Boy is this ever tasteless...

buckeyemike

I may be wrong, but I don't think it had anything to with a "liberal bias", which I am not denying Comedy Central may have (let's face it, there is nothing funny about conservatives! :rolleyes: ). It had to do with safety issues...

Oh come on now, you're better than that argument. Safety issues my ass. If the religious right stormed Comedy Central with guns, knives & bombs, we wouldn't make fun of them anymore? I think every friggin paper/network in the USA should have showed the Mohammed cartoons, I would have if owned a media outlet. Put it so "in their face" they really have no choice but to accept it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone brave enough to take on organized religion in a satirical manner is A-OK in my book.

I agree with that (Dogma being one of my favorite movies)...but Sarah Silverman is just not funny. She tries to make up for it with increased vulgarity and overreliance on 'Jewish' humor, much like less talented black comedians that can't joke about anything other than being black.

Sleeping with the Almighty.

I don't mean to be flip with the sacred for saying this, but Good God.

This woman is trying to be outrageous and the female Howard Stern, but all she succeeds in doing is bring attention to herself, for all the wrong reasons. You think you're trying to be funny by making fun of something sacred to a LOT of people, but you are simply being offensive...all to say "look how naughty I, as a woman, can be".

You're not funny, Sarah. You weren't even funny when you played Mike White's girlfriend in "School of Rock"; in fact, you almost ruined that movie. You are starting to bring Jimmy Kimmel down to your level.

Please go away, and hopefully Comedy Central can replace you with a female comic who is funny, someone like Kathleen Madigan.

Mike, with all due respect, if you're that sensitive, you may need to re-evalutate things. Besides, do you really think God doesn't have a sense of humor?

Oh come on now, you're better than that argument. Safety issues my ass. If the religious right stormed Comedy Central with guns, knives & bombs, we wouldn't make fun of them anymore? I think every friggin paper/network in the USA should have showed the Mohammed cartoons, I would have if owned a media outlet. Put it so "in their face" they really have no choice but to accept it.

:rolleyes:

She's not my cup of tea. I simply don't find her that entertaining. Comics don't offend me in the least; it's all about shock in the name of entertainment. I worry more about the people that want it stopped.

Jeff

If every media outlet had done it, that would be one thing. If only one media outlet did it though, their chances of retaliation directed at them, would be much greater. There had already been deadly retaliation around the world, toward media that portrayed Mohammed in a satirical way. It was a safety issue. The mocking of the religious right is already accepted, in America.

Mike, with all due respect, if you're that sensitive, you may need to re-evalutate things. Besides, do you really think God doesn't have a sense of humor?

I don't think I'm terribly sensitive and I'm certainly not prudish. I've listened to Howard Stern on Sirius and seen some raunchy stuff on TV in the past. And as a Christian, I'm not terribly proud of it, but I'll admit it. I'll also admit that I've seen Eva Longoria in her underwear, but so has most of America.

However, with this action, Sarah Silverman crosses a line. That's all I'm saying.

However, with this action, Sarah Silverman crosses a line. That's all I'm saying.

Sex with God is a well developed theme throughout Christian and Jewish history.

Esp. in the mystical traditions. There is some extremely graphic stuff that is really understudied.

Of course the purpose of it was not comedy - but it really makes this stuff pretty tame.

If every media outlet had done it, that would be one thing. If only one media outlet did it though, their chances of retaliation directed at them, would be much greater. There had already been deadly retaliation around the world, toward media that portrayed Mohammed in a satirical way. It was a safety issue. The mocking of the religious right is already accepted, in America.

Do you realize how asinine that sounds?

"It's OK to mock that religion, because they don't breed suicide bombers. But not that one, because there might be outrage that would lead to violence!"

Maybe it's time for Christians to take up the AK-47 and dynamite suit.

Look, I'm no fan of any religion, I think they're all bull sh--. But I won't go out of my way to make light of their beliefs.

If I owned a media outlet, I would have published them. Hired myself a few armed guards with military experience and bring it on!! At least this way, we'd know who the real lunatics are in this country. Hell, it may have even helped smoke out a few sleeper cells.

but Sarah Silverman is just not funny. She tries to make up for it with increased vulgarity and overreliance on 'Jewish' humor, much like less talented black comedians that can't joke about anything other than being black.
Totally agree with you. She can be amusing at times but it's impossible to put up with her for more than 2 minutes. There's only so much saying-something-offensive-in-an-ironic way that you can take.

Anyone can do this:

Think of something offensive.

Say it out loud.

Smirk.

Hope people laugh.

Whoever brought up CC not showing Muhammed on South Park has a great point too. Silverman making fun of Jews and Christians isn't offensive or funny. It's boring. Everyone frigging does that. If she mocks Muslim culture or Muhammed on her show, let me know.

shes a great stand up comedian. probably one of the top-5 funniest women of all time.

the show is... ok. you guys are getting too caught up in the "offensive"(lol) material and missing the good stuff. the whole "Tab" joke where those guys wouldnt be outdone by each other? cmon, that was funny.

either way, its just comedy. dont be so serious.

If she mocks Muslim culture or Muhammed on her show, let me know.

It's all in the same vein of it being OK for a black person to make jokes about white people, but it's NOT OK for a white person to make jokes about black people.

To me, they're both either wrong or OK. You can't have your cake and eat it too, except in "PC" America.