Whiners!

stuckincincy

:lol:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2907021

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, Professor Jean Twenge of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered enough already."

"Twenge, the author of "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled and More Miserable Than Ever Before," said narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others."

"The researchers traced the phenomenon back to what they called the "self-esteem movement" that emerged in the 1980s, asserting that the effort to build self-confidence had gone too far.

As an example, Twenge cited a song commonly sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques" in preschool: "I am special, I am special. Look at me." Current technology fuels the increase in narcissism," Twenge said. "By its very name, MySpace encourages attention-seeking, as does YouTube."

i recently had a conversation in which we determined Myspace is the worst thing to happen to society in the past 30 years.

Personally, I believe historians will look back at the debut of instant messaging as marking the start of the downfall of society.

I'd cast a ballot for the automobile cupholder.

Yeah. Because holding on to your beer while driving built character...

And I think a youngster would be wise to get into the medical audiology field.

It's what all the narcissists study.

Upon reflection, we ought to make "I am special, I am special. Look at me." the TSW theme song...

Upon reflection, we ought to make "I am special, I am special. Look at me." the TSW theme song...

A new pickup line:

My girlfriend is in Toronto for work this week, and she called me last night and said she was out for drinks with some co-workers, and some guy in the bar came up to her and said, "Your mom must've been retarded, 'cause baby you are special."

:lol::lol: That definitely cracked me up when she told me.

Not long ago a study was done comparing various levels of self esteem among different groups of people, and found that those who had the highest levels of self esteem were hardened convicts currently incarcerated in the roughest of prisons. Those who had very low levels were female 13 year old straight A students.

A new pickup line:

My girlfriend is in Toronto for work this week, and she called me last night and said she was out for drinks with some co-workers, and some guy in the bar came up to her and said, "Your mom must've been retarded, 'cause baby you are special."

:unsure::P That definitely cracked me up when she told me.

Well...did she hook up with him? :thumbsup:

BTW--all those who are bitching about my space, instant messaging etc. sound like your parents & grandparents. Depending on age substitute any combination of the following: R&R, pot, coke, grunge, goth, masturbation etc. etc. etc.

The tools may change, but the message remains the same...

I remember back in the day on the beach in Biloxi where we would approach young and nubile college chickies from Southern institutions with the line "Nice bum...where ya from?" Actually worked from time to time. Ahhhh those crazy days!

Bet that silver tongue :thumbsup: was put to good use!