Our draft RB?

I'll never understand this " yea, we'll just pick up our starting running back in the 2nd or 3rd round" talk.

There are 2 positions that are basically all or nothing, quarterback and running back. It's not like picking a defensive lineman and he just turns out to be average, he can still start. A bust of a back is almost useless. You want to play the odds when you pick these guys. I want 1st round guys.

I know that great backs have been picked in later rounds, but if Willis is gone the Bills need a guy from this draft or possibly next year (though a poor season this year could set the team adrift again).

I don't think this is a deep draft at RB. Big Problem

maurice jones-drew picked 60th

frank gore picked in the 3rd

tatum bell picked in the 2nd

chris brown picked in the 3rd

clinton portis picked in the mid-2nd

brian westbrook picked in the 3rd

those all just in the past 5 drafts

and id argue that this draft is "deep enough" in RBs, (Peterson, Lynch, Hunt, Bush, Irons, Booker, Pittman) that we can grab a quality guy in the 2nd easily. sorta like Thurman...

btw, McGahee was a "1st round guy"...

maurice jones-drew picked 60th

frank gore picked in the 3rd

tatum bell picked in the 2nd

chris brown picked in the 3rd

clinton portis picked in the mid-2nd

brian westbrook picked in the 3rd

those all just in the past 5 drafts

and id argue that this draft is "deep enough" in RBs, (Peterson, Lynch, Hunt, Bush, Irons, Booker, Pittman) that we can grab a quality guy in the 2nd easily. sorta like Thurman...

btw, McGahee was a "1st round guy"...

Yeah, like I said I realize great players have been taken in other rounds, and that not every 1st rounder works out. I guess I have to make my own list .

To me Marshawn Lynch seeems like the only option, I don't know what his personality, work ethic, etc is like, but Iknow he can catch the ball well, and can run inside.

That "McGahee was a first round guy" and "sorta like Thurman" stuff was cute, any old 2nd rounder can be Thurman.

Be back with a list.

Yeah, like I said I realize great players have been taken in other rounds, and that not every 1st rounder works out. I guess I have to make my own list .

To me Marshawn Lynch seeems like the only option, I don't know what his personality, work ethic, etc is like, but Iknow he can catch the ball well, and can run inside.

That "McGahee was a first round guy" and "sorta like Thurman" stuff was cute, any old 2nd rounder can be Thurman.

Be back with a list.

I went to the Hall of Fame Site

25 Running backs

1 Marcus Allen

1 Jim Brown (FB) 1957-1965

1 Earl Campbell (RB) 1978-1985 1 Larry Csonka (FB) 1968-1979

1 Eric Dickerson (RB) 1983-1993

1 Tony Dorsett (RB) 1977-1988

1 Frank Gifford (HB-FL) 1952-1960, 1962-1964

1 Franco Harris (RB) 1972-1984

1 Paul Hornung (HB) 1957-1962, 1964-

1 Lenny Moore (HB) 1956-1967

1 John Riggins (RB) 1971-1979, 1981-1985

1 Barry Sanders (RB) 1989-1998

1 O.J. Simpson (RB) 1969-1979

1 Charley Trippi (HB) 1947-1955

1 Hugh McElhenny (HB) 1952-1964

1 Walter Payton

8 Leroy Kelly

2 John Henry Johnson

2 Thurman Thomas

2 Jim Taylor

? Gayle Sayers

? Doak Walker

? Ollie Matson

? Marion Motley

? Joe Perry

I realize that to expect a HOF running back is alot, but I want a GREAT back and you have WAY better odds in the 1st RD. I don't even like the lower end of the 1st round. In the next couple of years Losman will be in his prime, Evans will be in his prime, this draft or next year is the time to get a 1st rate guy (and next year we hopefully won't be picking so high), NOW is the time.

I also looked at some recent drafts (2000-2007), saw alot of busts and average guys after the first 15 or so picks.

have to agree. maybe bills just get a stop gap solution this year, soldify defense and let them mature another year and go BIG time for a starting RB next year.

Why not trade next years 1st rounder to get a RB this year (draft or turner)?

i like that idea.... last time they did that they ended up with two solid first rounders (losman and evans)... you know marvs gotta have something up his dusty old sleeves! :thumbsup: