it's only week 5 and we already know we're out

nodnarb

yea, we'll beat miami. if we don't, RWS will be as ugly as it has ever been. If the bills can't beat Sage Rosenfels at home, we'll know a lot about the (lack of) heart on this team. We already know a good amount about that.

1-4. whoopie! off the snide.

Then we go into Baltimore, who are already planning for us. Two weeks for that defense to heal up their bumps and bruises, practice their strategy, and make our offense look pathetic again.

1-5. "We're close" is heard post-game.

In come the Cardinals. The fans fear this game because they know a loss here means a new nadir for the Bills organization. THe Cards are no pushover. And what do you know...Anquan Boldin is back. Lucky us! Bills eke out a win, somehow.

2-5. Big deal.

Then we have the Jets. Last Sunday, Bledsoe was pathetic for 55 minutes, and our expectations are so low for him by now that some people are actually claiming he had a good game because he made two passes and beat one blitz. Ludicrous. Bledsoe hamstrung the team all day long. The defense doesn't let Pennington complete every 3rd down and we squeak by.

3-5. "I told you we were close" is heard post-game. Fans sigh.

Then we get to travel to Foxboro. Anyone think we're going to beat the Pats?

3-6. Bills know they have to win out just to have a *chance*. THose 6 losses remind everyone about our schitty start, and things get ugly.

Rams. Well well...here we get to find out if Jerry Gray is a decent strategist. I don't think he is, considering games like last week's pathetic soft zone. But we'll see. The defense is going to have to win this one, because the Rams can score and who here thinks the Bills offense can score more than 24 points? Let's be optimistic and predict a win here.

4-6.

Then we get the seahawks at seattle. Can the Bills beat that team? I'll betting on the Hawks.

4-7. Things get REALLY ugly in the local media, as we're all but assured a lock out.

MIami, Browns, Bengals, San Fran, Pitt: All winnable games, although Pitt will likely have a lot to play for. Even if you assume the very best and say we win all five, we finish 9-7, and if you think that's going to get us in with *6* AFC losses, you're high.

Conclusion: We can't lose another AFC game. No way in hell can we earn a wildcard with 5 conference losses. Look back thru history and show me a wildcard with 5 conference losses. We can probably afford TWO more losses at most, and they'll have to come against NFC teams.

I'd say we have about a 1 in 500 chance to make the playoffs this year.

Well done, guys.

From what we've seen so far 9-7 or 8-8 is waaaay to optimistic. Seriously, this team as it is right now looks about 2-14. They do not know how to win the close games let alone blow anyone out.

In the NFL, if you lose every game by 3 points you still stink. Being close and "in games" doesn't matter in the NFL.

Yes it could have been much worse. The Bills could have teased us right up to the very end that there was some slim chance of making the play-offs. It's almost comforting to know that that they're done- put a fork in them.

I only hope they sweep the Dolfelons or I'll have to wear a bag on my head for work every day.

Great post - I've been saying since after Week 1, we would pull the old "we're close" after every loss and then some OLmen would stick the predictable "we told you so" line after a rare win against a crappy team. Then they'd get their butts kicked the following week when they played a good team. It's becoming an old routine.

My only disagreement is on the Jets game. If we couldn't beat them with a +2 turnover advantage, I don't see how we beat them in the rematch, homefield or not.