MLB Odell Thurman

stuckincincy

It's unlikely the B'gals will retain the services of 2005 2nd rounder MLB Odell Thurman (an undisclosed substance use offense and 4 game suspension, then a 2nd offense..DUI...at a checkpoint that his lady cell-phoned him to avoid 2 hours before (!)...so, a season-long suspension...with zero pay). He didn't show up for the first days of '06 training camp. To which when asked , Coach Lewis replied "Odell who?". :P

He hit it big out of the gate in his '05 rookie season - 5 picks, 4 forced fumbles, a real blitzing force, hard tackler, fine pass coverage. Wasn't bad, for a rookie, at recognizing offensive sets although old pro Brian Simmons made most of the positioning callls.

His play successes tapered off as the season wore on, his free-wheeling got found out, as he kept looking for the big play while opponents whizzed by him. He did continue being a hard hitter.

Perhaps a year without $$$ has wised him up...perhaps. <_<

My guess is that CIN will keep him until the last moment as trade bait. They might keep him if no takers, certainly...

But if he gets cut outright, do you think the Bills might be a suitor?

I really like Odell Thurman great speed and a playmaker. If he can get over his off the field issues maybe a change of scenery will help. He does have a lot of talent, and considering our need at lb it wouldn't hurt to look at a rather good playmaker. I also think he was a bit out of position at mlb. When I watch him I see someone who could make the most damage as a weak side backer coming off the edge operating in space. If he's over his off field issues definitely someone I'd like to have.

Dont think it will ever happen. Marv does not run a half way house. I know the stories about all the old players but that was after they were on the team. Marv and the rest of the guys would not bring this guy in knowing his past transgretions. Pass.

If he has recovered form his issues, I think Cincy would like to keep him because they are thin at LB. I also don't see Marv taking a guy like him, esp. if the media give Willis such a hard time. I also don't think putting him in a town with a 4am last call is a great idea.

It's unlikely the B'gals will retain the services of 2005 2nd rounder MLB Odell Thurman (an undisclosed substance use offense and 4 game suspension, then a 2nd ofense..DUI...at a checkpoint that his squeeze cell phoned him to avoid 2 hours before (!)...so, a season-long suspension...with zero pay). He didn't show up for the first days of '06 training camp. To which when asked , Coach Lewis replied "Odell who?". :P

He hit it big out of the gate in his '05 rookie season - 5 picks, 4 forced fumbles, a real blitzing force, hard tackler, fine pass coverage. Wasn't bad, for a rookie, at recognizing offensive sets although old pro Brian Simmons made most of the positioning callls.

His play successes tapered off as the season wore on, his free-wheeling got found out, as he kept looking for the big play while opponents whizzed by him. He did continue being a hard hitter.

Perhaps a year without $$$ has wised him up...perhaps. <_<

My guess is that CIN will keep him until the last moment as trade bait. They might keep him if no takers, certainly...

But if he gets cut outright, do you think the Bills might be a suitor?

Listen.

If EVEN the Bengals reject a player for character flaws-

it might be a small sign that Marv won't be bringing the player in.

Marv brought in Peerless who is a known punk. He drafted Brad Butler who had a notorious past. One of his favorite players was James Lofton, who had a nefarious arrest for sexual assault. It's not as though he will completely stay away from anyone with a checkered past. What he will do is sit down with them and then decide if he still thinks they are a punk or not. Who knows either way with Thurman, or most anyone else for that matter.

Marv brought in Peerless who is a known punk. He drafted Brad Butler who had a notorious past. One of his favorite players was James Lofton, who had a nefarious arrest for sexual assault. It's not as though he will completely stay away from anyone with a checkered past. What he will do is sit down with them and then decide if he still thinks they are a punk or not. Who knows either way with Thurman, or most anyone else for that matter.

And let's not forget Bruuuuuuce.

Way off Kelly, neither of these guys had a rap sheet and cases pending. Butler cut blocked a player he didnt get arrested for drugs or a DUI. Price is a punk, ok what the hell does that have to do with anything? Do they put you in jail for being a punk? If cut blocking is a crime the Denver Offensive Line is getting the gas chamber.

Way off Kelly, neither of these guys had a rap sheet and cases pending. Butler cut blocked a player he didnt get arrested for drugs or a DUI. Price is a punk, ok what the hell does that have to do with anything? Do they put you in jail for being a punk? If cut blocking is a crime the Denver Offensive Line is getting the gas chamber.

Posters are talking about character issues, not specifically arrests. Frankly, I would and I believe most people would consider cheap shots more of a character issue than a DUI, something which a huge portion of the population has gotten at some point in their lives, and if they didn't get one they certainly deserved one. Bruce Smith was suspended for substance abuse and arrested in his vehicle, too, but Marv played him, and loved him. I am not saying Thurman should be signed, or that he is not a thug. I don't know much about him except that he's a good football player, both his parents died tragically, he was suspended for four games for some unnamed substance or failure to take a test, and was pulled over at a checkpoint and had a .18 breathalyzer test.

That was by far the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

I see the point of what you are saying

but think Kelly was just "reminding" people with just a few examples that Marv(and Buffalo)hasn't been adverse in the past to taking a gamble on players with perceived or real character risks.

Now this didn't happen when Levy was still coach but who can forget John Butler wooing none other than Lawrence Phillps over in Europe?

June 27, 1999

Phillips Update: The hottest property on the free agent front now is Lawrence Phillips and he and his agent are currently mulling over their possibilities. They say he may make some visits and it can take up to 10 days before we know where he will play this season. The Raiders are seen as the front runners but our Bills are very much in the picture. Like the idea or not, he is an explosive runner with more talent than Antowain Smith.

Butler in Europe? Fox Sports is reporting that GM John Butler is in Europe for the World Bowl game today trying to sign Lawrence Phillips before he leaves to come back to the states!

Posters are talking about character issues, not specifically arrests. Frankly, I would and I believe most people would consider cheap shots more of a character issue than a DUI, something which a huge portion of the population has gotten at some point in their lives, and if they didn't get one they certainly deserved one. Bruce Smith was suspended for substance abuse and arrested in his vehicle, too, but Marv played him, and loved him. I am not saying Thurman should be signed, or that he is not a thug. I don't know much about him except that he's a good football player, both his parents died tragically, he was suspended for four games for some unnamed substance or failure to take a test, and was pulled over at a checkpoint and had a .18 breathalyzer test.

You dont get arrested 6 some odd times and not have character ussues. Its a shame that his parents died tragically but I am guessing he is not the only person that it has ever happened too. Its not an excuse to act like a an ass. As far as Bruce goes he had no character flaws until he was in Buffalo for a few years. Do you thinnk if Marv knew he did coke prior to drafting him he would be a Bill? All I am saying is that Butler and Price do not have character issues.

I see the point of what you are saying

but think Kelly was just "reminding" people with just a few examples that Marv(and Buffalo)hasn't been adverse in the past to taking a gamble on players with perceived or real character risks.

Now this didn't happen when Levy was still coach but who can forget John Butler wooing none other than Lawrence Phillps over in Europe?

June 27, 1999

Phillips Update: The hottest property on the free agent front now is Lawrence Phillips and he and his agent are currently mulling over their possibilities. They say he may make some visits and it can take up to 10 days before we know where he will play this season. The Raiders are seen as the front runners but our Bills are very much in the picture. Like the idea or not, he is an explosive runner with more talent than Antowain Smith.

Butler in Europe? Fox Sports is reporting that GM John Butler is in Europe for the World Bowl game today trying to sign Lawrence Phillips before he leaves to come back to the states!

All I have to say is thank god that didnt happen. I know what Kelly is saying but those are hardly character issues. One is a 15 yard penalty the other is a personality trait.

As far as Bruce goes he had no character flaws until he was in Buffalo for a few years. Do you thinnk if Marv knew he did coke prior to drafting him he would be a Bill?

He signed James Lofton who had been arrested for sexual assault. He signed Reggie Rogers who had recently served prison time for killing three teenagers with his car. He kept re-signing Bruce Smith after his troubles. What's your point?

He signed James Lofton who had been arrested for sexual assault. He signed Reggie Rogers who had recently served prison time for killing three teenagers with his car. He kept re-signing Bruce Smith after his troubles. What's your point?

Too bad instead of the classic, "Playoffs? Playoffs?" soundbite, the youngens should be treated to the Marv press conference explosion circa '88 about Bruce's alleged friends.