The Peterson Possibility is Pesturing Me...

I really try to avoid falling into the trap of fantasy-land draft scenarios, and I've previously thought and said that trading into the top 5 for Peterson would cost too much and would set the organization back, a la Herschel Walker and the Vikings.

But it's eating at me now.

I've seen a good number of Peterson's games on TV. When the guy is healthy, no joke, he reminds me of OJ with the way he runs. If health wasn't a concern, I think he'd be rated the #1 player in the entire draft, or at least a close #2 behind Calvin Johnson. He seems to have a great attitude and is intelligent. He runs HARD, as in he runs over defenders even when he could run around them. He's Lawrence Maroney but faster. He's Larry Johnson without the psychosis. He's the real deal, and as much as I think the Bills need help at a ton of positions and thus need all the draft picks they can get, I can't shake the idea that this guy could instantly transform the franchise into a competitor.

Plus, I'm beginning to suspect the Browns may decide to take Quinn. I know they only signed Jamal Lewis for 1 year, but they haven't had a real QB in ages, and they would be widely applauded for taking Quinn at #3 (or trading down to take him) and then someone like Michael Bush with their high second round pick. And if the Browns pass, I'm not sure who else in the top 8 would take Peterson, although I suspect both the Cardinals (despite Edge) and the Vikings (despite Taylor) would have a hard time passing on him. But the window might be there.

Now, the question I have is what would it cost for the Bills to move into the top 5 or 8 to take Peterson if the Browns pass? Anyone proficient in draft value analyses?

Thoughts? Damn, I hate these Madden-like scenario threads, but again, the Peterson Possibility is really starting to gnaw at me.

I really try to avoid falling into the trap of fantasy-land draft scenarios, and I've previously thought and said that trading into the top 5 for Peterson would cost too much and would set the organization back, a la Herschel Walker and the Vikings.

I've seen a good number of Peterson's games on TV. When the guy is healthy, no joke, he reminds me of OJ with the way he runs. If health wasn't a concern, I think he'd be rated the #1 player in the entire draft, or at least a close #2 behind Calvin Johnson. He seems to have a great attitude and is intelligent. He runs HARD, as in he runs over defenders even when he could run around them. He's Lawrence Maroney but faster. He's Larry Johnson without the psychosis. He's the real deal, and as much as I think the Bills need help at a ton of positions and thus need all the draft picks they can get, I can't shake the idea that this guy could instantly transform the franchise into a competitor.

Plus, I'm beginning to suspect the Browns may decide to take Quinn. I know they only signed Jamal Lewis for 1 year, but they haven't had a real QB in ages, and they would be widely applauded for taking Quinn at #3 (or trading down to take him) and then someone like Michael Bush with their high second round pick. And if the Browns pass, I'm not sure who else in the top 8 would take Peterson, although I suspect both the Cardinals (despite Edge) and the Vikings (despite Taylor) would have a hard time passing on him. But the window might be there.

Now, the question I have is what would it cost for the Bills to move into the top 5 or 8 to take Peterson if the Browns pass? Anyone proficient in draft value analyses?

Thoughts? Damn, I hate these Madden-like scenario threads, but again, the Peterson Possibility is really starting to gnaw at me.

I would guess that our first, next year's first, and one of our thirds would get us there, might even be too much. Is that mortgaging the future too much? Don't know. But plenty of teams have traded away picks to get the right guy for them. If Peterson is that guy (and I think he very well could be) and it's decided that we have the guns we need at DT with McCargo's return, maybe. I'm not so sure about the latter, but there are 2nd and 3rd round talents worth a look there, I'm sure. Also, if we know anything it's that rookie DTs don't often come in and contribute their best immediately. Something to consider if this team thinks it's close to getting over the hump.

With issues at LB and CB we do have a good deal to think about. I just don't see our top pick going CB if we've just clearly de-valued the position by deciding what Nate was worth. Another first-rounder who will be gone in 4 years makes little sense. Seeing if Youboty can become the next A Samuel and prove he was a steal in the draft is probably worth the little headaches it will cause. Better to make a value FA pickup IMO.

An impact back like Peterson, though... Have to think about that a lot.

Some have mentioned that we're not going to lose too many players after 07 so to trade away a pick in 08 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world given that we have an extra third next year as well.

I forget where I read this:

"If one of the players Buffalo has ranked in the top five on their draft board is still available at pick five or six, the Bills have the picks to make a bold move. Using their top two picks (#12, #43) they have the value (1,670 points) to make a legitimate offer for the 5th (1,700 points) or 6th pick (1,600 points) in the draft."

"If one of the players Buffalo has ranked in the top five on their draft board is still available at pick five or six, the Bills have the picks to make a bold move. Using their top two picks (#12, #43) they have the value (1,670 points) to make a legitimate offer for the 5th (1,700 points) or 6th pick (1,600 points) in the draft."

If that's all it takes, then I think it'd be a no-brainer. You're essentially giving up just one pick in this year's draft to move up about 6 spots and get the player you want. I'm not saying we should, but if they did, I wouldn't be upset with that at all.

Lynch's all around skills fit the prototype of what FAirchild wants in a back better than Peterson- who is a better pure runner.

Highly doubt Bills trade up for a one dimensional player- no matter how good he is.

If that's all it takes, then I think it'd be a no-brainer. You're essentially giving up just one pick in this year's draft to move up about 6 spots and get the player you want. I'm not saying we should, but if they did, I wouldn't be upset with that at all.

My guess is it would take an additional 5th or 4th or 3rd (probably the Raven's 3rd next yr to lock it up) next year to get it done. I believe that the Cardinals might be the right team.

The only problem is trading to the 5 spot will put pressure on our cash to cap philosphy. I know we would probably spread the bonus over two years like D Whitner. However still losing the 2nd rnder will probably not offset the bigger bucks that we need to spend to sign the 5th over the 12th.

I'd love it though. Then in the 2 3rd's and the 4th we try to draft the best of:

LB, CB, DT, S, FB, WR

The board never falls that way but if chosen in order of need that would be perfect.

LB 3rd, CB 3rd, DT 4th, S 6th, FB 7th, WR 7th

I bet we don't take a TE unless it is in 6th- 7th and Marv just loves the value versus the other positions.

Peace! Go Bills!

Lynch's all around skills fit the prototype of what FAirchild wants in a back better than Peterson- who is a better pure runner.

Highly doubt Bills trade up for a one dimensional player- no matter how good he is.

From what I saw at the combine, A Peterson is a very good receiver. He just never had a chance to show it at Okl. I like Lynch though. The guy just runs violently with speed, moves, power, vision, and a good receiver.

AP is more smooth as far as his moves and power is concerned. Probably a better long-term RB...

What's the difference between a top 5 RB and a 2nd or 3rd round one? Not much (with the exception of LT).

I think teams that drafted Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, etc. were foolish--because there are always a bunch of Travis Henry's (2nd rd), Frank Gore's (3d rd.), and Willie Parker's (UD) easily had later in the draft.

Let's stay put and draft a RB in the 2d or 3d round.

That woud be "too TD-ish" IMO. I doubt very much that the first pick will be spent on a "skill" position. I expect meat-n' potatoes from Marv and Dick.

Personally, I'm purturbed that you'd point it out...

I appreciate your sense of humor. There are no other letters I can use so let me say that I agree with your point and that was a good post. Always great to have fun with another Bills fan. Have a great weekend.

GO BILLS

There is no way Peterson should be behind Johnson. An elite RB can impact a game MUCH more than a WR.

Have you ever seen calvin johnson play? Think Randy Moss Speed, with TO's ability for going over the middle and willingness to make tough catches with the class of Marvin Harrison. Calvin Johnson may just be the best wr to come out of the draft in years. With that said I agree with Coach. Adrian Peterson if he can stay healthy will be an absolute beast and worth getting, despite it trading up for him is without a doubt the best rb in this draft. I don't know how lynch got so many votes in the poll asking who people would rather have. I don't even see that as a fair competition to be honest. Peterson is bigger, faster, quicker, and a much better pure runner. If he passes the browns I'd trade up for him in a second without any thoughts about it.

Have you ever seen calvin johnson play? Think Randy Moss Speed, with TO's ability for going over the middle and willingness to make tough catches with the class of Marvin Harrison. Calvin Johnson may just be the best wr to come out of the draft in years. With that said I agree with Coach. Adrian Peterson if he can stay healthy will be an absolute beast and worth getting, despite it trading up for him is without a doubt the best rb in this draft. I don't know how lynch got so many votes in the poll asking who people would rather have. I don't even see that as a fair competition to be honest. Peterson is bigger, faster, quicker, and a much better pure runner. If he passes the browns I'd trade up for him in a second without any thoughts about it.

Calvin Johnson and Lee Evans along with an improved O-line could make Fred Jackson look good- just looking at the trade value chart what would the fans say about trading 12, 43, and 92(3rd from Balt) for pick 4 and taking Calvin Johnson!!!!

3rd Buster Davis LB

4th Quinton Black LB

6th Antwan Barnes LB

7a Nate llaoa RB

7b Tyrone Moss RB