Had to call a locksmith late last night...

buckeyemike

The deadbolt broke and I could not get into my condominium.

I had to drive back to my office (I didn't have my cell phone...it was in the house), call my wife at work, call a locksmith after 10:00 P.M. on a Sunday night...and wait in the cold until after 11:30 for him to show up.

Fortunately, it took him only five minutes to get me into the house, and 30 minutes to set up a new lock. Expensive, but in the long run, it was actually cheaper than I thought it would be, and he showed me that the inside of the lock had basically come apart over time. It could have happened at any time, to Kim or myself...just happened to me then.

My poor cat was meowing the whole time I was trying to get into the house, since he had eaten the little bit of food I had set out before I left. I think he was still mad at me this morning.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The deadbolt broke and I could not get into my condominium.

I had to drive back to my office (I didn't have my cell phone...it was in the house), call my wife at work, call a locksmith after 10:00 P.M. on a Sunday night...and wait in the cold until after 11:30 for him to show up.

Fortunately, it took him only five minutes to get me into the house, and 30 minutes to set up a new lock. Expensive, but in the long run, it was actually cheaper than I thought it would be, and he showed me that the inside of the lock had basically come apart over time. It could have happened at any time, to Kim or myself...just happened to me then.

My poor cat was meowing the whole time I was trying to get into the house, since he had eaten the little bit of food I had set out before I left. I think he was still mad at me this morning.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yeah, I've had a very similar experience. My wife didn't leave me enough food Friday morning; I was starving by the time she got home from work...

Careful...those cats have ways of getting even. Had mine sh-- on the bed once cuz he was po'd that I hadn't cleaned out the kitty litter. He came real close to having an early meeting with Cat Jesus.

Oh man that little bastard would have been D-E-E-D, dead.

Things like this only ever happen on a Sunday night when nobody's working and IF you can find someone to help you the cost is through the roof. Its some sort of corollary to Murphy's Law.

Can't remember the last time I had to get a plumber, electrician or locksmith out at a decent hour (last time the plumber came out it was 11pm the night before Thanksgiving when the hot water heater stopped heating - pretty scary thinking you could be without hot water until Monday morning unless someone makes an emergency call).

Scary how easy he got into your house, no? :)

We had a similar situation, although it wasn't due to a broken lock. We leave the door in the garage unlocked (since you need to open the garage door to get in -- not impossible, but hey). Well, we got in the bad habit of not even carrying our house keys with us. One day, the door somehow got locked. My wife was the last to leave, so either she accidentally did it or one of the cats did it. :worthy: We tried getting in through an open window on the second floor, but nobody we knew had a long enough ladder. We went to the police station to see if they could help us, but nobody was there (it's a small town). Finally this guy a few doors down from us tried some stiff cardboard and we were able to jimmy the lock open. It kinda sucked but now we always have our keys like we should have in the first place. :)

Late night calls suck -- our furnace went out a few weeks ago on Saturday night and it cost us about $330 to get it replaced, most of which was "emergency late night call" fees. :(

CW

Twice.

When I was 18 and still living with my parents, they took my brother and sister up to Toronto for the weekend. I had to work and stayed home. Somehow, I locked the keys in the house. Luckily, the cellar window was not latched and I squeezed in (barely). Couldn't do it now- they got the glass blocks later.

I was living in Albany and my family visited me. Somehow my brother ended up with my house keys when they left for Buffalo. I realized that when I tried to get back into my apartment. I had my car keys and started chasing them (this was way before cell phones). Finally caught up to them in Amsterdam.