Geico Cavemen Get Sitcom Deal

erynthered

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.a...mp;provider=top

Maybe..........

NEW YORK (AP) -- Those Geico "cavemen" shouldn't be so upset after all -- they may get their own television series.

ABC said Friday it had ordered a pilot for a comedy, tentatively titled "Cavemen," that features the characters used in a series of ads by the insurance company.

In the ads, cavemen appear insulted by a Geico pitchman's claim that the company's Web site is so easy to use that "even a caveman can do it."

The potential series, one of 14 pilots that will be produced by Touchstone Television this spring, features the cavemen as they "struggle with prejudice on a daily basis as they strive to live the lives of normal thirty-somethings in 2007 Atlanta."

It's unusual for characters from an advertising campaign to move into shows of their own, but not unprecedented. The CBS comedy "Baby Bob" featured a talking baby that had been used in several advertisements, according to Daily Variety.

The advertising copywriter who helped create the "cavemen" ads is writing the pilot, the studio said.

A pilot order is no guarantee a show will make it on the air; in fact, the majority of pilots don't make it that far.

The CBS comedy "Baby Bob" featured a talking baby that had been used in several advertisements, according to Daily Variety.

And considering what a hit that turned out to be, 'Cavemen' is a sure winner!

:lol:

Those commercials jumped the shark about 15 times...they are overplayed and not funny anymore

I still like them, the only one I don't like is the party/patio one. The best one's are the initial dinner one and the news interview.

Maybe this show will help revive the career of the "Chaka" from Land of the Lost? :blink:

The poor kid who played that character, talk about type-cast. He's been in a career rut longer than Dolph Lundgren playing "Dar, Brooding Eastern European Guy." How many sci-fi conventions has that kid had to go to, where all it entailed was him running around in a fur loin cloth saying "Chaka no like.... Chaka no like!!!!"

Personally I liked the caveman commercials for a little while, but that stupid CNN-esque talk show commercial was kinda dumb..... "Pirate no like.... Pirate no like!!!!!"

I still like them, the only one I don't like is the party/patio one. The best one's are the initial dinner one and the news interview.

The party/patio one is definately dumb. I wasn't really impressed with the intial dinner or news interview one either. My personal favorite one is with the therapist.

You know...sitcoms are limited by regulation to some 8 or 9 minutes of commercial time. I'm pretty sure running a half-hour Geico commercial, even with commercial breaks, is an FCC violation... :flirt:

I'm not sure how that would be when "Pokemon", "Yugioh", "Transformers", and ??? other cartoons were/are nothing more than glorified commercials for the cards and toys. Maybe it's different for shows with actual "actors"?

TV programs have no limit to commercial time. At one time stations subscribed to the Television Code, but that was struck done in court many years ago.

Typically, in Prime Time, there are 8 minutes of commercials in a half-hour show...that is half-hour sitcoms are around 22 minutes long. In syndication (re-runs not in Prime Time), there is ofter a minute or two more in commercial time.

Bit, I'm pretty sure DC was just jesting about the commercial aspect and wasn't making a definitive statement about the number of commercial minutes in tV shows. I, of course, could be wrong.

Wow...what a great idea..a sitcom about CAVEMEN! Now that is soooo original...never been done before. Why don't we call one fred and one barney...HEY...how bout if they're married...Wilma...that's a good name...I think we're onto something!!!!

Betty was way hotter than Wilma.

I wonder if Stojan is in mourning over the potential loss of his Geico buds.

I don't think its that bad of an idea, but I don't see it lasting long (like most sitcoms). If it does make it to air, it will start some type of caveman fad that will ultimately kill the show and the commercials.

Its an interesting concept for a show, a couple of cavemen living in the modern day (kind of like a TV version of the horrible movie Encino man, but that was horrible mostly because its a Paulie Shore Movie)

its not like theres any good sitcoms on the air (on ABC atleast)