Rosenputz aint done YET!

A contract is a contract.

He signed it and should live by it...maybe in the last year of it it can be addressed but not after just two years.

Umm -- did you just crawl out from under a rock and miss the last ten years of professional sports contract negotiations?

Remember how the Bills cheapness with Joe Cribbs turned out?

There's more to this story than just the Bills (alleged) cheapness. Cribbs' agent was Jerry Argovitz, who was a silent partner in a USFL team. His main (conflict of) interest was to get NFL players to defect to the new league. (Also see Billy Sims.)

It is rumored that everytime the Bills thought they had a deal on Cribbs, Argovitz would come up with a new demand, thus re-opening negotiations. All the while, Argovitz knew what the USFL had to offer to beat the Bills' deal.

There's more to this story than just the Bills (alleged) cheapness. Cribbs' agent was Jerry Argovitz, who was a silent partner in a USFL team. His main (conflict of) interest was to get NFL players to defect to the new league. (Also see Billy Sims.)

It is rumored that everytime the Bills thought they had a deal on Cribbs, Argovitz would come up with a new demand, thus re-opening negotiations. All the while, Argovitz knew what the USFL had to offer to beat the Bills' deal.

I'm sure there is more to the story and Argovitz was a scumbag. Nevertheless, the Bills stood pat with the undervalued contract they had with Joe AND, worst of all, withheld a bonus he would have earned if he hadn't been benched for most of the final game of the season. (I believe he fell 15 yards short of the required yardage for the bonus.)

A good way to break (or weaken) the hold an agent has on a player is to OVERDELIVER without the agent's involvement. Maybe, if the Bills called Cribbs the night after the last game of the season and said, "Pick up your bonus check tomorrow, you earned it. BTW, We'd like to tear up that old contract and offer you X (something close to what other top backs were making) and extend your contract." They would have had more credibility with Joe Cribbs.

Just a thought.

Sure, I see it happening...does that make it ok ?

Of course not. We all wish that players (particularly those on our favorite teams) honored their contracts, but the fact is that the star players haven't been doing so for long enough that it's pretty naive to think they would start now.

Of course not. We all wish that players (particularly those on our favorite teams) honored their contracts, but the fact is that the star players haven't been doing so for long enough that it's pretty naive to think they would start now.

Naive ? Maybe...but for most people a deal is a deal and a contract is a legal enforcement of that agreement between two parties.

I was commenting that its a sad state of affiars that contracts aren't honored. You, on the other hand really showed me!

:thumbdown: Please dazzle me more with your stunning analysis.

Naive ? Maybe...but for most people a deal is a deal and a contract is a legal enforcement of that agreement between two parties.

I was commenting that its a sad state of affiars that contracts aren't honored. You, on the other hand really showed me!

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? We can talk until we're blue in the face about what a contract "should" mean, but you wrote "he signed it and should live by it" when you and I both know that's not how the professional sports world works anymore. No need to get your panties in a wad.

i must be missing something. The agent is asking to renegotiate. The 49ers can agree or disagree. Teams ask players to renegotiate to help with cap space. Teams approach players early to renegotiate and extend. The player can agree or disagree.

i see no threat of a walkout or legal action. There's no talk of contract violation. What's the REAL issue here?

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? We can talk until we're blue in the face about what a contract "should" mean, but you wrote "he signed it and should live by it" when you and I both know that's not how the professional sports world works anymore. No need to get your panties in a wad.

Its a good thing I have you to point that out to me...call me crazy but regardsless of the parties involved I still believe that a deal is a deal.

Now that you straightend the harsh reality that is pro sports out for me, can you set me straight on the whole world is round thing ?

i must be missing something. The agent is asking to renegotiate. The 49ers can agree or disagree. Teams ask players to renegotiate to help with cap space. Teams approach players early to renegotiate and extend. The player can agree or disagree.

i see no threat of a walkout or legal action. There's no talk of contract violation. What's the REAL issue here?

Mayhap a pissing contest? :thumbdown:

Its a good thing I have you to point that out to me...call me crazy but regardsless of the parties involved I still believe that a deal is a deal.

Now that you straightend the harsh reality that is pro sports out for me, can you set me straight on the whole world is round thing ?

You see, when you look out into the horizon, you see a line. It looks like the world ends. You'd almost swear it was so. In reality, however, it's just an illusion. I could point you to some websites but you seem like a pretty smart fellow and you can probably Google it yourself.

Wienies, whiners and morons. :thumbdown: