new draft scenario?

tennesseeboy

First things first. As I predicted the weight "issue" on Okoye was resolved with him showing up at 305. The maturity? He was selected captain of the defense at senior bowl, graduated from college and seems a lot more mature than most first round picks, and he gets older every week. The bad part? His stock is rapidly getting to project him to the top ten.

Second, if we let four or five defensive starters walk, we are going to be writing this year off to rebuild "in the long term" (huge mistake in this day and age rather than aiming to win now by resigning the defensive players and strengthening the trenches for a playoff and/or superbowl run either this year or next. That being the case we have lots of draft options. That being the case we will get a second round choice (I think) from a team like the Giants and might be wise to trade down and look for solid players in the draft. I see us looking for Kahlil or Blaylock with a later round first choice, Sears, the offensive tackle with our second choice, either Jonathan Wade from Tenn. at corner and either the inside linebacker from Brown or the corner from East Carolina. Lots of good players that can contribute in the later first and early second. I think its a mistake to write off what we have for some "future" scenario...but if that's the way they decide to go, getting draft choices is the way to do it.

Second, if we let four or five defensive starters walk, we are going to be writing this year off to rebuild "in the long term" (huge mistake in this day and age rather than aiming to win now by resigning the defensive players and strengthening the trenches for a playoff and/or superbowl run either this year or next.

Or analogous to a smaller condo owner spiffing up a property for sale because the other, more well-heeled owners dragged him into a continually rising maintenance cost contract. :blink:

Or analogous to a smaller condo owner spiffing up a property for sale because the other, more well-heeled owners dragged him into a continually rising maintenance cost contract. :worthy:

Not a bad analogy. Wish I'd thought of it...except it breaks my heart to think you might be right. Jettison the older players, draft a young team and sell a team with an established qb and pro bowl receiver, no major problems, lots of good younger players. Depressing if true! :blink: