in the cover 2?

Defensive schemes are well over my head. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or input on what kind of DT is effective in the cover 2 defense. Wilkerson has played all across the DL so he is versatile. Could he be effective in our defensive scheme?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...amp;located=RSS

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jimmy_wilkerson/

Defensive schemes are well over my head. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or input on what kind of DT is effective in the cover 2 defense. Wilkerson has played all across the DL so he is versatile. Could he be effective in our defensive scheme?

Splitting line gaps and disrupting the offensive backfield is the most desired quality, and the best can also finish disrupted running plays by bringing down runners behind the LOS.

The whole package is difficult to find. We've assembled a group of the role players you need for the defense without briging in the premium one gapper who makes the defense very dangerous while diminishing the difficulty of the players roles behind him. At least on paper and on the field during the Senior Bowl, Okoye looked like he might just be that next premium Cover 2 monster who can raise a defense immediately up a level.

reading his stuff, he's pretty short to be a Defensive Takle and Doesn't weigh much as most other Defensive Takles, we need big guys to stuff the middle, I still think it was stupid to get rid of big pat williams, thanks a lot tom donowhore.

The Pat Williams' loss that was the demise of our #2 defense. Apparently, Phat Pat has had as much or more success with the Vikings as he has made the play of his alter-ego Kevin a better player.

Now I know why somebody as successful as Cowherd didn't get along with Teflon. Obviously, the Steelers tradition of drafting interior lineman for the running game had nothing to do with Tom.

It actually depends a lot on what style of Cover 2 you play in terms of what you are looking for from a DT. The style we play is called by some a Hybrid Cover 2 as it is actually more like a D known as the Tampa 2 for the Bucs who pioneered it.

In the Tampa 2, the deep cover is not only provided by the two safties, but they actually divide the field into thirds with the MLB providing coverage in the deep zone. This is the basic difference between the two but the two models of DT play are more or less defined by whether you are using a big or big DTs as run stuffers whose job mostly is to take up space and hold their ground, or the type we seem to have adopted which are the smaller but quicker DTs who shoot the gap, get into the backfield and either disrupt running plays or even get sacks.

As far as your specific question, the person you ask about, Jimmy Wilkerson is a DE and not a DT so the DT question does not apply. We are not going to pick him up because between Schobel (who just made the Pro Bowl), Kelsay (who we just extended), Denney (who we reached an extension deal with last year) and Hargrove (who we just traded a draft choice to get) are our DEs and the cupboard is full.

Again getting back to the DTs where we are likely to have a roster opening as it is generally assumed Anderson will not remain a Bill long, we have gotten players who are the lighter quick penetrating type but our run D was not productive last year and clearly could use some help.

The thought is that if we acquire a DT who may be a little bigger than the norm like an Alan Branch that he can operate primarily as a run stuffer but still be a quick enough player to penetrate and disrupt as needed. Okoye to some extent was thought of in the same way initially as he made his rep as a run stuffer and his playing weight ran 315+ in college, However, he showed up for the Senior Bowl at 287 and there and in the combine he was effective at light weights so interest in him is even higher. Between the large investment in penetrator Triplett (which did not pay large results yet), the surprising performance but still not there yet Williams and the truncated season but should still develop McCargo the Bills may actually go with a later pick at DT, but maybe not as Jauron is a D minded guy and even if the D had the lead in the draft last year, the OL was the focus of FA and maybe we go Okoye if he drops to us.

I appreciate the input Pyrite Gal, it was informative but I think you overlooked a point or two. First, Wilkerson has played all along the DL. Matter of fact, he was in a rotation with good old DT Ron Edwards and James Reed. The second thing that should be noted is since the combine Akoye has put 15 lbs. back on. This will make a difference with how teams view him, we could be in the running for him. If we are looking for someone to rush the passer, Wilkerson is known to be able to do this but he did it mostly from the DE position. I'm still wondering if he would be able to do this from the middle of the DL.

I appreciate the input Pyrite Gal, it was informative but I think you overlooked a point or two. First, Wilkerson has played all along the DL. Matter of fact, he was in a rotation with good old DT Ron Edwards and James Reed. The second thing that should be noted is since the combine Akoye has put 15 lbs. back on. This will make a difference with how teams view him, we could be in the running for him. If we are looking for someone to rush the passer, Wilkerson is known to be able to do this but he did it mostly from the DE position. I'm still wondering if he would be able to do this from the middle of the DL.

Thanks for the info re Wilkerson. Jauron/Fewell definitely like swing guys who can play both DE and DT such as Hargrove.

Isn't Ian Scott still available?

I know money is an obvious consideration, but it seems odd to me that we haven't brought in guys like Scott and June, two guys who play positions of need and who have had success in our scheme.

The opposite of Larry Tripplett!!!