Dennis Johnson Suddenly Died at 52

Peter

Wow! I was just talking to Bluefire last weekend about catching a Toros game (DJ's NBA Developmental team here in Austin), mainly just to get DJ's autograph...I am an old 80's Celtics fanatic...he was my second favorite Celtic, right behind Bird...what a shock...very sad...I just saw him a few months ago at a record store I work at part-time...he looked great, and seemed to love living in Austin.

First Red, now DJ...the Celtic legacy on the skids...sad times...

DJ put the finishing touch on one of the greatest plays, in any sport, that I have ever seen, I remember reading Larry Birds' book, he said that DJ came to him and gave him a look, a split second beofore this play, they both knew what they had to do...the smartest duo in NBA history...RIP Dennis! :wallbash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DrapEn5QA

Damn. :)

I can still see freckle face bringing the ball up the court, raising his finger to call the play. Those years with Bird, DJ, McCale, Ainge, Parrish, were some of the best B-Ball. Great Team, and I mean team!

I rarely watch any pro-Ball anymore, its all about the slam. Though I like to watch Nash play. The outside shot is a dieing breed.

I can still see freckle face bringing the ball up the court, raising his finger to call the play. Those years with Bird, DJ, McCale, Ainge, Parrish, were some of the best B-Ball. Great Team, and I mean team!

I rarely watch any pro-Ball anymore, its all about the slam. Though I like to watch Nash play. The outside shot is a dieing breed.

I could have written this myself. That starting five with almost no bench to speak of provided some of the most memorable moments in my life as a sports fan. I miss the "Celtic's tempo" in basketball. Slow down the run and gun game and make them play ball with you.

I had just moved to LA then. Wonderful rivalry between those two great teams. The basketball of today sucks in comparison and I cannot watch it. RIP DJ.

Used to see DJ, Kevin McHale, Bird, et al at the Scotch & Sirloin all the time after the games - he was one ugly dude, but a great player and a great competitor. I'll never forgot the look on that fag Isiah's face when LB stole that inbounds pass and DJ drained it for the win, while Thomas just stood there with nothing but his d_ck in his hand.

RIP DJ - thanks for the memories.

:)

A friend of mine met DJ after a Cavs-Celtics playoff game at the old Richfield Coliseum.

It was at the old Barney Google's pub at the Holiday Inn Richfield. I wasn't there, but my friend was a huge Celtics fan at the time. I'm pretty sure he got DJ's autograph...and DJ bought my friend's brother a drink.

RIP, Dennis.