24 of the 30 NHL teams

Lv-Bills

I'm not blaming the team, I am blaming on teams fate being determined by a 'gimmick' or a skills competition....they play 65 minutes to the max and then have shootouts...I do not like PK's in soccer either...similar concept.

Under the current system, yes, you have to have a decent shootout record or it can hurt you...but I just do not like it.

Wait, let me see if I'm getting this straight. If the score is tied after 65 minutes you want the game to end correct? That would give both teams a point. Under the current system, if you lose the shootout you still get a point. So how does the current system hurt the "losing" team. It only does if they're playing someone in their conference/division.

Personally I love it, especially live.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not blaming the team, I am blaming on teams fate being determined by a 'gimmick' or a skills competition....they play 65 minutes to the max and then have shootouts...I do not like PK's in soccer either...similar concept.

Under the current system, yes, you have to have a decent shootout record or it can hurt you...but I just do not like it.

But do you not have a problem with the team that loses during the 5-min OT period yet still receives a point? The OT is not "real hockey" either -- it's 4-on-4.

Nobody likes ties. We want to see a winner each and every night. If you get to OT, you earn a point. If you win the skills competition for the evening, you earn an extra point. I don't think it's a problem.

After all, in the playoffs they let it end the way it should, and that's what really matters.

He did? Consider the possibility that it's neither profitable, or good public relations, to be less than complimentary to the current smell of the NHL...and Wayne-O likes his cash and fame.

While Wayne is certainly as money grubbing and two-faced as anyone I can think of, he's still not wrong about where he'd fit today. He'd still possess his vision and game acumen but he'd get hit a hell of a lot more than he ever did when he was playing and his talent margin from his era wouldn't extend to today.

Cash is king... No more Phil Espositos camping out, no more Robatille hip checks, No Jerry Korabs, no more Billy Smiths.

Ice Follies with sticks...

I don't know what games you're watching but there's still plenty of physical play in the NHL (though the stuff in front of the net has cut down). It's funny that you think it's ice follies with sticks but point at Wayne Gretzky, a player who never got hit in his NHL career. Ever. If you had said Mario Lemieux, you'd have somewhat of an argument. Though Mario never complained about being hit, only the clutching, grabbing and hooking that ruined the game for over a decade.

The game is better today than ever. Now that they've loosened up on the instigator rule (a clear admission that the rule should never have been imposed in the first place, but like all bureaucracies can't go all out and just get rid of their mistake), we're already seeing an increase in fighting.

Now if they'd just encourage the occasional line brawl while getting rid of clowns like Boogard...

I wish that the 4-on-4 sudden death went for at least 10 minutes. It's such exciting hockey and it would promote more 'true victories' while not tiring the guys out a whole lot more like a 20-minute period would.

Rumor has it they're actually kicking around an additional 3-on-3 format for the next five minutes. That'd end about 99% of games before the shootout, methinks.

Rumor has it they're actually kicking around an additional 3-on-3 format for the next five minutes. That'd end about 99% of games before the shootout, methinks.

Actually I heard they were going to keep the 4 on 4 but get rid of the goalies. Would pretty much eliminate the SO and stupid threads such as this one.

Wait, let me see if I'm getting this straight. If the score is tied after 65 minutes you want the game to end correct? That would give both teams a point. Under the current system, if you lose the shootout you still get a point. So how does the current system hurt the "losing" team. It only does if they're playing someone in their conference/division.

Personally I love it, especially live.

How does it hurt the losing team?

Simple...the team that Florida loses to...for example, "earns" another point otherwise they would have not received in the 1st place.

So I take it you like shootouts in soccer?

And ties worked in the NHL for over 75 years, I guess it was not that bad :rolleyes:

While Wayne is certainly as money grubbing and two-faced as anyone I can think of, he's still not wrong about where he'd fit today. He'd still possess his vision and game acumen but he'd get hit a hell of a lot more than he ever did when he was playing and his talent margin from his era wouldn't extend to today.

I don't know what games you're watching but there's still plenty of physical play in the NHL (though the stuff in front of the net has cut down). It's funny that you think it's ice follies with sticks but point at Wayne Gretzky, a player who never got hit in his NHL career. Ever. If you had said Mario Lemieux, you'd have somewhat of an argument. Though Mario never complained about being hit, only the clutching, grabbing and hooking that ruined the game for over a decade.

The game is better today than ever. Now that they've loosened up on the instigator rule (a clear admission that the rule should never have been imposed in the first place, but like all bureaucracies can't go all out and just get rid of their mistake), we're already seeing an increase in fighting.

Now if they'd just encourage the occasional line brawl while getting rid of clowns like Boogard...

Well, I certainly don't have perfect memory. I do recall a number of hits on Gretsky before he was declared off-limits, ala Michael Jordan. :rolleyes: Fights ensued when the Edmonton team stuck up for him. On that account, I've no specific recollection, but Gretsky was a tough enough player IMO, and I assume when there was a general melee he didn't shrink away.

But I cannot agree with you that the game is better than ever. A sport so intense by its nature, and one that can make an icer just...plain...angry, the usual 3 minute shift still on the ice causing considerable fatigue - and now with the powers that be, blowing a whistle at a frown.

Too many rules. Let 'em play...IMO.

Sorts out the Beer Leagues very well. Love to see what Pro's could do with it.

Well, I certainly don't have perfect memory. I do recall a number of hits on Gretsky before he was declared off-limits, ala Michael Jordan. :rolleyes: Fights ensued when the Edmonton team stuck up for him. On that account, I've no specific recollection, but Gretsky was a tough enough player IMO, and I assume when there was a general melee he didn't shrink away.

But I cannot agree with you that the game is better than ever. A sport so intense by its nature, and one that can make an icer just...plain...angry, the usual 3 minute shift still on the ice causing considerable fatigue - and now with the powers that be, blowing a whistle at a frown.

Too many rules. Let 'em play...IMO.

Wow, you are showing your age with that comment. :rolleyes: With the exception of the rare breed of cat like Pronger, shifts haven't been 3 minutes long since they started requiring rookies to wear helmets. :rolleyes:

How does it hurt the losing team?

Simple...the team that Florida loses to...for example, "earns" another point otherwise they would have not received in the 1st place.

But my point was that let's say the Sabres are playing the Ducks. The Ducks get one more point than the Sabres. How does that hurt the Sabres? They're in two different conferences.

So I take it you like shootouts in soccer?

In order for me to like shootouts in soccer I would have to like soccor. That ain't going going to happen.

Wow, you are showing your age with that comment. :rolleyes: With the exception of the rare breed of cat like Pronger, shifts haven't been 3 minutes long since they started requiring rookies to wear helmets. :rolleyes:

I think it's been longer then that since you've seen 3 minute shifts. Maybe for defensemen but not forwards.

If you take a deeper look at the stats you'll find that a few of the under 500 teams, especially those in the west, are actually the better teams in the league. They have had the misfortune of playing a tougher schedule to this point in the season.

My only problem with 4 on 4 overtime and shootouts is that some idiot is going to get it instated for the playoffs and I won't get to see another 6 period game. Also, if somebody remembers Gretzky getting clobbered, I want to share your memories. I have too many memories sitting in the Calgary Saddledome yelling "HIT THAT LITTLE F@#$&%!!!" while he danced around the offensive zone looking for Jari Kurri in front.

Just once I would have loved somebody to wipe that smirk off his face on the ice.

My only problem with 4 on 4 overtime and shootouts is that some idiot is going to get it instated for the playoffs and I won't get to see another 6 period game. Also, if somebody remembers Gretzky getting clobbered, I want to share your memories. I have too many memories sitting in the Calgary Saddledome yelling "HIT THAT LITTLE F@#$&%!!!" while he danced around the offensive zone looking for Jari Kurri in front.

Just once I would have loved somebody to wipe that smirk off his face on the ice.

Suter nailed him in the '91 Canada Cup. It's probably on Youtube somewhere.

It started when they decided to emulate roller hockey with the shootouts, and then compounded it with no-touch-me rules after their player strike.

I see that Crosby is the 2nd NHL teenager to score 200 points. Gretsky did it while getting hip checked, boarded, roughed, cross-checked, speared, tripped, gloved, etc.

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure McSorely kicked the crap out of Janet for breathing too hard in Wayne's ear on Valentine's Day.

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure McSorely kicked the crap out of Janet for breathing too hard in Wayne's ear on Valentine's Day.

I was actually offered a position as Wayne and Janet's personal chef when he played for the Kings. When Wayne said the position didn't come with keys to the bedroom during road trips, I politely declined