Hit on Tomas Kaberle last evening

millbank

Of course it was late, of course they should have called a penalty, but Leafs needing every point they can get had to remain cool and wait another day to get even. They retaliate , end up with guys in the box, game over two points lost. They remained cool , to the coaches credit as he gathered team together right after this hit happened, kept it together and won game. There will be another day to have a talk with this Devil.

It was late. They should have responded. The officials should have called a penalty.

Of course it was late, of course they should have called a penalty, but Leafs needing every point they can get had to remain cool and wait another day to get even. They retaliate , end up with guys in the box, game over two points lost. They remained cool , to the coaches credit as he gathered team together right after this hit happened, kept it together and won game. There will be another day to have a talk with this Devil.

Don't the two teams play again in a few weeks up in Toronto? That is going to be one physical game!

I think they do, but even at that the Leafs if they still have a shot at playoffs , have to leave this be. There will be another day. As Harry Neale was saying Bobby Baun had hit Gordie Howe a shot, Gordie got even , ten years later. What is scary here is there will be a great deal of fuss about this hit and given no penalty was called and it appears league again will do nothing about a head shot, the next hit will catch all the suspension others before should have. Guys have to play the game with one eye where they are going and one eye on where the other guy is , its a mans game. But there also has to be respect, currently respect for each other is lacking in game.

Don't the two teams play again in a few weeks up in Toronto? That is going to be one physical game!

Let me just say the short term gain won't have the long term effect that sticking up for your teammate would have. Of course, without Belak being dressed, it's not like Team Euro had anyone they could send out there to do anything.

Somehow the Sabres managed to beat the crap out of Ottawa AND get the two points (plus win 2 of the next 3 games while scoring 19 goals). Perhaps that's why we have the most points in the entire NHL.

I don't see an elbow on the hit, just the typical follow through of a violent collision. Once again, the NHL officials should be embarassed for not calling a penalty on that play. I hope Kaberle is OK, though I suspect he'll be out for a while.

Huge difference between the Sabres at present and Leafs. The Sabres are playing out the season, they could afford to lose a game to prove a point. To often in this day of immediate gratification we apply this thinking to games like hockey, where men have cooled there personal issues with each other for the sake of the team, and wait another day to even the score. Actually last night with the Leafs remaining cool, keeping it together and getting the two points likely at the end of this season will be pointed to as a big reason why they make playoffs, this doing a great deal more for team unity. This devils time will come.

Let me just say the short term gain won't have the long term effect that sticking up for your teammate would have. Of course, without Belak being dressed, it's not like Team Euro had anyone they could send out there to do anything.

Somehow the Sabres managed to beat the crap out of Ottawa AND get the two points (plus win 2 of the next 3 games while scoring 19 goals). Perhaps that's why we have the most points in the entire NHL.

I don't see an elbow on the hit, just the typical follow through of a violent collision. Once again, the NHL officials should be embarassed for not calling a penalty on that play. I hope Kaberle is OK, though I suspect he'll be out forr a while.

That was an incredibly cheap shot, even if it wasn't as late as it was, it was a cheap shot. A suspension and fine is definately in order after that, but I doubt we see it. I love physical hockey, but I draw the line when the intent is to injure another player, especially when he is no longer part of the play.

it was late... discuss further at www.sabrespace.com. It's the sister site to TBD, so there's a lot of cross membership. SDS did a great job with the site, it runs on the same engine as this site, the members post intelligent thoughts and opinions, and i've just shamelessly plugged for the day.