a little help with this Takeo Spikes business

DrDawkinstein

i dont research players and their cap hits as much as some here, so im hopi,g someone can help me answer a couple questions...

what is Takeo's cap hit if we keep him on the team? and what would his hit be if he were cut? and the same 2 questions for next season.

now mind you im NOT SAYING we should or shouldnt cut him. i just want to know the numbers.

thanks in advance for any help!

i dont research players and their cap hits as much as some here, so im hopi,g someone can help me answer a couple questions...

what is Takeo's cap hit if we keep him on the team? and what would his hit be if he were cut? and the same 2 questions for next season.

now mind you im NOT SAYING we should or shouldnt cut him. i just want to know the numbers.

thanks in advance for any help!

Fine resource from a Bills fan right here on the board. Check out the pinned posts. They're usually up there because they provide relevant answers to oft-answered questions.

I think the relevant #s from this listing is that if he were to be cut, the Bills would save the $4.5 million outlay to him in base salary from their cap, but they would have the rest of his bonus already paid to him and amortized through the end of his contract accelerated immediately onto or cap.

Thus we save $4.5 million but are charged $3.2 million. Overall, since when he stays we are charged $6.4 million (there is some additional undefined bonus of $100K like a roster bonus) we save $3.2 million by cutting him.

This is substantial but not huge thus the variables of how well he is recovering or if he is willing to concede or link his salary to achievement in some redo really need to be determined before any rational judgment can be made though all are entitled to their opinion even its knee-jerk or fact free.

so sifting thru all your (helpful) words...

if we keep him this year: $6.4mil

if we cut him this year: $1.8mil this year and $1.4mil next year

and if we keep him thru his contract: about $6.4mil next year

so if we keep him for the next 2 years, we have over $12mil invested in him. but if we cut him now we have $3.2mil being spent on nothing...

so sifting thru all your (helpful) words...

if we keep him this year: $6.4mil

if we cut him this year: $3.2mil (but i think its just $1.8mil this year and $1.4mil next?)

and if he doesnt return to form this year, and we were to cut him next season, he would cost us $1.4mil... anyone know what his salary#'s are for next year? is it safe to assume its $4.5mil?

it's probably safe to assume that it's more than 4.5.

so whether these numbers are exact or not, they give a good layout of what the team is looking at.

i think it would be the smart move both financially and personnel-wise to keep him this year and give him the chance to fully come back from the injury.

i guess if he doesnt, we could find a better way to spend the $4mil (maybe even $5.5mil?) or so we'd pay him next year.

it's probably safe to assume that it's more than 4.5.

Sorry for my lack of clarity and it is easy to misread of foul up the cap implications (the NFL pays guys big bucks and they seem to have trouble with it).

I think the bottomline is that cutting TKO means you have $3.2 million less charged to your cap.

Sorry for my lack of clarity and it is easy to misread of foul up the cap implications (the NFL pays guys big bucks and they seem to have trouble with it).

I think the bottomline is that cutting TKO means you have $3.2 million less charged to your cap.

not quite. it means we have $3.2 million charged over the next 2 seasons for nothing. but we are saving the salary of $4.5mil and $5.5mil(?)

so we really have about $10million less charged to the cap.

isn't it 3.6 over the next two years? I think you are right though that our cap savings would be 4.5 this year. Additionally two very likely cuts will be Reyes and Villarial - which would save 2.5 mill this year. Add in Holcomb and its about 3.7 for cutting guys that aren't in the plans.

isn't it 3.6 over the next two years? I think you are right though that our cap savings would be 4.5 this year. Additionally two very likely cuts will be Reyes and Villarial - which would save 2.5 mill this year. Add in Holcomb and its about 3.7 for cutting guys that aren't in the plans.

could be, if it's $1.8mil both years... i just originally thought Gal knew it was going down next year to $1.4mil... who knows since theres no links to next year's salaries. either way, there is a lot more estiating going on than that $400k.

Spikes signed for 6 years, 30 million with a 9 million signing bonus. If we cut him now we save 4.5 mil on this years salary, but owe two years worth of 1.8 mil in bonus amoritization. That is only on the cap, which doesn't matter to the Bills this year because they aren't going to come close to it. They save, in real dollars, 4.5 mil this year, and 5 mil next year if he is cut.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1523613.html

yeah, i was in the group that wants the team to keep him for at least this year. im not so sure that the $4.5millon could/would be used on a better player.

its just unfortunate that if he doesnt come back, we really have no option but to cut him next year. since we wont be able to get much in trade for him. and i doubt he'd take a huge paycut voluntarily (but he may find that he will have to on the open market anyways).

yeah, i was in the group that wants the team to keep him for at least this year. im not so sure that the $4.5millon could/would be used on a better player.

its just unfortunate that if he doesnt come back, we really have no option but to cut him next year. since we wont be able to get much in trade for him. and i doubt he'd take a huge paycut voluntarily (but he may find that he will have to on the open market anyways).

I think the only way you are going to get him to take a paycut is by saying that this money will help the team get a great player that they're desperate to get. Takeo's a proud guy and he's been through too much -- no playoffs -- to not give something back after he's given so much.

It's horrible that Donahoe sold him -- and us -- such a bill of goods, only to provide shoddy coaching and poor attention to the team's greatest needs.

Spikes signed for 6 years, 30 million with a 9 million signing bonus. If we cut him now we save 4.5 mil on this years salary, but owe two years worth of 1.8 mil in bonus amoritization. That is only on the cap, which doesn't matter to the Bills this year because they aren't going to come close to it. They save, in real dollars, 4.5 mil this year, and 5 mil next year if he is cut.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1523613.html

I think this is correct which means we 2 years worth of $1.8 million in bonus amortization. When you get rid of a player (by cut or by trade) amount accelerates into the current cap hit. Thus, instead of a cap hit of $6.4 million which we have if we keep TKO, the cap hit is reduced to the remaining bonus of $3.2 million.

This is how much we have to replace him with if we cut TKO this off-season.