A-Train: is it a forgone conclusion?

Buftex

Everyone seems to be assuming that the Bills are going to re-sign Anthony Thomas. I have not heard one rumour about any other team being interested in him. Has anyone?

How much money could Thomas be asking for, that the Bills have not re-signed him yet. Assuming they really want him back, I am getting the feeling he would be signed by now. I don't think he will be back...unless he signs way far off into the offseason, and all other options are gone for the Bills.

Everyone seems to be assuming that the Bills are going to re-sign Anthony Thomas. I have not heard one rumour about any other team being interested in him. Has anyone?

How much money could Thomas be asking for, that the Bills have not re-signed him yet. Assuming they really want him back, I am getting the feeling he would be signed by now. I don't think he will be back...unless he signs way far off into the offseason, and all other options are gone for the Bills.

Hell of a question, Buffy. I'm thinking it's a good sign that we've heard so little (other than Marv saying he wants to re-sigh him)...but I'm a little concerned, too. He's never/rarely mentioned in article about FAs...and that's a good thing, I think. I like AT and what him to stay on this team. It CAN'T be a $$$ issue...can it?

Hell of a question, Buffy. I'm thinking it's a good sign that we've heard so little (other than Marv saying he wants to re-sigh him)...but I'm a little concerned, too. He's never/rarely mentioned in article about FAs...and that's a good thing, I think. I like AT and what him to stay on this team. It CAN'T be a $$$ issue...can it?

We can only speculate on Marv's intention at this point. We know what you cited above that Marv has said he wants to re-sign him. And DJ likes the guy.

Is he capable of being a featured back in the Fairchild system. Very likely, no. But does he have one year of experience under the Fairchild system? Yes. Did he fill in admirably when Willis went out with cracked ribs. Yes, again.

One would think that everything should point to us re-signing Thomas. But there's been nothing out there so far to suggest a deal is imminent or a certainty.

His value to the Bills isn't determined until the last viable free agent feature back is signed (Brown ?) . Same goes for whether he wants to be the possible number two here (given the draft) or elsewhere. Bad cat and mouse situation -- if there are any game theorists out there, please compare to the classic "prisoner's dilemma".

His value to the Bills isn't determined until the last viable free agent feature back is signed (Brown ?) . Same goes for whether he wants to be the possible number two here (given the draft) or elsewhere. Bad cat and mouse situation -- if there are any game theorists out there, please compare to the classic "prisoner's dilemma".

We should lock him up first before we think of getting Brown of Dillion.

To me what is odd is SOMEBODY has not been signed because of the WM trade....

I myself am being patient but from a PR standpoint I am suprised the bills haven't signed somebody to appease the masses....Chris Brown, A Train, SOMEBODY

I myself would be perfectly fine with A Train we could then groom a young back in the draft....

I LOVE the way A train runs

I have a feeling we will know his fate soon after the draft. I wouldn't be surprised that we pick him up for vet. minimum to compete against ?????.....whomever we get.

We should lock him up first before we think of getting Brown of Dillion.

A-Train is in a box. Sign tomorrow for X and have a 15% chance of being the number one. Sign after the Bills lose out on other free agents for 2X and have a 40% chance of being number one. Sure we should lock him up. The dimensions of the cage are still a problem.

Considering how many folks here seem to endlessly wail that a rb's YPC is of supreme importance, his 3.5 YPC last year doesn't get-it-done. :blink:

To me what is odd is SOMEBODY has not been signed because of the WM trade....

I myself am being patient but from a PR standpoint I am suprised the bills haven't signed somebody to appease the masses....Chris Brown, A Train, SOMEBODY

I myself would be perfectly fine with A Train we could then groom a young back in the draft....

I LOVE the way A train runs

they should sign Brown, Atrain and draft a rookie

If Brown stays healthy, he can be a dynamic back both running and receiving.

unfortunately you can not rely on him due to his injury history so you need the Atrain.

My understanding is that A-Train wants to be a starter and the simple fact is that though folks like his grit, he has never played all 16 games like you hope a #1 RB would EVER in his career and the last time he gained even 1000 yards in a season was in 2003.

A-Train proved to the NFL last year the he can be a very good #2 when he filled in admirably and productively for WM in two starts. He will sign somewhere and at the significant salary bump coming to players in demand this year after the new CBA.

Still given the dwindling RB market but still substantial needs of teams he does not risk much at all waiting to see if someone bites the bullet and delivers him an even more huge payday and promise of at least a fair shot at a #1.

The chances of the Bills being the one to do that increased significantly with the WM deal so he can afford to wait for a bigger deal and teams are waiting before offering such a deal to A-Train due to his history and the length of time since he last carried the load for a full season.

Something almost certainly will come together for him either as the draft approaches or after things play out.

Seems to me, that there are 4 RB spots on the team:

1. Featured Back

2. Back-up Feature Back

3. Fullback

4. 3rd down / Receiving Back

Considering that the Bills apparently are going to be drafting a RB on day one of the draft, you would have to assume that at the very least, that player will occupy the #2 RB spot.. and it's looking like we'll be acquiring a FA back to be the #1 guy.. whther that's Dillon, Brown or whomever.. So that leaves Shaud Williams as the 3rd Down back type RB.. anyone think A-Train is going to be the FB this year? Not I. Just seems to be fewer and fewer options on the roster for him. Was thinking Shaud was signed ahead of A-Train, for his ST contributions. (I can't recall if AT played St, at all.)

Besides.. it's just Anthony Thomas.. not as though he'd be real difficult to replace.

In Marv We Trust.