Marv is going to focus on LB's and CB's in the draft

I don't think he's comfortable with DT at all. His stated offseason goal was to improve in the areas of run and stop the run. He's done one of those...

Good point but an upgrade at MLB would help against the run.

I wouldn't rule out Marshawn Lynch. If Willis is traded, we are going to have some pretty big holes at RB, LB and CB. I think the draft is a lot deeper at CB than either RB or ILB and we do have Ashton Y. on deck ready to show if he can play. I don't think Marv sees CB as the major need we have to fill as so many of the draftniks do. That leaves RB and and inside LB. So maybe it comes down to Lynch vs. Patrick Willis. It could come down to who they like at those positions in the 2d and 3d rounds. It could be a comparison along the lines of Willis in the 1st with Irons in the 2d vs. Lynch in the 1st and David Harris in the 2d. Gets even more complicated when you toss CB in to the mix. Then you have to start adding in guys like Eric Wright and Tanard Jackson in the third, Marcus McCauley or Aaron Ross in the 2d or, if the draftniks are right, Houston, Revis or Hall in the 1st.

Good point. The cover 2 relies on attacking linebackers to help stop the run, from what I've read. I wouldn't even call my self a beginner or a novice and understanding this Defense, but we have the safety, that is incredibly important, now we need the attacking LB and a shutdown corner. Big (huge) positions to fill of course.

I don't think the Bills had anything against LFB. In fact, what's not to like? Sure tackler, high character guy, a leader....

He just didn't fit the defense. Neither does TKO...unfortunately.

I wouldn't rule out Marshawn Lynch. If Willis is traded, we are going to have some pretty big holes at RB, LB and CB. I think the draft is a lot deeper at CB than either RB or ILB and we do have Ashton Y. on deck ready to show if he can play. I don't think Marv sees CB as the major need we have to fill as so many of the draftniks do. That leaves RB and and inside LB. So maybe it comes down to Lynch vs. Patrick Willis. It could come down to who they like at those positions in the 2d and 3d rounds. It could be a comparison along the lines of Willis in the 1st with Irons in the 2d vs. Lynch in the 1st and David Harris in the 2d. Gets even more complicated when you toss CB in to the mix. Then you have to start adding in guys like Eric Wright and Tanard Jackson in the third, Marcus McCauley or Aaron Ross in the 2d or, if the draftniks are right, Houston, Revis or Hall in the 1st.

Where is DT in your analysis?

Here's the thing. By letting Nate go, the Bills have made the decision to go to a straight cover-2 defense. Right now, we need someone to step in to help rush the passer AND stop the run. We need to get better on the d-line to make this defense work.

DraftTek now has it ILB, CB, DT, FB, WR, OLB

1. Willis ILB

2. Hughes CB

3. Pitcock DT

4. Leonard FB

These picks rock.

6. Mike Walker Cent.Fla. WR 6'2", 200 I'd rather see Matt Trannon here but agree with WR or OLB at this pick.

7. Dallas Sartz OLB 8th ranked OLB in the draft; he's 6-5, 235, and a USC team captain. I'd go for him in RD#6. If we want a RD#7 OLB, I'd take Quincy Black:

Returning starter who took over the safety/linebacker hybrid Lobo position, made famous at UNM by All-American Brian Urlacher in 1998 and '99...usually lines up between linebacker and safety depth and has significant pass coverage responsibilities...at 6-3, 227, he is an intimidating physical presence in the secondary who boasts NFL-caliber athletic ability...was listed by ESPN.com's NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. as one of the nation's top senior OLBs during the summer...2006 team captain...quickly established himself as a big time playmaker against the run and pass last season in his first year as a starter (OLB)...has proven to be a real steal for the Lobos...was a late addition to the team, transferring from Harper College in Palatine, Ill. in the summer of 2004...a second team All-American at defensive end for the Harper Hawks, helping the team win the junior college national title in 2003...holds the LB vertical jump record at UNM with a 42-inch leap...well-spoken and well-read individual who has maintained a tremendous attitude despite enduring much tragedy in his life off the field.

I'd also point out that the easiest way to improve your defense is to keep the opposing offense on the bench. You do that by running the ball.

But yeah, you are right. The one piece of the puzzle being ignored by many is positional depth in the draft. How many top tier guys are there at each need position, and how large is the drop to the 2nd tier? Its a question that needs to be answered. You have to maximize the value of your picks.

Myself, I would draft a DT or RB in R1, MLB in R2, and CB in R3. The reasoning is simple. Given the positional depth in the draft, and the historical trends of how teams value each position, you are more likely to get good prospects at each position by taking them in that order.

Where is DT in your analysis?

Here's the thing. By letting Nate go, the Bills have made the decision to go to a straight cover-2 defense. Right now, we need someone to step in to help rush the passer AND stop the run. We need to get better on the d-line to make this defense work.

I agree with the need for a DT that can rush and stop the run. However, the staff apparently thinks that is what they have in McCargo. Further, if we trade Willis, the holes at MLB, RB and CB are going to be more pressing compared to the situation on the defensive line. They clearly have high hopes for McCargo, think highly of Tripplett and see good things in the future for Kyle Williams. For my part, I have no idea if McCargo is going to be the player we need him to be so I am just going to trust the coaches on that one. He is too young and his first season too short for us to really know what we have there.

However, the staff apparently thinks that is what they have in McCargo.

How do you know that? HOw do you know the staff doesn't think A-train is the answer at RB? Or Haggan at LB?

Besides... McCargo plays the 3-tech along the line. We need someone on the nose next to him that can take on double teams. I like Kyle Williams but he's an energy/rotation guy more than a guy who's going to consistently take up double teams.

1. Willis ILB

2. Hughes CB

3. Pitcock DT

4. Leonard FB

These picks rock.

6. Mike Walker Cent.Fla. WR 6'2", 200 I'd rather see Matt Trannon here but agree with WR or OLB at this pick.

7. Dallas Sartz OLB 8th ranked OLB in the draft; he's 6-5, 235, and a USC team captain. I'd go for him in RD#6. If we want a RD#7 OLB, I'd take Quincy Black:

Returning starter who took over the safety/linebacker hybrid Lobo position, made famous at UNM by All-American Brian Urlacher in 1998 and '99...usually lines up between linebacker and safety depth and has significant pass coverage responsibilities...at 6-3, 227, he is an intimidating physical presence in the secondary who boasts NFL-caliber athletic ability...was listed by ESPN.com's NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. as one of the nation's top senior OLBs during the summer...2006 team captain...quickly established himself as a big time playmaker against the run and pass last season in his first year as a starter (OLB)...has proven to be a real steal for the Lobos...was a late addition to the team, transferring from Harper College in Palatine, Ill. in the summer of 2004...a second team All-American at defensive end for the Harper Hawks, helping the team win the junior college national title in 2003...holds the LB vertical jump record at UNM with a 42-inch leap...well-spoken and well-read individual who has maintained a tremendous attitude despite enduring much tragedy in his life off the field.

I'd love it if we managed to snag Leonard in the 4th!

1. Willis ILB

2. Hughes CB

3. Pitcock DT

4. Leonard FB

if we walk out of day one with Willis, Hughes and Pitcock, i will be one of the happiest people alive. then add leonard to start out day 2...

it would almost be enough to convince me to re-new my season tickets! :blink:

I agree with the need for a DT that can rush and stop the run. However, the staff apparently thinks that is what they have in McCargo.

I agree with most of the things you have said ,Mickey, other than this since we don't know what will still transpire in free agency and the draft. If they draft Okoye and another DT, or add one in free agency, it may be an indication that they don't have all that much confidence in McCargo. Thanks

How do you know that? HOw do you know the staff doesn't think A-train is the answer at RB? Or Haggan at LB?

Besides... McCargo plays the 3-tech along the line. We need someone on the nose next to him that can take on double teams. I like Kyle Williams but he's an energy/rotation guy more than a guy who's going to consistently take up double teams.

Well i think if they thought A-train was the answer he would be signed i think thats the most important thing is getting a rb in here to learn the system if they really are trading willis.