Electrical Help

plenzmd1

Anyelectricians here?

Buddy just bought a new dryer so am i taking his as mine is on its lasts legs. Electric dryer. My current set up as three prongs, his dryer has a 4 prong plug. From what I can see online, should be no big thing to swap out the plugs, but still makes a little nervous. I do NO electric work in home, but this seems pretty str8forward.

Has any body done this? Would you recommend opgarding the receptacle and wiring?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Anyelectricians here?

Buddy just bought a new dryer so am i taking his as mine is on its lasts legs. Electric dryer. My current set up as three prongs, his dryer has a 4 prong plug. From what I can see online, should be no big thing to swap out the plugs, but still makes a little nervous. I do NO electric work in home, but this seems pretty str8forward.

Has any body done this? Would you recommend opgarding the receptacle and wiring?

Upgrade your homeowner's and personal life insurance. :blink:

You should be able to head to sears or best buy or somewhere and pick up a new 3-prong plug. I woulndt recommend replacing the outlet on the wall. This outlet is 240V, and while in theory that should be no different than any regular outlet, I wouldnt risk it if this is your first time. (Open the breaker at a MINIMUM), but I'd let a professional deal with 240 if I were you.

But...you can replace the lead and plug attached to the dryer fairly easily. There should be a cover you can take off, a couple wirenuts to undo, purchase a new lead with a 3-pronged plug, re-attach to the dryer using NEW wire nuts (probably come with the plug). Put the protective cover back on, slide the dryer in place, line up the ventwork, plug it in, test it, and you should be good to go. Don't mess with the wall outlet. Should cost you about 20 bucks.

Edit...oops 240 not 440...

Anyelectricians here?

A four-prong socket is intended for 240 volts (it's actually a combined 120/240 volt socket, for appliances like an electric stove that has 240-volt heating elements but a 120-volt light). A three-prong socket is a grounded 120-volt line. You don't just swap out the plugs or sockets; you have to install a 240-volt breaker at the breaker box and most likely run new wires from the breaker to where you want the socket (a regular 120-volt breaker uses two wires; a 240-volt uses three or four).

In other words...if you have to ask, don't even think of doing it yourself. Hell, I know how to do it, and I wouldn't think of doing it myself. Hire an electrician, they're cheaper than doctors or morticians.

I think this will help you

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electrical-Wiri...ong-dryer-3.htm

Current electrical code requires all NEW construction to have 4 pronged outlets. 3 prongs are still okay for existing dwellings. If you want to bring your house up to current code, you will need to replace the outlet. This is not necessary however, because you are still in compliance with the code, and almost every dryer on the market will accept either the 3 prong or 4 prong plugs. Simply do as I stated above and you will be fine.

I think Bungee is refering to the standard 120V outlets that you would plug a TV into...this is different. both the 3 prong and 4 prong plugs are 240V.

(Disclaimer, I am not an electrician, but I play one in my home).

Current electrical code requires all NEW construction to have 4 pronged outlets. 3 prongs are still okay for existing dwellings. If you want to bring your house up to current code, you will need to replace the outlet. This is not necessary however, because you are still in compliance with the code, and almost every dryer on the market will accept either the 3 prong or 4 prong plugs. Simply do as I stated above and you will be fine.

I think Bungee is refering to the standard 120V outlets that you would plug a TV into...this is different. both the 3 prong and 4 prong plugs are 240V.

No, I'm not. I do actually know the difference between 120v and 240v. :blink:

Not only can i not e;ectrical, also appears I cannot google very well. That is what I was looking for. Think I am going to go the route of upgrading so as to meet current code.

Obviously, if I go that route will have an electrician do the work, so no need to up the life insurance Cincy :blink:

Thank to all for the replies

you can get a 3 prong plug to replace the 4 prong plug on the dryer. It costs about $7 and it takes about 5 minutes of setup. My old apartment had a 4 prong outlet, so our dryer was setup with the 4 prong. Our house has a 3 prong, so i had to make the switch. If memory serves me correctly, the ground wire shares a post iwth another wire in the 3 prong setup. It's honestly a breeze to do.

Well...when there is a disagreement, go with the most conservative option....hire (or at least call) a licensed electrician for an answer. (still think im right though!)

We're both half-right.

Basically, it's not the number of prongs, it's the number and orientation that determines voltage and amperage. A four-prong outlet is always a dual-voltage, 120/240 circuit for the purpose I said above (I just had to install one in my workshop), but 30 or 50 amp depending on the configuration. A three prong outlet can be...damn near anything from a 15-amp 120v grounded line to an old 50-amp 120/240 line.

Given we're talking about dryers...it's an old 30-amp 120/240 line (three prong) with a new 120/240 plug (four prong). Plenzmd, can you confirm the shapes of the plug and outlet here? http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20Re...onfiguratio.htm

We're both half-right.

Basically, it's not the number of prongs, it's the number and orientation that determines voltage and amperage. A four-prong outlet is always a dual-voltage, 120/240 circuit for the purpose I said above (I just had to install one in my workshop), but 30 or 50 amp depending on the configuration. A three prong outlet can be...damn near anything from a 15-amp 120v grounded line to an old 50-amp 120/240 line.

Given we're talking about dryers...it's an old 30-amp 120/240 line (three prong) with a new 120/240 plug (four prong). Plenzmd, can you confirm the shapes of the plug and outlet here? http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20Re...onfiguratio.htm

go to the 30 amp pictures and its the bottom two

Changing the outlet on the wall is not that hard to do, just basic wiring (if you don't know that, definitly don't touch it)

We had a gas dryer originally and then we changed to an electric afterwards. I was lucky we had the switch in our panel already for an electric dryer so I only had to run the wire from the panel to an outlet on the wall. Have yet to have a problem with it

I would consult a repair man first on changing the plug ends to be safe and to make sure it can be done without risking a problem

You need an new outlet, your dryer needs 240V to run the heating element. Here's my previous post qouted if you feel like undertaking it yourself.

Actually if you look at this chart http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20Re...onfiguratio.htm you will notice that the are both the same, except that one is an older style then the other, but both carry 240V

I don't think he is talking about plugging into a regular wall outlet

Actually if you look at this chart http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20Re...onfiguratio.htm you will notice that the are both the same, except that one is an older style then the other, but both carry 240V

I don't think he is talking about plugging into a regular wall outlet

I did look at that chart, the 30amp style he says it has.