Dance Copyright Enforced by DMCA

Tux of Borg

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/04/2216219

"The "creator" of the Dance move known as the electric slide has filed a DMCA based takedown notice for videos he deems to infringe and because they show "bad dancing". He is also seeking compensation from the use of the dance move at a wedding celebration shown on the Ellen Degeneres Show. Next up, the Funky Chicken, the moonwalk, and the Hustle? More seriously, does the DMCA have any limit on its scope?"

"The "creator" of the Dance move known as the electric slide has filed a DMCA based takedown notice for videos he deems to infringe and because they show "bad dancing". He is also seeking compensation from the use of the dance move at a wedding celebration shown on the Ellen Degeneres Show. Next up, the Funky Chicken, the moonwalk, and the Hustle? More seriously, does the DMCA have any limit on its scope?"

What does "takedown notice" mean?

Seems to me that most of not all recent popular dance amounts to variations on a "dry hump" theme... :thumbdown:

I'd say this: a choreographer probably has the right to disallow someone from using his/her dance and charging a fee to an unauthorized performance or for selling a video of it. This because that dance is intellectual property and time and money was invested to create that original work. Until we want to subsidize artists on a more wholesale basis, if we want them to create things that the public will enjoy, they have to be able to eat to do so.

As to whether this means everyone unfortunately trying to dance like MC Hammer should be sending him a check, I'm less certain about that.

This because that dance is intellectual property

whaaaaat????

IP over bodily movement? Sorry but that's fugging ridiculous. That's like saying Mariah Carey (or Minnie Riperton's estate) can claim IP over hitting high notes.

whaaaaat????

IP over bodily movement? Sorry but that's fugging ridiculous. That's like saying Mariah Carey (or Minnie Riperton's estate) can claim IP over hitting high notes.

By all rights I am certain you can copyright a dance piece. Not one singular movement -- like the King of Pop can't claim ownership of the crotch grab -- but a series of them developed in the studio. I'll have to check on this. I do some sound for dance groups often and they've mentioned that performances/choreography can't be copied.

It's like the song versus the performance of it. You need rights to perform the (written) song, or rights to speak written lines in a theatre.