What will be Marv's Surprise this Year?

Mickey

No matter what you think about last year's draft, good or bad, one thing that can't be denied is that Marv fooled us all. No one was talking about Whitner and McCargo last March.

Last year we were all talking about DT's Ngata and Bunkley. This year we seem to be coagulating en masse around the idea of either a RB or an ILB with much of the talk surrounding Marshawn Lynch and Patrick Willis. Using last year as a guide though, maybe we should expect a surprise or two from Marv.

What are the potential surprises he could pull off? What could he do that would make you say "What the f...!?!?!?!"

My top candidate for a surprise pick, at least a surprise around here, would be a TE in the first or second round. Remember that Ronnie Harmon like brain seizure Royal had when he stepped out of bounds at the back of the endzone in the most critical foul up of the whole season? Bet you Marv hasn't forgotten. Greg Olsen from Miami, a TE with WR speed will certainly be there at 12. He is projected to go in the bottom half of the first or top half of the second, is he this year's Whitner? Maybe Zach Miller, Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth in the second?

No matter what you think about last year's draft, good or bad, one thing that can't be denied is that Marv fooled us all. No one was talking about Whitner and McCargo last March.

Last year we were all talking about DT's Ngata and Bunkley. This year we seem to be coagulating en masse around the idea of either a RB or an ILB with much of the talk surrounding Marshawn Lynch and Patrick Willis. Using last year as a guide though, maybe we should expect a surprise or two from Marv.

What are the potential surprises he could pull off? What could he do that would make you say "What the f...!?!?!?!"

My top candidate for a surprise pick, at least a surprise around here, would be a TE in the first or second round. Remember that Ronnie Harmon like brain seizure Royal had when he stepped out of bounds at the back of the endzone in the most critical foul up of the whole season? Bet you Marv hasn't forgotten. Greg Olsen from Miami, a TE with WR speed will certainly be there at 12. He is projected to go in the bottom half of the first or top half of the second, is he this year's Whitner? Maybe Zach Miller, Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth in the second?

[/quote

even after cutting ties with Willis, we have a full quota of overhyped, underperforming players from the U.

Olsen's time may be fast for a TE, but he plays more as a slow oversized WR since he can't block.

no thanks

I dunno if buy into the idea that Marv was intentionally trying to surprise/reach/outsmart/confound everyone last year.

And I'm not saying that's the basis of your post. However, clearly few if any of us fans (we fans perhaps) were on the same page as he and the brain trust at OBD were last year. I'll agree with you there.

That said, I not so sure that we're going to be that surprised this April.

Based on recent history I think we're all taking a much deeper view of the top 25 prospects.

We're also drafting 4 positions later than last year - and out of the "coveted, high-profile top 10".

There are fewer "surprises" that happen out of the "top 10" than within it.

Frankly we have so many needs it's going to be hard to be surprised unless Marv pulls a MinnySoda and passes on the 12th pick while St. Louis, Carolina and Pittsburgh make their picks. :(

If Marv picks a TE in Round 2, I hope it's Brian Leonard. :ph34r: That would be plenty surprise enough for me. We need a FB and a TE and he could do either/both. However, if his does take Willis/Hall and not Lynch in Round 1, he might try for Bush in 2. JMHO.

To me the WILD card in all this is Denver. They could trade Dre Bly to Warshingtun and move up to 6 which would likely have a big impact on who goes in the next several picks. Sometimes the dominoes begin to fall and there's a run on a certain position.

Add to that the recent hookie-dookie of Running Back musical chairs and now there's talk about this guy becoming a Bill. :w00t: Now that would be a surprise.

From that linky:

"Let's go down the Round 1 order: Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Houston and Miami are set at running back. That means Atlanta (No. 10) could start seriously looking at Peterson, even though it has Jerious Norwood and Warrick Dunn who both can still play effectively. San Francisco (No. 11) is set with Frank Gore, but Buffalo (No. 12) now has to be getting excited because Peterson could slide to it. If the Bills sign a veteran, then the Packers (No. 16) might have the big Oklahoma running back at their doorstep. Stranger things have happened in the NFL." Pat Kirwan

Yawn! This is a real long post for me. I'm going to get some coffee.

i think the smart move/plan would be to sit at 12 and snag Willis/Okoye/whoever falls to us, then pick a RB in the 2nd...

but if Okoye and Willis are off of the board, i think we grab Peterson/Lynch at 12, then Marv's "surprise" is trading back into the late 1st to grab LB Siler...

i dont know, just guessing

My thought ons a "SURPRISE" move by Marv would be picking Marshawn Lynch.

People have been discounting the need for a first round runner(including myself)

but after beefing up the line.....why not put the best back you could possibly obtain behind it?

Also....Lynchs' ability to catch the ball out of the backfield will take pressure off of Losman.

If they don't sign Brown or Dillon before the draft or make a trade for a proven runner I feel the odds of us taking Lynch are much,much greater.

The suprise won't be the particular position, but that Marv will draft more heavily on the offensive side of the ball than expected. They used 6 of their first 7 picks defensively a year ago, including all of their first 5. There seem to be a lot of fans who expect a similar approach this year, but I don't see that happening.

I think we will see the Bills utilize a much more balanced draft strategy this year.

The suprise won't be the particular position, but that Marv will draft more heavily on the offensive side of the ball than expected. They used 6 of their first 7 picks defensively a year ago, including all of their first 5. There seem to be a lot of fans who expect a similar approach this year, but I don't see that happening.

I think we will see the Bills utilize a much more balanced draft strategy this year.

kinda like the draft in my sig??

1 RB

1 WR

2 G

2 CB

1 ILB

1 DT

Draft: M.Lynch(RB), J.Blalock(G), D.Irons(CB), M.Thomas(DT), A.Water(LB), T.Duckworth(OG), J.Jones(WR), R.Lewis(CB)

i honestly hope not. if you want to talk balance i think after going all(ok, MOSTLY) Offense in free agency, they need to go at least 6 out of 8 on D in the draft. hopefully we dont do a lot of trading up and use all 4 picks on the first day. i guess i wouldnt mind picking a RB in the first if he goes Defense for 3 more picks on day 1. but i think that depends on who is there when we pick at 12...

i honestly hope not. if you want to talk balance i think after going all(ok, MOSTLY) Offense in free agency, they need to go at least 6 out of 8 on D in the draft. hopefully we dont do a lot of trading up and use all 4 picks on the first day. i guess i wouldnt mind picking a RB in the first if he goes Defense for 3 more picks on day 1. but i think that depends on who is there when we pick at 12...

Strictly on an immediate needs basis, I agree completely. I think you can get by with an '06 type draft once every few years, but you can run into trouble if you do it even a couple of years in a row. With the average career of an NFL player being only four or five years, plus the possibility of FA and injuries, you need to constantly be cycling new talent onto both sides of the roster. If not, it can come back to bite you a few years down the road. That's one big reason why we had to sign Dockery and Walker. The Bills made practically no investment of mid-round picks in their OL over the years. We're also now suffering from a lack of mid-round draft investment at RB and to a lesser extent, LB.