If you know Defense, then which of the three do u Pk?

Good way to see how some of you feel about Defense.

If you can have an excellent, average, and a weak trait for the following 3 components of a defense, what would you select?

I would choose:

Excellent: Stuffing the Run

Average: Pass Rush

Secondary: Weak

My reasoning is that the best defense is a well rested defense; stop the run and get the offense on the field. In my example, the secondary is the weakest link. Therefore, Nate can start packing because my money is going to stop the run, and then pass rush.

Do any of you feel that all three are interchangable with the same weakness, or do u have a different take on priorities?

If you feel that this is the best approach to building a defense, then who to re-sign or draft to fit this scheme?

If you can have an excellent, average, and a weak trait for the following 3 components of a defense, what would you select?

I would choose:

My reasoning is that the best defense is a well rested defense; stop the run and get the offense on the field. In my example, the secondary is the weakest link. Therefore, Nate can start packing because my money is going to stop the run, and then pass rush.

Do any of you feel that all three are interchangable with the same weakness, or do u have a different take on priorities?

If you feel that this is the best approach to building a defense, then who to re-sign or draft to fit this scheme?

Excellent: Pass Rush

Average: Stuffing the run

Weak: Secondary

I'll take a mean and intimidating pass rush any day over the previous two... sure I may have an average rush defense, but if I'm able to get a team into a third and long situation with my average rush defense, watch out! This would also come into play if my team got ahead on the scoreboard. Trying to play catch up against an excellent pass rush is doomed to failure. The cover 2 also stresses a strong pass rush, so basically we need to sign/draft anyone who can effectively attack the line of scrimmage...

Oh yeah, the best defense is a ball control offense!

I think you go with stuffing the run 1st, pass rush 2nd and secondary 3rd.

If you look at the Colts however they gave up 173 ypg in the regular season and 82 ypg in the post season. So you could make an arguement that attitude effects the running game more than anything.

But when Denver won Superbowls they had a top rush defense and a very suspect pass defense.

I would choose:

I concur with your assessment. You MUST stop the run well or teams can beat you with little reliance on the QB. A fierce pass rush will make an average secondary appear strong. Just about any NFL QB can pick you apart when they have time. It is performance in the face of a rush that separates the wheat from the chaff at QB. And a great secondary means little with a poor rush. You simply can't cover receivers that long.

In short always build your team from the inside out. i.e. with big bodies. Peripheral players just don't win you ballgames. the exception is the rare skill position guy like Tomlinson.

I'm going to go a different direction here. I agree stuffing the run is a great way to make an offense one dimensional. But I am placing Secondary over pass rush only because of this: Look at the number one team to beat in our division. Brady's movement and pocket awareness makes a lot of very good pass rushing D's look average. If you can take away his receivers, then your "weak" pass rush has a chance to balance out the rest.

We've been spoiled here with above average to very g-damn good secondaries over the last few years. I would hate to see us with a weak one.

I agree. Stuffing the run is the most important thing to a defense. If you can't stop the run then don't even think about making it to the playoffs. Although the Colts were the only exception to this. They had the league's worst rush defense and still won the superbowl.

I agree. Stuffing the run is the most important thing to a defense. If you can't stop the run then don't even think about making it to the playoffs. Although the Colts were the only exception to this. They had the league's worst rush defense and still won the superbowl.

Didn't work out so well for MinnySoda though did it:

NFL BEST in stopping the run

NFL WORST against the pass

6/10 record. No Playoffs.

I'm going to go a different direction here. I agree stuffing the run is a great way to make an offense one dimensional. But I am placing Secondary over pass rush only because of this: Look at the number one team to beat in our division. Brady's movement and pocket awareness makes a lot of very good pass rushing D's look average. If you can take away his receivers, then your "weak" pass rush has a chance to balance out the rest.

We've been spoiled here with above average to very g-damn good secondaries over the last few years. I would hate to see us with a weak one.

I agree with you, Take away a QB's receivers and the pass rush will be better cause it will take the QB longer to get a pass off

The most important thing is to take away the running game from a team. Thats why run blocking is #1 and why I believe letting Nate go might hurt the pass defence, but it will make the team overall better because they can use the room to build up the run D.

Didn't work out so well for MinnySoda though did it:

NFL BEST in stopping the run

NFL WORST against the pass

6/10 record. No Playoffs.

Well, lets expand your snap shot data into the bigger picture:

------Overall Def Rnk-----Def Rush Rnk----Def Pass Rnk---Pts Against Rnk

2006---------8----------------1--------------------31---------------14

2005--------21---------------19-------------------22---------------20

Note: Last 6 years I checked, minnisota allowed fewest points against.

2005 Record was 9-7 with offense scoring 19.1 pts a game

2006 Record was 6-10 with offense scoring 17.6 points a game

Getting williams was a huge boost for minnisota. Their defence leaped and their points against tumbled. They lost 6 games by 6 or less points. It's their offensive failure that distorted their progress.

Buffalo with williams & nate = best defence in NFL

Buffalo with just nate = 20th something

Excellent: Pass Rush

Average: Stuffing the run

Weak: Secondary

I'll take a mean and intimidating pass rush any day over the previous two... sure I may have an average rush defense, but if I'm able to get a team into a third and long situation with my average rush defense, watch out! This would also come into play if my team got ahead on the scoreboard. Trying to play catch up against an excellent pass rush is doomed to failure. The cover 2 also stresses a strong pass rush, so basically we need to sign/draft anyone who can effectively attack the line of scrimmage...

Oh yeah, the best defense is a ball control offense!

Problem with focusing on pass rush as your excellence in your defense, is that weather will play a large part. Unless ur in a dome for half the season or sunny dry weather, the rain and snow in buffalo is going to reduce that edge.

Offensive co-ordinator is gonna just run and soften up that defense, sweeps, screens, and some play action to tire out the pass rushers on those double takes.

Their is nothing more macho then a pass rusher dropping the QB on their butt all game long; sack after sack. It's the run stuffing that's going to play a major role in ALL weather.

I would choose:

Combining an average pass rush with a weak secondary is a recipe for disaster. As much as I believe stuffing the run is the most important thing a D can do, if I was going to be forced to have a weak secondary I'd want an excellent pass rushing team to offset that secondary. Given the choices I’d have to go Excellent pass rush, average run stuffing, weak secondary.

If the secondary was at least average I wouldn’t feel the need to have an excellent pass rush. For instance, if the choices were excellent, average, average I’d go excellent stuffing the run and average pass rush and secondary.