I'm looking to buy an SUV

The Tomcat

I have an 02 Pathfinder. Bought it new in Seattle, moved and drove it to Virginia and since I've been here it's been to Florida once and to BUF twice. 68,000 miles and it will be paid for in 3 months. No major problems. My only complaint is that I can't break 18mpg, no matter what.

I drive an 05 Tahoe at work. It's nice, much larger than the Pathfinder, but I'm glad I don't have to buy the gas for it. It's a lot of stop & go and sitting at idle, has a 350 engine and only averages 12-13 mpg.

I hope to keep the Pathfinder another 5 years. It will be nice to be out from under the payments but I am occasionally tempted try something else. From what I've seen, the Honda Pilot's are nice. Good luck with whatever you decide on. There's nothing worse than putting a lot of money down for a vehicle and not being happy with it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the H3 ! It has every 4wd traction setting you can think of . Even can disengage the tranny for towing behind an RV. Switchable 4.73 gear ratio, locking transfer, anti slip, the works. It is an awesome vehicle all for around 30K. 5 cyl. engine.

H3 is L series of the Hummer line though.

What is the 'L' series ? And if you mean 'L' for loser, I completely disagree. I love that vehicle, and at 30K you cant beat it.

Noooo, I'm not knocking the quality, but it is the Ladies series of the Hummer line. It's a soccer mom SUV.

Noooo, I'm not knocking the quality, but it is the Ladies series of the Hummer line. It's a soccer mom SUV.

No way dude, thats what I mean, I have taken that thing up to the top of sand dunes where dune buggies with paddle tires have gotten stuck. Up the sides of mountains on freshly cut trails where I was hitting boulders, and hard pack trails in the anza borrego desert. That thing rocks. with the 4.73 gear ratio it will climb over boulders.

It is no sissy watered down version of an off road vehicle.

No way dude, thats what I mean, I have taken that thing up to the top of sand dunes where dune buggies with paddle tires have gotten stuck. Up the sides of mountains on freshly cut trails where I was hitting boulders, and hard pack trails in the anza borrego desert. That thing rocks. with the 4.73 gear ratio it will climb over boulders.

If you're going to drive it, at least get this trailer hitch cover. :wallbash:

Just traded in my '99 TJ for an Outback wagon. While I LOVED my Jeep I have to admit that is nice to have some of the amenities back in my life again like power windows and doors, A/C, heated seats and mirrors....not to mention the ability to have a conversation with the person in the passenger seat without screaming at them over the road noise.

When I want that and safety... I drive the Pacifica... :lol:

BTW, IMO... Road noise is a strawman... I can hear the Jeep Trail Guide (GPS) give me turn-by-turn with the top off doing 60...

:lol:

The new JK's come with all the power options... Heck, if you really want to, you can put power windows in your hard doors with an aftermarket kit... But, what is the point... Half the time during the summer the doors are off anyway!

Yes it is... :lol:

Try a Jeep with a with a Dana 44 or even the new Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty axle... Gear ratio? 4.10... Will put shame to the Hummer...

BTW, IMO... Road noise is a strawman... I can hear the Jeep Trail Guide (GPS) give me turn-by-turn with the top off doing 60...

It's no strawman when you compound the problem because you need to shout over the radio which you turned way up in order to hear it over the road noise.

I don't know how many times I had to tell people that "over 50 mph you get either music or conversation, but never both." :P

Sorry dude, jeeps are for wanna be off roaders. :worthy:

All in GOOD FUN FSD! I need a few more aftermarket mods (not that it really needs them) and I will come visit you... We will see who squeezes between the two big oaks better on the trail! :pirate:

Believe it or not... A Suzuki Samurai was one hell of a trail rig!

Wannabes?

Look who is talking... Know the origin of that "7 slat" grill design on the Hummer?

The original is still the best!... And coupled with the 95" wheel base... A properly rigged (which doesn't mean walking into a dealer and getting it... Jeep or Hummer) CJ/YJ/TJ can go places only a Hummer would dream about... That 95" wheel base is the reason why they are the official Hummer recovery vehicle! :wallbash:

Sad that in 2007 Jeep ditched the venerable cast iron block, AMC 289, straight six... I expect to get at least 500k on that motor!

I guess the younger gen doesn't respect the hardcore values anymore and fell in love with the L class of ORV's!

There are reasons why that Dana 44 HD axle has been around for eons same with the engine...

All that is changing though (in due part because of new 2007 Fed saftey standards and increased use by people who never touch the trail, just the mall)... I guess you gotta change?... That is why I bought the last of the dinos and the 2006!

Shame how people are swayed by the flash and away from the practicality...

I just wish in 2007 Jeep would have killed the whole Wrangler thingy... They bastardized the intregity by Hummerizing the new JK Wranglers!... :wallbash: There are plenty of parts/vehicles/kits/what not to keep CJ's/YJ's and TJ's running forever!

The original is still the best!... And coupled with the 95" wheel base... A properly rigged (which doesn't mean walking into a dealer and getting it... Jeep or Hummer) CJ/YJ/TJ can go places only a Hummer would dream about... That 95" wheel base is the reason why they are the official Hummer recovery vehicle! :pirate:

My Jeep had an 80" wheelbase. :worthy:

I'm mystified as to how things like antiskid, antilock brakes, and traction control work off-road.

I'd guess that traction control, depending on the system, would either grab-release-grab the brakes until they fried, or cut back engine power when it's needed most. Hopefully the buggy would be equipped with a t/c shut-off.

I'd also worry about those expensive antilock wheel hubs getting bugged up.

All in GOOD FUN FSD! I need a few more aftermarket mods (not that it really needs them) and I will come visit you... We will see who squeezes between the two big oaks better on the trail! :worthy:

Believe it or not... A Suzuki Samurai was one hell of a trail rig!

Wannabes?

Look who is talking... Know the origin of that "7 slat" grill design on the Hummer?

The original is still the best!... And coupled with the 95" wheel base... A properly rigged (which doesn't mean walking into a dealer and getting it... Jeep or Hummer) CJ/YJ/TJ can go places only a Hummer would dream about... That 95" wheel base is the reason why they are the official Hummer recovery vehicle! :wallbash:

Sad that in 2007 Jeep ditched the venerable cast iron block, AMC 289, straight six... I expect to get at least 500k on that motor!

I guess the younger gen doesn't respect the hardcore values anymore and fell in love with the L class of ORV's!

There are reasons why that Dana 44 HD axle has been around for eons same with the engine...

All that is changing though (in due part because of new 2007 Fed saftey standards and increased use by people who never touch the trail, just the mall)... I guess you gotta change?... That is why I bought the last of the dinos and the 2006!

Shame how people are swayed by the flash and away from the practicality...

I just wish in 2007 Jeep would have killed the whole Wrangler thingy... They bastardized the intregity by Hummerizing the new JK Wranglers!... :pirate: There are plenty of parts/vehicles/kits/what not to keep CJ's/YJ's and TJ's running forever!

In San Diego county where I do my off roading. Squeeezing between oak trees just isn't a concern. Going on large 1000 foot sand dunes at a 45 to 60 degree angle and I really like the wider wheel base. The Hummer is perfect for my uses. The skid plates along the bottom are great when I skip over rocks going up mountain sides. Usually scrubby brush not to many big trees. There are so many locking / unlocking switches and axle skid contols I'm not even sure what the best use for them is. I have done all of my off roading in the standard street mode.