Earthquake in Ohio tonight...

buckeyemike

I didn't feel it, but it's all over the news here.

I'm about 50 miles from the epicenter. No reports of damage. Quakes here are rare, but not unheard of.

This is our first earthquake in the area since September 25, 1998. How do I remember the date? It happened 20 minutes after Kim and I got engaged. The joke I told was that when I finally got engaged, the earth moved. :pirate:

Went through a couple majors in So Cal, 6.9 and 7.1 in addition to many 5+s and you never get used to them. The biggies did a lot of damage. Thats what you worry about, fire from gas lines or something collapseing or falling on you. Had a two story home and the 7.0 had that house swaying bigtime upstairs.

Part of the reason I retired in Oregon.

Went through a couple majors in So Cal, 6.9 and 7.1 in addition to many 5+s and you never get used to them. The biggies did a lot of damage. Thats what you worry about, fire from gas lines or something collapseing or falling on you. Had a two story home and the 7.0 had that house swaying bigtime upstairs.

My grandmother, who died in 2004, told me of her experience with the 1989 Bay Area/World Series Earthquake.

She said you could hear it coming, and after 40 years in California, she knew to head for the doorway. Grandma also said she could see out the window, and the cars in the parking lot of her apartment building were, in her words, "bouncing like basketballs".

First, you hear them then you feel it coming up through the floor. By the time you hear the dogs outside you have it figured out. The chandeliers shake, the blinds sway. If people didn't get hurt or worse die, and people lose their property, it would be fun. I haven't been scared by one yet. I haven't seen cars bouncing. I do have a crack in the living room ceiling and the bedroom wall. A few years ago we had one and people said that they saw the buildings in downtown San Diego sway. You have little time to react but not much. I never experienced one living in Buffalo and Ohio. Some people got upset when U.B. received funding for their earthquake simulation lab. Little did people realize that there are earthquakes in the region. I believe the area around the Niagara River and the Falls are fault lines.

National Earthquake Information Center:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/neic/

U.B.:

http://nees.buffalo.edu/

Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=252618

We get a few here too. Not nearly as bad as CA though. :thumbdown:

I was in the twin 6.1 quake in Pasadena , Ca in the 80's. my house was bouncing, I couldn't stand up the floor was shaking so much. I stumbled outside, and the carport poles set in concrete were vibrating so violently that they sounded like a giant tuning fork. Wild times ! My house at the time was built in the 1910's and had been shakin so many times from so many quakes that it was like a timex watch at that point. Nothing was going to phase the little house.