Hit on Tomas Kaberle last evening

millbank

I duuno. Maybe he had it coming.

You never know. Kaberle might have muttered something like, "The women in your family smell like cabbage at harvest time," which is quite a compliment in his native Czechoslovakia. But a guy growing up in St. Louie like Janssen did, might not have taken it the way it was meant. He coulda thought it was something dirty.

He should have been suspended. I'm glad to see the league followed through.

I also hope the league addresses high shots to the head (as opposed to the Schaefer hit on Connolly) as they are pretty much intentional attempts to injure the opponent.

The only significant difference that I see between the Kaberle and Drury hits is that the puck ended up on somebody else's stick before Kaberle was hit. The hit was a fraction later than the one on Drury, but had the puck not gone to Colaiacovo would have been technically legal (and still dirty) like the other hit.

The only significant difference that I see between the Kaberle and Drury hits is that the puck ended up on somebody else's stick before Kaberle was hit. The hit was a fraction later than the one on Drury, but had the puck not gone to Colaiacovo would have been technically legal (and still dirty) like the other hit.

That, and Kaberle was nearer the boards and sent into them headfirst. And, unlike Drury, when he passed the puck away Kaberle wasn't even close to the play.

That, and Kaberle was nearer the boards and sent into them headfirst. And, unlike Drury, when he passed the puck away Kaberle wasn't even close to the play.

The puck was in the corner when Drury got creamed. Had Colaiacovo not touched the puck, for whatever reason, Kaberle would have been the player "in possession" of the puck and when Jannsen hit Kaberle he'd have been hitting the player "in possession" of the puck. Had Stafford tipped Drury's shot, then he'd have been the player in possession and Neil's hit would have been interference as Janssen's hit was (although there was no call at the time).

Janssen didn't get suspended because of Kaberle hitting the boards, he got suspended because the hit was "late". Colaiacovo possessing the puck being what made this one late and Drury "possessing" the puck apparently being what kept the other hit from being "late".

Both hits were shoulders to the jaw after the puck was already on the other side of the ice. Had Kaberle not taken a shoulder to the head he most likely wouldn't have spun head first into the boards. Had Drury not taken a shoulder to the head he most likely wouldn't have face planted into the ice.

The puck was in the corner when Drury got creamed. Had Colaiacovo not touched the puck, for whatever reason, Kaberle would have been the player "in possession" of the puck and when Jannsen hit Kaberle he'd have been hitting the player "in possession" of the puck. Had Stafford tipped Drury's shot, then he'd have been the player in possession and Neil's hit would have been interference as Janssen's hit was (although there was no call at the time).

Janssen didn't get suspended because of Kaberle hitting the boards, he got suspended because the hit was "late". Colaiacovo possessing the puck being what made this one late and Drury "possessing" the puck apparently being what kept the other hit from being "late".

Both hits were shoulders to the jaw after the puck was already on the other side of the ice. Had Kaberle not taken a shoulder to the head he most likely wouldn't have spun head first into the boards. Had Drury not taken a shoulder to the head he most likely wouldn't have face planted into the ice.

I disagree. The reason Janssen is suspended is because he's a plumber and Thomas Kaberle plays for the Leafs. Compare it to the Briere vs Ovechkin hit, which was even worse than what happened to Kaberle because Briere had no idea Oven Chicken was behind him and was leaving the ice for a line change. He's lucky he's not paralyzed or dead. Kaberle was simply lazy and not paying attention and got cleaned for his trouble. I'm not saying it wasn't a dirty hit or wasn't late, it was. But it pales desperately in comparison to what happened to Briere.

I'd love to see what would happen if Crosby hit one of the Leafs dirty. Someone at the league would probably commit suicide.

I disagree. The reason Janssen is suspended is because he's a plumber and Thomas Kaberle plays for the Leafs. Compare it to the Briere vs Ovechkin hit, which was even worse than what happened to Kaberle because Briere had no idea Oven Chicken was behind him and was leaving the ice for a line change. He's lucky he's not paralyzed or dead. Kaberle was simply lazy and not paying attention and got cleaned for his trouble. I'm not saying it wasn't a dirty hit or wasn't late, it was. But it pales desperately in comparison to what happened to Briere.

I'd love to see what would happen if Crosby hit one of the Leafs dirty. Someone at the league would probably commit suicide.

Oh, I don't disagree at all that there are different levels of justice for guys like Ovie and Cyndie, and no I don't think that is right.

But, with mere mortal stars/players, I think that the likelihood that the NHLPA argued that the Drury hit was technically legal and the case could not be made that the Kaberle hit was technically legal was the difference.

I also am interested in hearing / reading the TO media's take on these hits because I think the Janssen hit was less dirty than the one that Farcy tried to throw on Jochen last year. They didn't seem to see anything wrong with a guy skating past the guy that hit him cleanly to try to throw an elbow at a smaller player's head but miss and take out his knee. (The foot's on the other hand now.)