Slugs fall to Penguins in OT Shootout

/dev/null

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller is usually as good as they come on shootouts. Tonight, he was abused. Oh well, at least we got a point out of it.

IMHO, those were two outstanding moves by the Pens on the shootout goals. Can't say I fault Miller on those, as I think almost any goalie would've been beat on those.

IMHO, those were two outstanding moves by the Pens on the shootout goals. Can't say I fault Miller on those, as I think almost any goalie would've been beat on those.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Those were some sick moves! Two of the best SO goals I have seen this season...

That would only apply if the same shooter used the same move twice, not sure I really understand your point?

basically it was the same move to the opposite side.

basically it was the same move to the opposite side.

That is exactly what Crosby did.

They were both great goals, and both guys had RM looking for his jock. I have never seen RM get beat so bad on a SO. He is usually as good as an goaltender that I can think of on shootouts.

That is exactly what Crosby did.

They were both great goals, and both guys had RM looking for his jock. I have never seen RM get beat so bad on a SO. He is usually as good as an goaltender that I can think of on shootouts.

Yeah, well, he hasn't been anything CLOSE to solid for the last two weeks almost.

Colorado: 3 GA

Minnesota: 5 GA

NJ: 3 GA

Pitt: 4 GA

That's a 3.75 GAA in the most crucial part of the season. Time to see what Conklin can do for a few games. I think you'd be hard pressed to say he'd do worse than a 3.75 GAA.

Yeah, well, he hasn't been anything CLOSE to solid for the last two weeks almost.

That's a 3.75 GAA in the most crucial part of the season. Time to see what Conklin can do for a few games. I think you'd be hard pressed to say he'd do worse than a 3.75 GAA.

Early March is the most crucial point in the season?

I did not say that RM has played that great over the past few games. What I said was that he lost his jock on the shootout against the Penns.

Early March is the most crucial point in the season?

I know Ill get flamed for this, but can we all open up our eyes here? Granted, I know the team has been severaly hampered by injuries..what is this team's record since the blazing 20-4 start or whatever? Not great, and remember, the wins totals are ALL inflated by the skills competition...

This team has not been top notch in months now.

The game is getting more physical again, and I think the Sabres are paying the price by getting too 'euro-sessed'

I know Ill get flamed for this, but can we all open up our eyes here? Granted, I know the team has been severaly hampered by injuries..what is this team's record since the blazing 20-4 start or whatever? Not great, and remember, the wins totals are ALL inflated by the skills competition...

This team has not been top notch in months now.

The game is getting more physical again, and I think the Sabres are paying the price by getting too 'euro-sessed'

You're right, you're gonna get flamed for that. That doesn't make you wrong, though.

You're right, you're gonna get flamed for that. That doesn't make you wrong, though.

I want to be dead wrong, I want Max, Kotalik and even Connolly to come back and things click again.

But how will the chemistry be with a few players coming back after being out of the lineup for several weeks?

It is going to be tougher IMO this year to get back to where this team was last year.

But I still think the Sabres can win it all, but this team needs to play better defence. Period.

Maybe I am not picking up the sarcasm here... But, I thought Miller looked sick... LITERALLY sick on those moves... Seems Miller was moving all night or trying to get a "jump" on things... Which isn't good for a goalie... You want the player to commit first and stay with the puck... IMO

Case in point... The Talbot goal... Miller over anticipated and moved, assumed... Hence the puck boinked off Macarthur, then Miller himself! Call it a fluke... But, if Miller wasn't attempting to be a "jump" ahead... It would have never found the back of the net...

Maybe he is trying to be too "on?"

And really, the Pens SO moves seemed feable... How effective would a poke check by Miller have been... Probably, even a half hearted poke would have ruined those plays?

Vanek, in retrospect, maybe seemed to follow the Pens "lazy attempt" move... Yet, you know what happens when the goalie doesn't over commit?... Exactly what M-A did... Make Vanek's attempt to appear (which it was, IMO by design) weak... Miller could have easily made Crosby's look weak too, IMO.

And what is it with the "golden child" Crosby... Gets me thinking how most extremely talented players would react to all the doteing he gets and game plan revolved around him...

Remember earlier in the season when he couldn't score for the life of him in a SO?

Again, in retrospect... Vanek may have made the right call... Just things are going horribly wrong for him SO goal wise...

It is the simple shot that IMO will go in more often or not and catch the goalie off guard...

Back to the complicated "around the world" to right this ship/slump Thomas... Or maybe a blaster like he pulled off in the Habs SO!

I want to be dead wrong, I want Max, Kotalik and even Connolly to come back and things click again.

But how will the chemistry be with a few players coming back after being out of the lineup for several weeks?

It is going to be tougher IMO this year to get back to where this team was last year.

But I still think the Sabres can win it all, but this team needs to play better defence. Period.

As much as I like this team (and I love the team), I don't see how they can win the cup this year. Assuming all the guys who are out come back 100%, they have a shot. But how likely is that? How likely is it that those same guys make it all the way through a LONG post-season? You only need to look to last year for something of a preview of what's likely to come this year. Close, but no banana.

What distresses me most is that the Sabres never win games 1-0 or 2-0. It seems they always have to score 4 or 5 goals to win. That's just not gonna get it done. I don't know if it's defensemen not playing up to par, the injuries or just Miller not concentrating the entire game. Does anyone have stats on the Sabres goals allowed this year? They can't have given less than three goals that often...

What distresses me most is that the Sabres never win games 1-0 or 2-0. It seems they always have to score 4 or 5 goals to win. That's just not gonna get it done. I don't know if it's defensemen not playing up to par, the injuries or just Miller not concentrating the entire game. Does anyone have stats on the Sabres goals allowed this year? They can't have given less than three goals that often...

Well, Ryan Miller's GAA is ~2.7 this year. So roughly half of the time he gives up less than 2.7 goals a game and the other half of the time he gives up more than 2.7 the time. Since the Sabres have played 69 games this season, I will venture a guess that they've allowed less than 3 goals about 30 times.

EDIT: Looking at the schedule, the Sabres have held their opponents to two goals or less in 28 games. By my count.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

No offense, but that sounds like it's coming from someone who never went between the pipes. Trust me, those moves were sick and it's easier said than done not to bite. That being said, in the bigger picture Miller just isn't sharp for the whole game lately, so I think a few nights off for a little R&R are in order.