United States One Dollar Coin rolled out Today...

millbank

One Dollar Coin

U.S Mint

The presidential coin is the size, weight and metal composition of the Sacagawea $1 coin.

Collectors at the event were excited about the coin as a collectable but had doubts about its viability as a replacement for the paper dollar.

Chase Curtis picked up some coins for his son George's collection. Curtis, who had lived in Hong Kong where coins had replaced all small denomination bills, believes coins can do a much better job than paper money. "But the government would need to phase back paper first," he said.

Others were cautious about their praise. Zak Walker of Brooklyn said the $1 Presidential coin was "very interesting and a good idea." But, he added, "I don't think it will catch on," Walker said.

Because coins can last longer in circulation than paper money, the Mint has a reason for hoping they do catch on. A 2002 Government Accounting Office report concluded that if dollar coins replaced the paper dollar, the government would save $500 million annuall

We've got enough idiots in this country. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have the same president appearing on more than one coin.

As for it possibly catching on. If they really want it to, eliminate the single and force people to accept it.

If vending machines are actually changed to support the coin, that is.

Exactly. If I could use it in a vending machine or to buy a newspaper I might find value in it. People won't use it until they get rid of the paper dollar.

Weren't they when the last one came out?

Not all of them. I remember there being signs on only some of the vending machines around campus that they supported $1 coins. Why would I carry $1 coins instead of bills when I can't use them at all the vending machines I want to?

One of the quickest ways to force adoption of this standard would be to simply remove the ability to pay with bills.

Not all of them. I remember there being signs on only some of the vending machines around campus that they supported $1 coins. Why would I carry $1 coins instead of bills when I can't use them at all the vending machines I want to?

One of the quickest ways to force adoption of this standard would be to simply remove the ability to pay with bills.

When Canada rolled out the loonies and toonies - they stopped printing paper money

I worked in Ontario a lot then - and no one seemed to bent out of shape from the transition

Coin enthusiasts and casual collectors lined up Thursday morning at Grand Central Terminal in New York for the first opportunity to get the $1 presidential coin - but the new coin's widespread adoption is far from guaranteed.

They did?? I guess I didn't notice them.