Smith might be let go by Chargers

It helps when you get to pick #1 overall twice in a 5 year span and to make it golden in both those years you did not need to draft that top QB and is compensated with extra 1st rounders.....

AJ Smith is an OK GM...But just like Donahoe, he has screwed up with his Head Coach choices that ultimately will cost him his job.

And finally AJ Smith broke all his ties with Buffalo when he decided to ride the co-tails of John Butler and bad mouthed Wilson on his way out of Buffalo.

As much as I think Smith is a jerk for how he handled the whole Schottenheimer issue, ganesh, you really have to give credit where it's due to his ability as a GM. He did pass on Vick, get Tomlinson (as I call him, for the only "LT" I know of is retired), and ended up adding Brees also. He then traded Manning for 3 Pro Bowl players (Kaeding, Rivers, and 'Roid Boy), further enhancing that team.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the extension was an error. I can't imagine having so much success and not being able to stomach each other enough to talk to even speak to one another...Poorly handled on all sides...

I think when the Chargers made the playoffs the 1st year(when they lost to the jets) smith already made up his mind to fire Marty after the season ended(remember before the start of the season the Chargers were supposed to be horrible). His thought process was we will end up 3-13 & Marty will be the scape goat. Well Brees lit it up that year & everything came together. I think Smith was forced into giving him that extension by the Chargers making the playoffs.

Smith to me comes off like Donahoe. It is either his way or noway. I dont care what organization it is, you need checks & balances & you need different opinions once in awhile. Plus I agree with Ganesh, he couldnt get out of town fast enough with his boy Butler, & had to bad mouth the bills organization every chance he got. I hope he gets the axe.

As much as I think Smith is a jerk for how he handled the whole Schottenheimer issue, ganesh, you really have to give credit where it's due to his ability as a GM. He did pass on Vick, get Tomlinson (as I call him, for the only "LT" I know of is retired), and ended up adding Brees also. He then traded Manning for 3 Pro Bowl players (Kaeding, Rivers, and 'Roid Boy), further enhancing that team.

And everybody ripped the Chargers for passing on the "sure thing" Vick. Hmm, Tomlinson and Brees or Vick, I wonder who had the better draft that year.

Smith will be snapped up quickly as a GM. I suspect a team like Houston, Miami or Detroit will be wise to overlook his personality and focus on his track record and production. Spanos is making a good decision in getting rid of him. The spectre of Smith as an all powerful personality (I got rid of MS and I can get rid of you if you cross me mentality) will poison the well for whoever comes next.

I think Washington would be a strong suitor as well.

AJ will be gone after the draft at teh latest.

Pete Carroll is the man with the super-secret anti-Rooney contract already in place.

That doesn't make any sense...Why would Pete Carroll want Smith to be his GM before the draft.....If Carroll takes up the coaching job, he will bring his own VP of Personnel.

Rich,

I am not saying he was not good....not just a super genius as people think him to be.....

The Falcons were desparate to get Michael Vick and were ready to give up the whole house to get him especially when you have to move down only 4 spots...My guess is many other GMs would have made that trade if given the opportunity.

In the Eli Manning case, Manning and Giants painted themselves into that corner where they openly showed their love for each other. Again any other GM would have made that pick knowing that the Giants would trade for him. The deal became even better, when the Giants rather than negotiating earlier to move up (by giving up a little less) put themselves in the wrong shoe by having to do the trade during the draft.

The credit I give to AJ Smith was in finding the good people in those slots in LT, Merriman and Rivers. They all did not turn out to be busts.

And everybody ripped the Chargers for passing on the "sure thing" Vick. Hmm, Tomlinson and Brees or Vick, I wonder who had the better draft that year.

I am sure Mr. Blank is walking all the way to the Bank laughing at the amount of money Vick has generated for him, while Mr. Spanos is looking at LT/Rivers and asking "Show me the money"...:-)

My two cents on this whole thing:

What messed things up in San Diego, was Wade going to Dallas.

With the DC job open, AJ Smith wanted to bring in Ted Cottrell, while Schottenheimer wanted to hire his brother. It caused a big rift between the two. Spanos, canned Marty, because, at this point, he would be easier to replace than AJ. He may very well be targetting Pete Carroll.

However, Carroll, or not, the Chargers need AJ to see them through the draft, and FA periods. Once those are complete, AJ, I am betting will be shown the door as well, and complete control of the Chargers will be given to Carroll. This is kind of what happened last year in Houston, with Charley Casserly.

I think Smith/Spanos were thrown for a loop by Wade getting the Dallas job. I don't think they ever thought he would get a HC job, unless it was with the Chargers, next year, after Shcotzy was let go.

With the Chargers losing so many coaches this offseason (not just the OC), their being a "shoe-in" to win the SB next year, has to be dubious. You can't blame Wade for jumping ship, for a head coaching job, nontheless, with a storied franchise, in his home state.

As for Pete Carroll, I can see him jumping to the Chargers, because, from the sounds of it, USC could be facing some difficult times in the near future, with the NCAA. However, going to the Chargers, a team seemingly poised to win it all, could be a mistake too. Anything less than a Super Bowl appearence, and he will be considered a failure, by many...rightly or wrongly.

If Carroll does not get the SD job, don't be surprised to see TD resurface there.

However, Carroll, or not, the Chargers need AJ to see them through the draft, and FA periods. Once those are complete, AJ, I am betting will be shown the door as well, and complete control of the Chargers will be given to Carroll. This is kind of what happened last year in Houston, with Charley Casserly.

And I think that is a very dangerous think for the team....Look at Mr Casserly draft. He could have got Reggie Bush or Vince Young...but chose Mario Williams. While there might have been many reasons to pick Williams, I think equally good arguments could have been given for picking Bush or Young. When you know that your foot is already out through the door, why would you care about the team....

Another guy who screwed his team was our own Butler...He knew he wasn't going to re-sign with the Bills and chose to make some of the worst draft picks ever for the bills. You don't think Smith wouldn't do the same.

With the DC job open, AJ Smith wanted to bring in Ted Cottrell, while Schottenheimer wanted to hire his brother. It caused a big rift between the two. Spanos, canned Marty, because, at this point, he would be easier to replace than AJ. He may very well be targetting Pete Carroll.

I think Smith/Spanos were thrown for a loop by Wade getting the Dallas job. I don't think they ever thought he would get a HC job, unless it was with the Chargers, next year, after Shcotzy was let go.

With the Chargers losing so many coaches this offseason (not just the OC), their being a "shoe-in" to win the SB next year, has to be dubious. You can't blame Wade for jumping ship, for a head coaching job, nontheless, with a storied franchise, in his home state.

As for Pete Carroll, I can see him jumping to the Chargers, because, from the sounds of it, USC could be facing some difficult times in the near future, with the NCAA. However, going to the Chargers, a team seemingly poised to win it all, could be a mistake too. Anything less than a Super Bowl appearence, and he will be considered a failure, by many...rightly or wrongly.

If Carroll does not get the SD job, don't be surprised to see TD resurface there.

If Carrikk

but his ego will be soothed by mega-millions.

He keeps the big bucks even if fired and then can return to the college scene, probably at USC after the Bush scandal clears.

And I think AJ Smith was way out of line to push for a guy to get the job. I think Marty had the final say in who should be in his coaching staff. Marty might not have done the correct thing by offering the job to his brother, but I think the coach needs to be comfortable with who is on his staff. A Ted Cottrell would have been an outsider within that coaching staff, causing more rift.

I really think Spanos should have canned Smith, however, he got mad at Marty for not taking the contract extension and chose the wrong guy to be canned.

And I think that is a very dangerous think for the team....Look at Mr Casserly draft. He could have got Reggie Bush or Vince Young...but chose Mario Williams. While there might have been many reasons to pick Williams, I think equally good arguments could have been given for picking Bush or Young. When you know that your foot is already out through the door, why would you care about the team....

I agree with you, although I am still not sold on the idea that Butler drafted Erik Flowers, to screw over the Bills...that is kind of heresay. Flowers had risen pretty quick on a number of teams draft boards that year, as he had very good workouts. It was a need position...the guy just turned out to not be very good. It happens.

As for Casserly, the word down here in Texas, was that Casserly wanted to draft Reggie Bush, but as it was known going into things Casserly was a lame duck GM, Kubiak wanted to go defense, because he thought (and continues to think) that he can implement that kind of offensive scheme he had in Denver, with the guys that were there. Now, Kubiak is apparently having some doubts about David Carr...but that is a whole other issue..

Rich,

I am not saying he was not good....not just a super genius as people think him to be.....

The Falcons were desparate to get Michael Vick and were ready to give up the whole house to get him especially when you have to move down only 4 spots...My guess is many other GMs would have made that trade if given the opportunity.

In the Eli Manning case, Manning and Giants painted themselves into that corner where they openly showed their love for each other. Again any other GM would have made that pick knowing that the Giants would trade for him. The deal became even better, when the Giants rather than negotiating earlier to move up (by giving up a little less) put themselves in the wrong shoe by having to do the trade during the draft.

The credit I give to AJ Smith was in finding the good people in those slots in LT, Merriman and Rivers. They all did not turn out to be busts.

Ganesh- I can't disagree with you more on this.

Both moves in hindsight look logical and "easy" because they turned out overwhelmingly in San Diego's favor.

The Vick Trade- they were widely criticized at the time for passing on this "once in a lifetime player". Not only did they pass on him but they were actually targeting LT!! If you remember LT had many detractors coming into the pros because he was a rb in an option offense and people questioned his ability to run between the tackles. That draft is littered with busts in the top 12 picks and San Diego came out of it with a HOF rb!! They also received a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the deal.(one being Reche Caldwell) as well as Tim Dwight who was quite a positive addition to their time at the time.

The Manning Trade- There was an incredible amount of pressure exerted on San Diego when they made this trade. It felt like the pressure of the league itself was angling to have Manning in New York. Despite being skewered and hung out to dry Smith (for all of you Donahoe flunkeys) was a "Master Poker Player" in squeezing out the maximum amount of value he could before agreeing to this deal. Manning of course was the "golden boy wonder". San Diego was targeting Rivers all along anyways!! So they end up with Rivers-an all pro, Merriman-an all-pro, who they took 12th the next year and who is now of the top three defensive players in the game(do you think teams aren't kicking themselves for passing on him? To add insult Smith tabbed Keading- an all-pro with a third round pick from

the trade.(a move he was also criticized for).

What you saw in both cases was genius at work. Smith and Butler were unflappable in there vision and thanks to their collective skill(shout out to Buddy Nix also)

at identifying talent they have laid a foundation for success that is the envy of the league.

I really think Spanos should have canned Smith, however, he got mad at Marty for not taking the contract extension and chose the wrong guy to be canned.

In essence, I agree with you again, but I think, ultimately, both are going to be canned. It was just a timing issue for Spanos.

Rich,

Again - The Vick draft was Butler's. For all we know, AJ was lobbying Butler to select Vick. But Butler made the decision and the selections in that draft, so AJ does not deserve to take the credit for that draft. If you subscribe to that type of logic, then Modrak should be out of here as well as TD.

bflo: WRT the Manning draft, the Mannings forced the Chargers' hands. Had that not happened, Eli would be in SD and the Chargers wouldn't have gotten those extra picks. As for passing on Vick and taking LT, the Chargers were rebuilding and needed quantity as well as quality. Tomlinson was considered a tremendous RB prospect and the Chargers got a bunch of picks to trade down and STILL get him, who they had targeted. As luck would have it, Tomlinson was available at #5 and they were able to pickup Brees early in the 2nd. There was less "great planning" than there was good fortune someone else didn't take those players before they did, which can be said for a lot of teams.