A peer-reviewed study about Wikipedia's accuracy

But in the absence of malnutrition, severe head injuries, or other severe environmental problems, a typical person's deviation from the average I.Q. will generally be explained largely by genetics.

...even though geneticists have no predictive measures for IQ, so it'll be predicted by psychometrics, which you don't understand either...

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Can you even BEGIN to explain psychometry to the class?

Didn't think so...

Given that you evidently know nothing about psychometrics, the following should be informative for you. Psychometrics was initially intended to study the field of intelligence, but has since expanded to include the study of a broader range of educational, mental and psychological characteristics. Psychometrics involves not merely the creation of measurement tools, but also the theories behind measurement. Charles Spearman was a leading pioneer.

...even though geneticists have no predictive measures for IQ, so it'll be predicted by psychometrics, which you don't understand either...

You're reiterating a point I made earlier: psychometrics can tell us a lot more about human intelligence than can geneticists. But once we start finding the specific alleles that control for intelligence, my response will be, so what? We've known for some time that intelligence was highly heritable, which is more important than knowing the mechanics of how the heritability works. That's sort of like knowing for many years that sex makes babies, but only coming into a recent understanding of sperm cells, egg cells, uterine walls, and so on.

Given that you evidently know nothing about psychometrics, the following should be informative for you. Psychometrics was initially intended to study the field of intelligence, but has since expanded to include the study of a broader range of educational, mental and psychological characteristics. Psychometrics involves not merely the creation of measurement tools, but also the theories behind measurement. Charles Spearman was a leading pioneer.

Thank you for making that sh-- up (well, everything except Spearman). It was very informative. :worthy:

You're reiterating a point I made earlier: psychometrics can tell us a lot more about human intelligence than can geneticists. But once we start finding the specific alleles that control for intelligence, my response will be, so what? We've known for some time that intelligence was highly heritable, which is more important than knowing the mechanics of how the heritability works. That's sort of like knowing for many years that sex makes babies, but only coming into a recent understanding of sperm cells, egg cells, uterine walls, and so on.

Oh...so now even though genetics determines intelligence, it's irrelevent because psychometrics proves it.

That would be much more convincing if you understood anything about genetics or psychometrics. Or even science. :worthy:

Oh...so now even though genetics determines intelligence, it's irrelevent because psychometrics proves it.

That would be much more convincing if you understood anything about genetics or psychometrics. Or even science. :worthy:

Did you know that eating ice cream and drowning deaths are heritable? They must be, because they are strongly correlated.

Did you know that eating ice cream and drowning deaths are heritable? They must be, because they are strongly correlated.

Just like car ownership and gun violence. Someday, we'll find the alleles that cause car ownership and gun violence, and my response will be "So what? Robble robble robble..."

The fact that you think you're special because you've heard about telomeres is truly pathetic. Anyone who read about Geron a few years back has heard of telomeres and their degradation over time.

Telomeres, their function, and their degradation are a basic idea in biology. But the fact that an in-bred low life moron like you has heard of them makes me quite pleased to find that mainstream science in fact HAS found its way down to the dregs of society. Apparently our work isnt for naught.

Of course, the problem with mainstream reaching those people who dont understand it (aka YOU), is that these people think they are all of a sudden experts on a topic because they read a sci am article and a wikipedia link. These folks (YOU) go on message boards acting like experts and trying to pass pro nazi beliefs and propaganda, all the while completely ignoring the truths of the science that undermines their stance. Then, when called out on their falsehood, these people (again YOU) try to back their way out of the corner by throwing out big words. Finally, these people inevitably just stop answering questions directed them (YOU), because they know they cant, and if they tried, they'd be proven wrong (as has happened to you thousands of times over the past 5 months). They then resort to simply posting their wrong crap repeatedly (YOU) and running around saying "i'm right", like a 5 year old.

Just like car ownership and gun violence. Someday, we'll find the alleles that cause car ownership and gun violence, and my response will be "So what? Robble robble robble..."

remember, car ownership heritability will probably drastically increase once a subject reaches the age of 16...now if we could only find the genetic component of why this occurs...

remember, car ownership heritability will probably drastically increase once a subject reaches the age of 16...now if we could only find the genetic component of why this occurs...

That's because kids stop driving their parents' cars and go out and buy their own. Just another instance of genetics determining environment.

And let's not forget that if the parents' car is nicer than the one their kids buy, they bought the wrong car, and the kids will regress to the mean when they go out and buy their car.

Does anyone else feel like this thread is an extended version of a WKRP episode?

Johnny: Dr. Monroe, you are an authority on juveneille delinquency.

Dr. Hymen Monroe: That is correct Dr. Fever.

JF: Well, what's wrong with kids these days Dr.?

HM: Ohh, ho, ho; there are myriad answers to that complex question Dr..

JF: I see.

HM: However, I shall endeavor to explain in layman's terms all of the pertinent factors involved.

JF: Fine, I'll just get real comfortable then.

HM: 1st of all, I have documented proof that the supramolecular structure of a child is MARKEDLY dissimilar to that of an adult.

JF: Really?

HM: Furthermore, it has been suggested, and not without credibility I might add, that the temporal lobe of every child is under constant bombardment by synaptic nerve impulses. (Pause) You see what I'm getting at, Dr.?

JF: Certainly I do, but, uh, perhaps you could explain it to our audience.

HM: Oh sure, well, uh, this is, can everybody see this?

JF: This is radio Dr..

HM: Uh, well, what this chart shows is that the chromosomal infringement occurs in the early stages of myosis, not later. I repeat - NOT LATER.

JF: That's wonderful, uh, Dr. how do you tie this in with, say, stealing hubcaps?

HM: Well, my, uh, studies establish without a shadow of a doubt that children are, by adult standards, IN-SANE and more than a little immature.

JF: And, and that's bad?

HM: Well, sure.

JF: Well, so what should we do about it?

HM: Round the little gutter snipes up.

JF: So tell me Dr., where did you receive your degree?

HM: In Long Beach, California.

JF: Long Beach State College...

HM: Ohh, no, no, no. From a man at the Casa De Suma apartments. His name was Buddy, or, uh, Junior, or something like that. NO! It was Bubba! Bubba Weinberger! And Bubba knew that I knew all there was to know.

HM: ... their habits are disgusting and their faces are always dirty. And what about shortness, how do you explain that?

Are you honestly this incapable of understanding a single word of my posts?

Does anyone else feel like this thread is an extended version of a WKRP episode?

Johnny: Dr. Monroe, you are an authority on juveneille delinquency.

Dr. Hymen Monroe: That is correct Dr. Fever.

JF: Well, what's wrong with kids these days Dr.?

HM: Ohh, ho, ho; there are myriad answers to that complex question Dr..

JF: I see.

HM: However, I shall endeavor to explain in layman's terms all of the pertinent factors involved.

JF: Fine, I'll just get real comfortable then.

HM: 1st of all, I have documented proof that the supramolecular structure of a child is MARKEDLY dissimilar to that of an adult.

JF: Really?

HM: Furthermore, it has been suggested, and not without credibility I might add, that the temporal lobe of every child is under constant bombardment by synaptic nerve impulses. (Pause) You see what I'm getting at, Dr.?

JF: Certainly I do, but, uh, perhaps you could explain it to our audience.

HM: Oh sure, well, uh, this is, can everybody see this?

JF: This is radio Dr..

HM: Uh, well, what this chart shows is that the chromosomal infringement occurs in the early stages of myosis, not later. I repeat - NOT LATER.

JF: That's wonderful, uh, Dr. how do you tie this in with, say, stealing hubcaps?

HM: Well, my, uh, studies establish without a shadow of a doubt that children are, by adult standards, IN-SANE and more than a little immature.

JF: And, and that's bad?

HM: Well, sure.

JF: Well, so what should we do about it?

HM: Round the little gutter snipes up.

JF: So tell me Dr., where did you receive your degree?

HM: In Long Beach, California.

JF: Long Beach State College...

HM: Ohh, no, no, no. From a man at the Casa De Suma apartments. His name was Buddy, or, uh, Junior, or something like that. NO! It was Bubba! Bubba Weinberger! And Bubba knew that I knew all there was to know.

HM: ... their habits are disgusting and their faces are always dirty. And what about shortness, how do you explain that?

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: That was great! Didn't he go on to say kids needed to be beaten? What a great tv that was

Telomeres, their function, and their degradation are a basic idea in biology. But the fact that an in-bred low life moron like you has heard of them makes me quite pleased to find that mainstream science in fact HAS found its way down to the dregs of society. Apparently our work isnt for naught.

Of course, the problem with mainstream reaching those people who dont understand it (aka YOU), is that these people think they are all of a sudden experts on a topic because they read a sci am article and a wikipedia link. These folks (YOU) go on message boards acting like experts and trying to pass pro nazi beliefs and propaganda, all the while completely ignoring the truths of the science that undermines their stance. Then, when called out on their falsehood, these people (again YOU) try to back their way out of the corner by throwing out big words. Finally, these people inevitably just stop answering questions directed them (YOU), because they know they cant, and if they tried, they'd be proven wrong (as has happened to you thousands of times over the past 5 months). They then resort to simply posting their wrong crap repeatedly (YOU) and running around saying "i'm right", like a 5 year old.

You've consistently demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about what mainstream science has to say about the study of intelligence; beyond the fact that the alleles associated with intelligence have yet to be identified. You may think your knowledge of that particular datum makes you qualified to argue to your heart's content about this material. It doesn't.

What you think are "falsehoods" are well-established facts in mainstream science. And just maybe you should learn what mainstream science has to say about intelligence before embarrassing yourself any further.

You've consistently demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about what mainstream science has to say about the study of intelligence; beyond the fact that the alleles associated with intelligence have yet to be identified. You may think your knowledge of that particular datum makes you qualified to argue to your heart's content about this material. It doesn't.

What you think are "falsehoods" are well-established facts in mainstream science. And just maybe you should learn what mainstream science has to say about intelligence before embarrassing yourself any further.

Falsehoods are declaring that the heritability of intelligence is 80% because intelligence correlation between twins is 80%.

(not to mention that mainstream biology states that the heritability of intelligence is 0.6, not 0.8)

Falsehoods are claiming that IQ is a complete and accurate assessment of intelligence.

Falsehoods are applying heritability to an individual and acting liek it has some type of merit.

Falsehoods are the refusal to answer the numerous amounts of questions provided to you.

Falsehoods are concluding that environment doesnt affect phenotype.

Falsehoods are relying on wikipedia as your only "source".

Falsehoods are essentially any idea that pops into that little idiot head of yours.