Toronto in a Frenzy for Al Gore

millbank

Al Gore causes Frenzy in Toronto

He's a former Vice-President of the United States.

The movie he inspired, "An Inconvenient Truth", is up for an Oscar.

And he's the poster boy for the environment - printed on recycled paper of course.

All of which is making Al Gore a hot ticket in Toronto.

The American politician came to the U. of T. Wednesday night for a long awaited speech, and there were throngs of fans to greet him.

So were ticket scalpers, who are seeing a different type of green all their own. Reports indicate more than 20,000 people were trying to get their hands on a ducat for the event. But there's only room for 1,500 of them inside.

What tickets there were originally cost $20. They sold out almost immediately.

"We had about 23,000 hits on our website, which of course collapsed the website because we couldn't sustain it," muses the U. of T.'s Ingrid Stefanovic. "So there's been a huge enthusiasm for the event."

And not just huge but expensive. The demand was so high that on the Internet auction site Craig's List, people were offering up to $500 for a single pass.

And that was too much for one man to resist. "I was going to give it to my colleague for 20 bucks, and I told him, hey, I'm a student," the unnamed audience member relates. "Someone else is giving me $200. He says 'okay, go ahead and sell it for $200.'"

"It's like a boy band or something coming to town because people just are clamouring to see Al Gore," laughs Catherine Febria. "It's kind of funny."

:blink:

How much CO2 did his private jet emit on mother earth on the way to the Lib Land up north? I bet more than I use all year!!

I think the private jet thing is ridiculous but he is at least buying credits to cover his emissions.

Do you suggest that he doesn't travel at all or that he flies coach?

This is a tangential thought but flying JetBlue last week gave me the thought that those planes are wasting billions of gallons and dollars in jet fuel idling on the tarmac. I believe Richard Branson (Virgin) was making some moves to counter this.

I think the private jet thing is ridiculous but he is at least buying credits to cover his emissions.

This is a tangential thought but flying JetBlue last week gave me the thought that those planes are wasting billions of gallons and dollars in jet fuel idling on the tarmac. I believe Richard Branson (Virgin) was making some moves to counter this.

Get a Prius and a case of Depends. If it was good enough for the stalker astronaut, it's good enough for him!

First of all, I'd like to know who is buying "credits" from because I have a ton of them I's like to sell. :lol:

If he didn't travel at all would be fine with me. But the hypocrisy of these people just makes me sick. I’m all for conserving energy and loving mother earth, but don’t lecture me on driving an SUV or keeping my home temperature at 72 when they are out buying 4 homes, 20,000 square foot vacation retreats, flying in private jets, and own horses that product more CO2 gas than my car. I guess they justify it by driving a hybrid to church on Sunday (but most libs are atheists anyway so that goes that point).

All of this over some "CO2 Global Warming" Theory, (and it’s still just a Theory, not science) about how we’re destroying ourselves. I remember 20 years ago all the scientists said we where going into another Ice Age. Now that would be scary. Imagine all the fuel we have to burn just to keep warm.

First of all, I'd like to know who is buying "credits" from because I have a ton of them I's like to sell. :lol:

If he didn't travel at all would be fine with me. But the hypocrisy of these people just makes me sick. I’m all for conserving energy and loving mother earth, but don’t lecture me on driving an SUV or keeping my home temperature at 72 when they are out buying 4 homes, 20,000 square foot vacation retreats, flying in private jets, and own horses that product more CO2 gas than my car. I guess they justify it by driving a hybrid to church on Sunday (but most libs are atheists anyway so that goes that point).

All of this over some "CO2 Global Warming" Theory, (and it’s still just a Theory, not science) about how we’re destroying ourselves. I remember 20 years ago all the scientists said we where going into another Ice Age. Now that would be scary. Imagine all the fuel we have to burn just to keep warm.

1) Science works with many 'theories,' numbskull. It doesn't mean it's not science. You might think it's bad science, and Tom might agree with you, but it doesn't make it non-scientific.

2) I agree that Gore and any other liberals who own a lot of property and resources should take a good look in the mirror. I hope that he's considering all he uses and doing the best he can to compensate for that. Is he, I'm not certain. It doesn't mean that it's an excuse for us all to waste, and let's face it, the waste of all Americans, that contagion, is far worse than what any one person can accomplish. It's systemic. That's why someone needs to be out there cautioning us to change our ways. Like you, I'd be far more comfortable if this was someone who was completely living his message. At the same time, it doesn't make the message out-and-out wrong.

3) Evangelicals are on the board with climate change initiatives. Your statement about church-going is not only wrong, it's stupid. I and many other liberals go to church, I just don't feel the need to wave it in anyone's face like so many on the right. Religion is a personal endeavor for me and it's between me and god or whatever faith I have chosen to follow given my rights in the constitution.

4) You can divorce global warming theory from the fact that we are being very, very poor caretakers of this planet. And by 'we' I mean humans, not Americans. I mean Chinese, Indians (I've seen it firsthand and it's bad), Africans, Europeans, all peoples of the world. I intend to live life on this planet like someone who's giving a gift to his kids. I don't plan to ruin that gift. It's too bad your short-sighted political views trump that mentality, as they do for so many in this country.

The idea that man is causing the global warming is based on COMPUTER MODELS, not any real world experiments. It is a theory, not a fact.

Just as sting theory in physics is a theory and not proven because no one has come up with an experiment to prove it.

Why doesn't Gore give away his fortune his daddy made from the evil Occidental Chemical and that Stalin lover Armand Hammer.

1) Science works with many 'theories,' numbskull. It doesn't mean it's not science. You might think it's bad science, and Tom might agree with you, but it doesn't make it non-scientific.

2) I agree that Gore and any other liberals who own a lot of property and resources should take a good look in the mirror. I hope that he's considering all he uses and doing the best he can to compensate for that. Is he, I'm not certain. It doesn't mean that it's an excuse for us all to waste, and let's face it, the waste of all Americans, that contagion, is far worse than what any one person can accomplish. It's systemic. That's why someone needs to be out there cautioning us to change our ways. Like you, I'd be far more comfortable if this was someone who was completely living his message. At the same time, it doesn't make the message out-and-out wrong.

3) Evangelicals are on the board with climate change initiatives. Your statement about church-going is not only wrong, it's stupid. I and many other liberals go to church, I just don't feel the need to wave it in anyone's face like so many on the right. Religion is a personal endeavor for me and it's between me and god or whatever faith I have chosen to follow given my rights in the constitution.

4) You can divorce global warming theory from the fact that we are being very, very poor caretakers of this planet. And by 'we' I mean humans, not Americans. I mean Chinese, Indians (I've seen it firsthand and it's bad), Africans, Europeans, all peoples of the world. I intend to live life on this planet like someone who's giving a gift to his kids. I don't plan to ruin that gift. It's too bad your short-sighted political views trump that mentality, as they do for so many in this country.

Your right, science does work with many theories but you’re missing the point. Theories are just theories. Theories are proven by sound science principles not the other way around. Einstein’s theories where thought to be ridiculous until they were finally proven true with sound scientific principles and experiments. Just because someone has a theory and most buy into it doesn’t mean it to be so.

This generation has done more for the environment than any other in the history of the earth. We also need to be very diligent in our need to continue this trend. I agree that we need to be smarter and a better care taker of our earth. Having said that, we can not be duped into doing things that are harmful to this country and economy over some overblown scare tactic of “Global Warming”. This is a big left wing cause that will do more destruction than good in the long term. Most politicians (including Bush) regardless of political affiliation are buying into this cause because they have no backbone and scientific understanding of the issue. Plus, it makes them feel and look good to all their constituents that they are going to do something.

Plus why haven’t we built any more nuclear reactors in this country if the libs are afraid of CO2? Why doesn’t Senator Kennedy want any wind mills of the Mass. Coast? If we invade Iraq because of oil (NOT), why haven’t we started drilling our own oil in Alaska and off the Florida coast? Find a lib that supports that. We would rather save the Carabu than our own dependency on oil.

What about hydrogen? Yes it burns clean, but it also takes a lot of energy to make hydrogen and where does that energy come from? (Coal?, Oil?)

The libs want to regulate everything and tell you want you can have and not have. This is the fundamental point of their existence. They don’t believe in the free market place where innovation, entrepreneurship, and technology will solve these problems by offering a better alternative.

Your right, science does work with many theories but you’re missing the point. Theories are just theories. Theories are proven by sound science principles not the other way around. Einstein’s theories where thought to be ridiculous until they were finally proven true with sound scientific principles and experiments. Just because someone has a theory and most buy into it doesn’t mean it to be so.

This generation has done more for the environment than any other in the history of the earth. We also need to be very diligent in our need to continue this trend. I agree that we need to be smarter and a better care taker of our earth. Having said that, we can not be duped into doing things that are harmful to this country and economy over some overblown scare tactic of “Global Warming”. This is a big left wing cause that will do more destruction than good in the long term. Most politicians (including Bush) regardless of political affiliation are buying into this cause because they have no backbone and scientific understanding of the issue. Plus, it makes them feel and look good to all their constituents that they are going to do something.

Plus why haven’t we built any more nuclear reactors in this country if the libs are afraid of CO2? Why doesn’t Senator Kennedy want any wind mills of the Mass. Coast? If we invade Iraq because of oil (NOT), why haven’t we started drilling our own oil in Alaska and off the Florida coast? Find a lib that supports that. We would rather save the Carabu than our own dependency on oil.

What about hydrogen? Yes it burns clean, but it also takes a lot of energy to make hydrogen and where does that energy come from? (Coal?, Oil?)

The libs want to regulate everything and tell you want you can have and not have. This is the fundamental point of their existence. They don’t believe in the free market place where innovation, entrepreneurship, and technology will solve these problems by offering a better alternative.

I'm pro-nuclear, so you can scratch that one off. And what you're told about liberals, and how all of them actually feel are not one and the same. I don't want to regulate everything. I do want to regulate business to the point that they cannot be harming the people that are keeping them going, i.e. their consumers and the people who live in the localities in which they operate. Businesses are not people. If they are going to be given the rights of people they should be given the responsibilities of people. If I can't take a dump on your front lawn, why can a corporation?

I, too believe in entrepreneurship. That's why I believe that subsidies and fat gifts for companies that are trying to exhaust resources using the status quo should stop, and that at the very least the playing field should be leveled for people who are trying to come up with truly new solutions to problems. If you believe anyone can make it here, all they need is a good idea and sound management, that's a fool's world. There are plenty of interests in the way to stop it if it hinders the ability of a powerful system to make more money.

If you can't see that the caribou are part of a healthy ecosystem, you're lost.

And slavery and child labor were once vital parts of a booming economy, and it was argued that ending them would do a lot of harm. We were able to adapt. It's that the injustice of ruining the environment is less plainly noticeable and it's slower and less immediate damage. It is damage nonetheless and I am thankful for any efforts to stop it.

Another poster that blames everything thats wrong in the world on liberals. Its a refreshing viewpoint indeed. :lol:

As much as I don't like either, it's not surprising when one considers the substance-free, conspiracy theory, "I hate Bush" arguments that liberals have been using for years now. Stupidity breeds stupidity. The liberals have no one to blame but themselves for lowering the bar.

As much as I don't like either, it's not surprising when one considers the substance-free, conspiracy theory, "I hate Bush" arguments that liberals have been using for years now. Stupidity breeds stupidity. The liberals have no one to blame but themselves for lowering the bar.

So if I've interpreted this correctly your hatred for a poorly defined group of people called liberals was, is, and forever shall be, the fault of those dammmed liberals you hate so much themselves.

Whoever they are... :lol::devil::lol:

So if I've interpreted this correctly your hatred for a poorly defined group of people called liberals was, is, and forever shall be, the fault of those dammmed liberals you hate so much themselves.

Whoever they are... :lol::devil::lol:

Prominent liberals, acting based on their liberal ideology, have indeed created significant problems. LBJ's Great Society program, for example, created the welfare class; and destroyed the families of those in that economic class. Subsequent liberals left the anti-marriage financial incentives in place. Welfare was ultimately reformed by California governor Ronald Reagan in the '70s, and by Newt Gingrich's Congress in the 1990s.

Nor do liberals (broadly speaking) have a strong track record on crime, on opposing communism, or on the immigration crisis. I seldom see liberals doing much to curb the steady growth of government spending. On the contrary.

But the weakness and moral bankruptcy of the liberal movement doesn't mean their opponents are any better. Neoconservatives such as George W. Bush have a weak record on the environment, on opposing corporate abuses, and on immigration. He's also done nothing to curb the steady growth of federal spending.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle have spectacularly failed. Both political parties need to die; and to be replaced with parties that represent the interests of the American nation.

Skynet is trying to trick us!!!

His point is valid: the theory of global warming is based on computer models. That brings up the question: let's say there's a 50% chance that what we're doing is causing the Earth to become more Venus-like. Should we start changing our behavior, or should we wait to be absolutely sure our present course will lead to disaster before thinking about change?