Salary Cap versus "Rookie Cap"

rookies are part of the salary cap.

every team sets aside a certain amount of money to sign their rookie picks, based upon how many they have and where they are picking. they usually do this in their calculations of how much money under/over the cap they are.

are salary cap and rookie 2 different calculations? is it the case that rookie salaries and amortized bonuses don't count against the team's cap the first year they're in the league but starts counting in their 2nd year?

AFAIK, the rookie cap allocation bux are a separate pidgeonhole, but is part of the overall cap. I know that the rookie allowed amount is higher, the higher one drafts. I'm not at all sure if the figure gets adjusted if a team acquires picks before - or during the draft.

I wonder if a team with a bunch of selections, especially on Day 1, could have signing troubles because the set bundle of $ then has to be divvied up among more draftees.

I guess I'm wondering if the Bills might face holdouts. 0:)

AFAIK, the rookie cap is separate, and is part of the overall cap. I know that the amount is higher, the higher one drafts. I'm not at all sure if the figure gets adjusted if a team acquires picks before - or during the draft.

I wonder if a team with a bunch of selections, especially on Day 1, could have signing troubles because the set bundle of $ then has to be divvied up among more draftees.

I guess I'm wondering if the Bills might face holdouts. 0:)

There is no rookie "cap" per say, as in, team X can't spend more than y dollars to pay their rookies, as far as I know. It all falls under the overall cap. If the cap is 109 million and a team is at 108 million, they wouldn't have enough to sign a full slate of draft picks, but teams avoid this happening by figuring out (roughly) how much space they need for draft picks at the beginning of free agency and holding back a certain percentage of their cap space for the draft picks. Conversely, if a team is over the cap, they would have to slash some salary to get back under the cap enough to sign their draft picks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the case.

There is no rookie "cap" per say, as in, team X can't spend more than y dollars to pay their rookies, as far as I know. It all falls under the overall cap. If the cap is 109 million and a team is at 108 million, they wouldn't have enough to sign a full slate of draft picks, but teams avoid this happening by figuring out (roughly) how much space they need for draft picks at the beginning of free agency and holding back a certain percentage of their cap space for the draft picks. Conversely, if a team is over the cap, they would have to slash some salary to get back under the cap enough to sign their draft picks.

so where do the bills stand now vis-a-vis the cap?

There actually is a rookie cap, which is a subset of the overall salary cap. The rookie cap is based on cumulative total numbers of draft picks a team has -- and where they were taken. Check out this FAQ

Dunno. I've come across rookie allocation figures for 2006. I think it's a set figure (NFLPA certainly protects their current members well-being above all - and more or less lifts the leg on the outsiders until they fork over the dues).

I stiill wonder if indeed, the pie is set at a certain size, and then a player's agent says - no-go, my boy ain't reporting - it's your problem that you have so many %$3!# high choices...

There actually is a rookie cap, which is a subset of the overall salary cap. The rookie cap is based on cumulative total numbers of draft picks a team has -- and where they were taken. Check out this FAQ

Question 1.5

How does the NFL Draft impact the Salary Cap?

Answer: Team salary includes the Rookie Minimum Active Salary as of the day of the draft for all drafted rookies. The salary for drafted rookies will stay at this amount until the player is signed, the team’s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned.

This seems to indicate that there is a minimum rookie salary for a draft position but not a maximum that a team can pay a draft pick or their group of draft picks. Did I miss something? So, in effect, if i'm reading this right, there would be a rookie salary base, for lack of a better word, not a cap....?