Day light savings time this weekend

millbank

Of course if the IT guys had build the systems the right way in the first place, it wouldn't take 34 hours to fix them.

:devil:

If I could build the environment myself, you're right. But when you inherit crap from other people and aren't given the resources to fix it the right way....

Sorry, touchy subject, as I just spent 30+ hours fixing a mail relaying environment that had been overworked for so long and finally tipped over. We've been telling them for awhile that they need to upgrade hardware (because they built it with shoestring and bubblegum....), but nobody listens until it breaks. Combine that with all the after-hours DST crap (that I predict will have NO tangible benefit to the country). I'm sure there's plenty of other IT people here that feel the same way.

I've never seen a payroll person work a 34 hour shift to fix a problem. In fact, if there's a payroll problem, guess who usually gets called in? Yup, IT folks. :devil:

CW

Not where I work. I do the payroll and I'm always the one they come running to when I mess something up (usually accidentally). I'm also the one they come running to with computer problems since we don't have an IT person (small company). Seems I'm the only one that is willing to learn anything about computers in our company. :nana:

If I could build the environment myself, you're right. But when you inherit crap from other people and aren't given the resources to fix it the right way....

Sorry, touchy subject, as I just spent 30+ hours fixing a mail relaying environment that had been overworked for so long and finally tipped over. We've been telling them for awhile that they need to upgrade hardware (because they built it with shoestring and bubblegum....), but nobody listens until it breaks. Combine that with all the after-hours DST crap (that I predict will have NO tangible benefit to the country). I'm sure there's plenty of other IT people here that feel the same way.

I feel like craynoz.... :devil:

Just bustin' your balls....we've been getting 3-11 emails for weeks now.

Not where I work. I do the payroll and I'm always the one they come running to when I mess something up (usually accidentally). I'm also the one they come running to with computer problems since we don't have an IT person (small company). Seems I'm the only one that is willing to learn anything about computers in our company. :devil:

So you're the defacto IT person, and they always come running to you when ther's a payroll problem. That proves my point :nana:

I feel like craynoz.... ;)

Just bustin' your balls....we've been getting 3-11 emails for weeks now.

I know you were, it just sucks because there's plenty of people who actually DO feel that what you posted is true because they don't see the time that goes into it. We estimated that we've spent around 1200 HOURS* fixing this stupid DST issue, and all of that's been in the last 2+ months. There's 8 of us in the group, but that's still an extra 20 hours/week on top of our regular work. :P It wouldn't be so bad if there was a benefit to this new DST, but I just don't see one....

* Part of it is that our company has no automated tools, and has a ton of legacy crap that needs to be tossed out and replaced with newer hardware/software but since that costs money, nobody wants to sign the checks to do it. No reason we should be running production on SunOS 2.5 or SCO boxes from 1995. :devil::nana:

I know you were, it just sucks because there's plenty of people who actually DO feel that what you posted is true because they don't see the time that goes into it. We estimated that we've spent around 1200 HOURS* fixing this stupid DST issue, and all of that's been in the last 2+ months. There's 8 of us in the group, but that's still an extra 20 hours/week on top of our regular work. :wacko: It wouldn't be so bad if there was a benefit to this new DST, but I just don't see one....

* Part of it is that our company has no automated tools, and has a ton of legacy crap that needs to be tossed out and replaced with newer hardware/software but since that costs money, nobody wants to sign the checks to do it. No reason we should be running production on SunOS 2.5 or SCO boxes from 1995. ;):wallbash:

IT people blow, thats why every company should be buying On-Demand, or Software as a Service (SaaS) applications :wallbash::nana:

Course, I'm not biased or anything, I just sell an an on demand application :P

Just busting again Fez, but always blows me away at start of sales cycle, CIO has his resources stretched so thin, he can barely keep the infrastucture running. But lo and behold, once a decision is about to made, lets bring that app behind the firewall and HIRE more people to run it :devil:

Hell no. Damn IT primadonnas get enough credit, especially for all the whining they do.

After all, do you thank the payroll folks for getting your check to you every two weeks?

I thank my payroll dept when they hand me my stub.

IT people blow, thats why every company should be buying On-Demand, or Software as a Service (SaaS) applications ;):nana:

Course, I'm not biased or anything, I just sell an an on demand application :P

Just busting again Fez, but always blows me away at start of sales cycle, CIO has his resources stretched so thin, he can barely keep the infrastucture running. But lo and behold, once a decision is about to made, lets bring that app behind the firewall and HIRE more people to run it :devil:

I've never worked for a company like that... Must be nice! :wallbash:

We've actually lost two staff members since I started this job a year ago (one quit and wasn't replaced, and the other moved into another group and wasn't replaced). We're REALLY thin right now, so we'll see what happens in the next few months.

Not that it really matters that much, as I'm going to be making the move into IT security in the not-so-distance future. I already have my CISSP and I'm getting trained in Forensics next month, so who knows how long I'll be at my current place. If anyone knows of any security jobs, PM me :wallbash:

CW

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a benefit to this new DST, but I just don't see one....

Well, as someone posted upthread, BUSH BAD!

The admin has really pissed off a lot of farmers with this, and sent IT depts into a bit of a tizzy spending countless hours for something that will have minimal-to-no impact. I could more easily forgive them if they didn't actually go out of their way to create problems.

I know you were, it just sucks because there's plenty of people who actually DO feel that what you posted is true because they don't see the time that goes into it. We estimated that we've spent around 1200 HOURS* fixing this stupid DST issue, and all of that's been in the last 2+ months. There's 8 of us in the group, but that's still an extra 20 hours/week on top of our regular work. :D It wouldn't be so bad if there was a benefit to this new DST, but I just don't see one....

* Part of it is that our company has no automated tools, and has a ton of legacy crap that needs to be tossed out and replaced with newer hardware/software but since that costs money, nobody wants to sign the checks to do it. No reason we should be running production on SunOS 2.5 or SCO boxes from 1995. :lol::blink:

Let me see if I have this straight. You worked for 1200 hours to get back one hour? Is this a Canadian company by any chance?