NFL wants to Trademark "The Big Game"

millbank

NFL to tighten the Screws

The NFL has trademark for "The Super Bowl, not with businesses using the term "The Big Game", the NFL wishes to have this Trade Mark as well......

As most people know, the NFL doesn't want you to use the word "Superbowl" when hosting a party, sale, event, etc, and they aggressively enforce their trademark on this term. In response, since all the country does in fact have parties, sales, events, etc. associated with the Superbowl, folks have adopted the euphemism 'the big game" in their communications.

I observed that this not only pointed out some of the silliness in our intellectual property laws, but also was counter-productive for the NFL -- shouldn't they want people talking about and holding events for the Superbowl? I suggested a simple licensing program that would raise a little money and probably work better for everyone:

The NFL needs to offer a one time use license each year for a bar or other establishment to hold a Superbowl party and actually use Superbowl in the promotion. The license would of course be non-exclusive, and would carry a myriad of restrictions on how you use the name, etc. The license could be purchased for a price that would be cheap for a business, maybe $200, and could be purchased right over the web. It would actually be easier, I think, to go after violators because the NFL could point to the existence of a legal licensing program the violator could easily have participated in. I would think they could easily bring in a couple of million dollars, not to mention saving them enforcement money and PR headaches.

The NFL has decided to go in a different direction. It is trying to trademark the term "the big game" so that term can't be used either (HT Overlawyered). I particularly liked this from the application:

It seems with every passing day I grow to hate the NFL more and more...

Me too. NFL Network broadcasting college bowl games, the tv screen size flap, their extortions and threats that result in free stadiums, their wanting all tv cable customers to pay an extra fee regardless if most subscribers don't give a flying F about NFL football, changing traditional uniforms to cash in on trinket sales, demanding King Midas prices for cheesy food and drink, kicking out local video coverage of game action, trying to patent the English language, etc. etc. etc.

It seems with every passing day I grow to hate the NFL more and more...

You said it. The business practices of the league are really hurting my enjoyment of the game. Rivalries seem manufactured with the free agency, games are commercial after commercial, and I have to pay to listen to crappy streaming audio or I can pony up the $300 a year to watch games.

You said it. The business practices of the league are really hurting my enjoyment of the game. Rivalries seem manufactured with the free agency, games are commercial after commercial, and I have to pay to listen to crappy streaming audio or I can pony up the $300 a year to watch games.

couple that with the taxpayer money going to stadiums, the monstrosity that Dallas is building, players like Pacman Jones and Chris Henry... It's just getting so unappealing.