24 of the 30 NHL teams

Lv-Bills

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? In the east alone there are only 7 teams that have above a .500 record. The OT column is a loss. While the team gets a point for a regulation tie, that column is really OTL which stand for overtime loss. In the west there are 9 teams at or above .500. So out of 30 teams that's 16 with above .500. Which statisically is within the norm.

In fact from the NHL.com website:

OT = OT/Shootout losses (worth one point)

What are you talking about? In the east alone there are only 7 teams that have above a .500 record. The OT column is a loss. While the team gets a point for a regulation tie, that column is really OTL which stand for overtime loss. In the west there are 9 teams at or above .500. So out of 30 teams that's 16 with above .500. Which statisically is within the norm.

In fact from the NHL.com website:

OT = OT/Shootout losses (worth one point)

Winning percentage is total points/possible points. So for the winning percentage, an OTL counts as 0.5. If a team has more wins than regulation losses, they're above .500.

Winning percentage is total points/possible points. So for the winning percentage, an OTL counts as 0.5. If a team has more wins than regulation losses, they're above .500.

No a loss, is a loss. Just because you get a tie for regulation time tie, doesn't make it a non-loss. If you want to consier them ties then you have to do the same for Ot/shootout wins, consider them ties as well. <_<

Well it only makes sense that with the SO, there will be more teams over .500. Last year the regular season ended with 23 teams "over" .500. Since they get a point you can't truly count a SOL as a loss, but if you added those losses to the overall loss total you would have more teams under .500, and those are generally the teams on the bottom of the heap. This is the way its going to be with the new scoring system, the numbers will appear a bit skewed.

No a loss, is a loss. Just because you get a tie for regulation time tie, doesn't make it a non-loss. If you want to consier them ties then you have to do the same for Ot/shootout wins, consider them ties as well. :rolleyes:

Bang your head all you want, but I gave you how it's calculated. Why would a game where you gain 1 point be considered the same as a game where you get nothing? Anyway, in the end it really doesn't matter at all since all anyone cares about is the point totals. This "winning" percentage is just another way of quantifying that point total.

playing .500 hockey or better.

The new point system kinda blows. 24 of 30!

:rolleyes:

It started when they decided to emulate roller hockey with the shootouts, and then compounded it with no-touch-me rules after their player strike.

I see that Crosby is the 2nd NHL teenager to score 200 points. Gretsky did it while getting hip checked, boarded, roughed, cross-checked, speared, tripped, gloved, etc.

It started when they decided to emulate roller hockey with the shootouts, and then compounded it with no-touch-me rules after their player strike.

I see that Crosby is the 2nd NHL teenager to score 200 points. Gretsky did it while getting hip checked, boarded, roughed, cross-checked, speared, tripped, gloved, etc.

Bull. Sidney Crosby takes 10 times the abuse Gretzky EVER did and until last week had NO BACKUP. Gretzky always had Semenko, McSorely, etc. That says nothing of the significant increase in skill of the average NHL player (especially goalies) or the schemes they play vs the pond hockey of Wayne's heyday.

Gretzky would be roadkill in today's NHL. He's admitted nearly as much.

I still say they should have a shoot out win column... Why throw them (SO wins) in with the rest of the regulation wins?...

Still, 1/2 of the teams MAKE the playoffs...

Which is just about right, as evidenced by the EIGHTH seed representing in the Western Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals last season.

Ok, I gave the shootout a chance as a fan...and my 2 cents say it is time to get rid of the shootout.

Go back to the old system.

The skills competiton is hurting teams from making/contending for the playoffs.

Consider Florida and Boston, who are on both sides of this now:

Florida is 1-7 is shootouts and are 6 points out....Boston is 8-3, 4 points out of the playoffs and I predict will get the 8th seed (3 games in hand with Carolina)

Both are alive/hurt for different reasons because of the skills competition.

Note that Edmonton qualified for the playoffs over the Canucks last year BECAUSE of the shootout.

Ok, I gave the shootout a chance as a fan...and my 2 cents say it is time to get rid of the shootout.

Go back to the old system.

The skills competiton is hurting teams from making/contending for the playoffs.

Consider Florida and Boston, who are on both sides of this now:

Florida is 1-7 is shootouts and are 6 points out....Boston is 8-3, 4 points out of the playoffs and I predict will get the 8th seed (3 games in hand with Carolina)

Both are alive/hurt for different reasons because of the skills competition.

Note that Edmonton qualified for the playoffs over the Canucks last year BECAUSE of the shootout.

Wait, you want to get rid of shootouts because they are making a difference in who will make the playoffs? Isn't that the whole point, to settle who gets 2 points and who doesn't?

The shootouts rock. They are fun, exciting, and another thing that teams have to build a roster for.

If a team neglects shootouts, its their own fault. you are blaming the shootouts when you should be blaming the team.

Gretzky would be roadkill in today's NHL. He's admitted nearly as much.

He did? Consider the possibility that it's neither profitable, or good public relations, to be less than complimentary to the current smell of the NHL...and Wayne-O likes his cash and fame.

Cash is king... No more Phil Espositos camping out, no more Robatille hip checks, No Jerry Korabs, no more Billy Smiths.

Ice Follies with sticks...

Wait, you want to get rid of shootouts because they are making a difference in who will make the playoffs? Isn't that the whole point, to settle who gets 2 points and who doesn't?

The shootouts rock. They are fun, exciting, and another thing that teams have to build a roster for.

If a team neglects shootouts, its their own fault. you are blaming the shootouts when you should be blaming the team.

I'm not blaming the team, I am blaming on teams fate being determined by a 'gimmick' or a skills competition....they play 65 minutes to the max and then have shootouts...I do not like PK's in soccer either...similar concept.

Under the current system, yes, you have to have a decent shootout record or it can hurt you...but I just do not like it.

I'm not blaming the team, I am blaming on teams fate being determined by a 'gimmick' or a skills competition....they play 65 minutes to the max and then have shootouts...I do not like PK's in soccer either...similar concept.

Under the current system, yes, you have to have a decent shootout record or it can hurt you...but I just do not like it.

lol, gimmick.

Shootouts are:

1.) Exciting

2.) Fun

3.) Fair

4.) The same for everyone

If a team is not going to make the playoffs because of shootouts:

1.) They should be playing better hockey

2.) They, just like everyone else, knew shootouts were going to happen and needed to have some players for them.

Detroit has won one shootout and is going to make the playoffs just fine.