David Carr trade bait

RLflutie7

The Texans say they want a 2nd through 5th round pick for him. I wouldn't give them a dime for him. He's one of the biggest QB bust in NFL history.

The funny thing to me was how Carr dodged the critics. McNabb and Vick get ripped all the time and with Carr you never hear a peep. People laugh at Ryan Leaf, yet Carr was just as bad. I don't think he'll even make it as a backup.

I'm thinking Jeff Garcia would be a perfect fit for the Texans. I think they'll be a surprise team if they get better at QB.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Texans say they want a 2nd through 5th round pick for him. I wouldn't give them a dime for him. He's one of the biggest QB bust in NFL history.

The funny thing to me was how Carr dodged the critics. McNabb and Vick get ripped all the time and with Carr you never hear a peep. People laugh at Ryan Leaf, yet Carr was just as bad. I don't think he'll even make it as a backup.

I'm thinking Jeff Garcia would be a perfect fit for the Texans. I think they'll be a surprise team if they get better at QB.

I think they will add Plummer. Kubiak connection and all.

Carr was definitely better than Leaf - otherwise though I totally agree. People have seemed to give him a lot of the benefit of the doubt where they give other guys all kinds of grief (JP for instance). I think it may stem from those first few years when his O-line was so terrible that they were setting records for sacks allowed.

He also was never really hyped up like some of these guys are. Alex Smith kind of has the same thing going in SF (though he's actually playing pretty well) - a 1st overall qb that people don't really talk about.

And again, wow, the '02 draft with Carr and Harrington ended up being a bomb. Out of the top 5 picks - 4 busts - Carr, Harrington, Mike Williams, and Ryan Simms.

Few have had high expectations for the Texans and Carr was never hyped like those other guys. He might do well modeling Men's clothing or something like that.

I have always liked Carr, and I think a team might make a steal for a 3rd to 5th round pick. I know his numbers are not great, but what has he had to work with? He can only do so much on his own. Moulds turned out to be a bust for them, their running back blew his knee out (I can't remember the name, but he changed his last name from Davis to his mother's maiden name), he has never had anything close to pass protection. I am not saying he will rival Peyton or Brady next year, but I would give him a second chance.

I have always liked Carr, and I think a team might make a steal for a 3rd to 5th round pick. I know his numbers are not great, but what has he had to work with? He can only do so much on his own. Moulds turned out to be a bust for them, their running back blew his knee out (I can't remember the name, but he changed his last name from Davis to his mother's maiden name), he has never had anything close to pass protection. I am not saying he will rival Peyton or Brady next year, but I would give him a second chance.

So would I.

Carr is a more durable version of Rob Johnson. He just doesn't have enough pocket awareness to avoid getting sacked about 3 times more than the amount he should. He also just loses.

Carr will make a living as a backup QB somewhere if Texass dumps him.

It might do him some good too.

Maybe Marv will sign him and drop Holcomb.

Then we can look forward to some poster taking a name like Carr's Buttox, running down JP and lobbying for Carr to start. :lol:

Carr is a more durable version of Rob Johnson. He just doesn't have enough pocket awareness to avoid getting sacked about 3 times more than the amount he should. He also just loses.

Having your confidence shot by being pounded a billion times by opposing defenses has a funny way of manifesting itself in bad play on the field. He needs a fresh start and an organization that will actually put the talent around him (and not just a WR) that will help him succeed.

Imagine if the Colts would've given Manning the piece of crap line Carr has had to deal w/ from the beginning of his career. Not saying Manning's stats would be identical, but he certainly would've seen a huge dropoff.

Now, all of that said, I have seen Carr take more sacks than he should and make some terrible throws also. I just wonder how much of that can be attributed to knowing you'll have to run for your life on just about every play.

Take a look at three of the past four expansion teams. Do any of them strike you as having met immediate success? Carolina's early wins were the combination of great performances from value FAs and an at-his-peak Super Bowl GM in Polian. The Jaguars' slow move toward respectability and Cleveland and Houston's struggles are more indicative of an expansion team's issues. And if I were ever to helm an expansion franchise I would never, never, never select a number one QB first. Too much pressure to succeed immediately, and it's one more pick -- the most important one -- sacrificed for a skill position player instead of in the important trench positions that allow a young team to succeed. Look at Jax and Carolina -- they did not succeed with first round QBs. They won with FAs at the quarterback position. Couch and Carr flopped and there's not much more they could have done given their situations.

Carr could still be decent. Depends on whether he's too shell-shocked or damaged to make it. But he can obviously be accurate and run the short game given the time to throw, as he showed against us.

Carr doesnt get as much grief because he was drafted by an expansion team, that never works.

to compare Carr to Leaf is just dumb....Tim Couch would be a better comparison

Take a look at three of the past four expansion teams. Do any of them strike you as having met immediate success? Carolina's early wins were the combination of great performances from value FAs and an at-his-peak Super Bowl GM in Polian. The Jaguars' slow move toward respectability and Cleveland and Houston's struggles are more indicative of an expansion team's issues. And if I were ever to helm an expansion franchise I would never, never, never select a number one QB first. Too much pressure to succeed immediately, and it's one more pick -- the most important one -- sacrificed for a skill position player instead of in the important trench positions that allow a young team to succeed. Look at Jax and Carolina -- they did not succeed with first round QBs. They won with FAs at the quarterback position. Couch and Carr flopped and there's not much more they could have done given their situations.

Carr could still be decent. Depends on whether he's too shell-shocked or damaged to make it. But he can obviously be accurate and run the short game given the time to throw, as he showed against us.

Actually, Carolina made it to the NFC championship game in their 3rd year with Kerry Collins as the QB, who I believe was the 1st pick overall in the draft.

I'm not sure why people make so many excuses about Carr. Among them I've heard are these:

1) No o-line

2) No legitimate #2 receiver

3) No star RB

4) No change-of-pace RB

5) No great TE target

6) No prototypical slot guy

7) No help from the defense

You can make the same excuses for just about every QB in the league. No team has every component in place.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, but if he ever does anything it will take time. He's had the crap blasted out of him in Houston and he is definitely gun shy. If you are correct that he will never amount to anything even a backup then you are correct, he will be one of the biggest QB busts ever.

As for criticism...he plays in Houston fer gods sake. Stick him in NY or Philly with the same stats and you would hear the criticism loud and clear.

He could be a Jim Plunkett type. Plunkett had a nightmare few years with the patriots and then sat the bench behind LaMonica at Oakland, regrouped, and became an exceptionally good qb for the raiders. Don't know if there is anyone willing to "rehabilitate" a shell shocked qb or who can afford to invest the time and effort in this free agency era. I think a fifth round pick to keep him as a backup and long shot investment might work for some team...but certainly not the bills, where Losman looks like a good long term bet and Nalls is the reserve in training. Maybe the Jets as a backup to Pennington? I suspect its just too much of a risk, though and it may be time for Carr to get on with his life.