Michael Turner for a 2nd and the Raven's 3rd?

PIZ

I'm pretty sure I saw the dolphins work a deal with Welker then trade him... let me dig

The logistics don't really matter. The team that is going to sign him is the one that makes the deal. IIRC, the NFL put the rule in years ago that a team could sign a guy and then trade him immediately so the other team was responsible for the entire contract including the signing bonus and amortization. The first team, in this case, the Chargers, are not going to negotiate and then make the other team, the Bills, live up to whatever the Chargers thought was cool. Nor would they be responsible for the signing bonus money or the salary cap implications of signing a guy and then trading him. It would be the Bills that negotiated the deal. The Pats were the team that came up with the 18 mil for Welker, not the Dolphins.

It was similar to the Bills in the Peerless deal. They had franchised him and other teams would have owed us two #1s if they signed him. But we just found a trading partner in the Falcons and agreed to let Price go for one #1. The Falcons were the ones that had been pre-negotiating the 40 mil deal.

Turner's YPC average has been sick in his 3 years, and he has yet to have a fumble. He can break the long one and is built extremely solidly. I'm leery of his lack of touches though, and the fact that he plays behind LT and the SD line, but there's a feeling about him that this could be another Priest Holmes-Larry Johnson case, not that he'd be better than LT, but that he'd be an excellent, excellent back to run with. For the right price, I pull the trigger, but what is the right price? That is the $64,000 question.

I also agree. He's looked pretty stunning when I've watched him. We get a lot of SD games here in SoCal, so I've seen him a few times. Different runner than LT, but impressive. Very impressive looking. The hard part is figuring out how much of that is the good OLine, and how much is a tired D chasing after LT all game long, and how much is Turners ability... I will say, that it's not just one game that he's looked good. He looks good everytime he touches it. But he just hasn't touched it that much...

If you plan to pick a RB in the 2nd round, would you rather have Turner or say, Bush (or one of the other potentially available 2nd round RBs)? Tough to say, but if the answer is Turner, then offer SD a 2nd rounder for him. Maybe they take it and away we go.

If they want an xtra sweetner, throw in the Ravens 08 3rd rounder. Anything more and we risk overpaying.

Also, Marv did say we would be interested in a couple of restricted free agents. I wonder?