The James Harris story

Rubes

Apologies if this was posted before.

There's a new book available on "The Trials and Triumphs of the Black Quarterback", and ESPN.com has an excerpt from Chapter 5 online which talks about the start of James Harris's career after he was drafted by the Bills in '68. Interesting stuff about the Bills teams back then.

There's a new book available on "The Trials and Triumphs of the Black Quarterback", and ESPN.com has an excerpt from Chapter 5 online which talks about the start of James Harris's career after he was drafted by the Bills in '68. Interesting stuff about the Bills teams back then.

Thanks for posting!

I've always felt his story is overlooked. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the post. It is a fascinating story, and James Harris did get a raw deal, but I think William Rhoden is playing a bit fast and loose by not mentioning that Dennis Shaw became Rookie of the Year in 1970, which did after all give him a leg up in the QB competition in 1971.... Whether the Bills should have drafted Shaw at all after drafting Harris is of course another story.

A bit of both, but I think that being black made it that much easier for the team to give up on him.

I definitely agree with your statement.

I read the exerpt yesterday and found it to very interesting. But isn't Rhoden a professional writer? If the whole book is written like this it would be almost unreadable.

I definitely agree with your statement.

I read the exerpt yesterday and found it to very interesting. But isn't Rhoden a professional writer? If the whole book is written like this it would be almost unreadable.

Yes, Rhoden works for the NYTimes, and is generally a good writer. Frankly, I think this "oral history" is a putrescent concession to the TV culture, trying to make a book look and sound like a TV interview. I hate it, and think it breaks up what could have been a much better narrative.

A bit of both, but I think that being black made it that much easier for the team to give up on him.

i will agree that blacks in that era got the short end of the stick, but i can't believe there weren't a lot of white players that went into a room with white shirts and ties.....without an agent.....and got taken to the cleaners. In addition, for every James Harris (who happened to be black) there were unproven young white players that were sent packing because of an unfortunate injury or just not enough room on the roster. so i look at this story and wonder how much of it is someone just trying to exploit his skin color.

one thing i will agree with is, that there were likley (and maybe even still the case) "white management" types that took the Al Campanis type position that a black player didn't have the intelligence or capacity to play the QB position. which truly is/was unfortunate.

I remember one play in particular with Harris. Third and one and he did a qb sneak, broke through and ran about 65 yards for a touchdown. Now...with scrambling qb's like Vick and Young that isn't such an astounding thing, but at the time we all thought qb's were constitutionally incapable of actually running the ball. I believe Briscoe played qb in college and at denver in addition to WR. He was not bad at all either. Remember this wasn't more than a few years from the New Orleans Pro Bowl where the Black players simply could not room with white players resulting in a strike . Jack Kemp played a role in that.

Thanks again. I finally read it. I never he him mentioned re: black QB history or Bills history for that matter.

It's surprising because he is in a high profile position as vice president for player personnel for the Jacksonville Jaguars.