Moulds would like to come back

I said this a few posts back, but I will say it again. He is averaging about 75 receptions, 800 yards, and 3 touchdowns for the past three(3) seasons. The majority of posters on this thread have been indicating that they would like him back as a #2 or #3 receiver. For a #2-3 receiver to receive 75 receptions, over 800 yards and 3 touchdowns, I would say would be a pretty productive year.

Eric is averaging about 15 receptions, 250 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1.0 YpC and 10 first downs LESS each year over the last three years. If this continues, he will have 40 receptions, 300 yards, 8.8 YpC, -1 TDs and 23 first downs next year.

I would say that's not a very productive year for a #2 receiver. Of course, that's about the same as Josh Reed (34| 410 | 12.1 | 2 | 21) or Price (49 | 402 | 8.2 | 3 | 20). Also, just since I was looking them up, this is Parrish: (23 | 320 | 13.9 | 2 | 10 ).

Since this is about what we already have on the team, why put money and time into a reciever who is on his way out and could screw up our adolescent team chemistry?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric is averaging about 15 receptions, 250 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1.0 YpC and 10 first downs LESS each year over the last three years. If this continues, he will have 40 receptions, 300 yards, 8.8 YpC, -1 TDs and 23 first downs next year.

I would say that's not a very productive year for a #2 receiver. Of course, that's about the same as Josh Reed (34| 410 | 12.1 | 2 | 21) or Price (49 | 402 | 8.2 | 3 | 20). Also, just since I was looking them up, this is Parrish: (23 | 320 | 13.9 | 2 | 10 ).

Since this is about what we already have on the team, why put money and time into a reciever who is on his way out and could screw up our adolescent team chemistry?

Those numbers are disgustingly out of sort due to the poor year he had last year. Yet there is something called a "variable" and the Texans had a ton of them. Those include Carr as the QB, no RB, an offensive line worse than the one on the Bills ...etc. Also Eric's numbers going down in 2003 and 2005, had somewhat something to do with the fact that he missed 4 games over those 2 years. Eric averaged about 5.5 receptions per game in 2005. Because he missed a game, you could hypothetically say if you added those 5.5 receptions onto his year, he only had a 1.5 reception drop off from the year before! In 2003, he was averaging about 5 receptions per game. He missed 3 games. Thats 15 receptions. Add that onto his total, and he would have 79 receptions. Therefore in 2004, his production would have went up 9 receptions. 2004 IS within your three year spectrum, may I remind you.

Those numbers are disgustingly out of sort due to the poor year he had last year. Yet there is something called a "variable" and the Texans had a ton of them. Those include Carr as the QB, no RB, an offensive line worse than the one on the Bills ...etc. Also Eric's numbers going down in 2003 and 2005, had somewhat something to do with the fact that he missed 4 games over those 2 years. Eric averaged about 5.5 receptions per game in 2005. Because he missed a game, you could hypothetically say if you added those 5.5 receptions onto his year, he only had a 1.5 reception drop off from the year before! In 2003, he was averaging about 5 receptions per game. He missed 3 games. Thats 15 receptions. Add that onto his total, and he would have 79 receptions. Therefore in 2004, his production would have went up 9 receptions. 2004 IS within your three year spectrum, may I remind you.

I wasn't counting his 2003 injury-shortened season. 2004 was a good year for him, but he's been sliding since then. (The three years I refered to were = 2004, 2005, 2006).

Actually, the decreases in his YpC and first down stats occurred more with the Bills, not the Texans; they just continued with the Texans. So, while you can argue there were also "variables" on the Bills that hurt him (moreso recently than ever before), I don't know why you'd think next year would be any different. I chose these two stats because they really jump out. I could understand a falling YpC if a reciever started being used as a first down possession-receiver, but this would mean the first downs and/or TDs would have to be going up if this was succeeding. I think it's safe to say Eric wasn't considered a success for the Texans.

Also, I think the performance decrease for receivers as they get older is not linear; it excellerates. At some point they "fall off the cliff" and their output drops precipitously. His YpC has fallen for 8 straight years, and I doubt he will play any more than one more year in the NFL.

Shoot. With numbers like that, he's almost as good as Kevin Curtis, thus would be a marked improvement over Evans.

Git er done, Marv.

Now THAT'S some funny s#it, Double G.

I wasn't counting his 2003 injury-shortened season. 2004 was a good year for him, but he's been sliding since then. (The three years I refered to were = 2004, 2005, 2006).

2004: His receptions went up 24 receptions from the previous year. He had 200+ more yards, and 4 more touchdowns.

2005: He missed a game as I told you. He was averaging about 5.5 receptions per game as I told you. If he were not suspended, one could argue he would have caught his 5.5 receptions and his total for the season would be around 86.5 receptions, 860 yards, 4.something touchdowns. Therefore he only went down 1.5 receptions, 100 yards, and 1/2 touchdown from 2004.

2006. This is where he fell off. This is where he was the #2 receiver. This is where he was on the Texans and I explained the variables.

So other than 2005-2006, his stats have NOT dropped significantly the past 3 seasons as you said.

Actually, the decreases in his YpC and first down stats occurred more with the Bills, not the Texans; they just continued with the Texans. So, while you can argue there were also "variables" on the Bills that hurt him (moreso recently than ever before), I don't know why you'd think next year would be any different. I chose these two stats because they really jump out. I could understand a falling YpC if a reciever started being used as a first down possession-receiver, but this would mean the first downs and/or TDs would have to be going up if this was succeeding. I think it's safe to say Eric wasn't considered a success for the Texans.Also, I think the performance decrease for receivers as they get older is not linear; it excellerates. At some point they "fall off the cliff" and their output drops precipitously. His YpC has fallen for 8 straight years, and I doubt he will play any more than one more year in the NFL.

Yes his YPC has fallen 2 yards since 2004 to now. I understand that. He has also become a possesion receiver. His first down average for his entire career is only around 41. He has had 53, 38, and 33 his past three seasons. Not too far off from his career average. Once again, these stats show him as a productive #2-3 receiver. You simply can not compare him to Josh Reed and Parrish due to his declining YPC or first downs.