I'm looking to buy an SUV

The Tomcat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the H3 ! Awesome off road vehicle. Plenty of room and the back is easy to load up. I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it. I go off roading all the time and it performs great. I've taken it to the top of 400+ foot sand dunes, dirt trails, mountain trails. Just yesterday went mudding looking at property. The wheels were so caked in mud that when I got back on the pavement I was still sliding around because the tires were not making contact with the pavement.

Hyundai Santa Fe

Best bang for your buck, good on gas, VERY SAFE, 5 year bumper to bumper + 10 year engine and trans.

My wifes work gave her a brand new one last year. I figured it would be like a crap KIA but I was very wrong. Very smooth ride and from what I understand they dont cost very much. 25000 fully loaded.

Agreed.....Hyandai Santa Fe is the way to go.....

I myself have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport...and it has been a awesome SUV for us.....but when it is time to buy a new vehicle I am going to go with the Santa Fe because of the MPG

here is a link to the new Ford Edge : linky

I am going to get one in the next month or so. The vista roof is awesome. The drive is smooth and the mileage is not bad for a SUV. I am a bit pissed that bill Ford finally makes a good vehicle and can't make it more fuel efficient, given that it is 2007 and bush is about to !@#$ up the situation with Iran causing the oil market to go nuts.

I have no use for an SUV and am not interested in the high ride or gas guzzling, but if I did have to get one it would be the Nissan XTerra. I think it's the only SUV on the market that comes in manual transmission also.

Not sure if it counts, but a Subaru Outback is damn versatile and gets good gas mileage.

I have no use for an SUV and am not interested in the high ride or gas guzzling, but if I did have to get one it would be the Nissan XTerra. I think it's the only SUV on the market that comes in manual transmission also.

Not sure if it counts, but a Subaru Outback is damn versatile and gets good gas mileage.

Actually the toyota FJ has a stick as well. I am sure there are others, but just know that one off the top of my head.

Ford Escape does as well. Again, I bet there is quite a few more, just have to search around.

That's how I roll...

when i finally need more space due to kids, i'll upgrade from the impreza wrx wagon to the outback

Went through this exercise last year and ended up buying a Chrysler Pacifica (Touring package). We were extremely impressed with the way it drives and how comfortable it was.

The Touring package included GPS, leather interior, power everything, dual climate, removable second-row bucket seats and third-row bench seating, electric back door (which wifey loves when toting our son around), more than enough space for hauling people or gear, 6-disc DVD player with drop-down screen and wireless headphones, leather interior, 250 horsepower V6, suspension by Mercedes...bought it for $20K out the door with 8,000 miles on it.

Haven't had a single problem with it since we got it last year, and the true test is having wifey come home from being at Disney for the day and commenting, "Damn, I love my car."

Good choice LA... Last June we decided on the 2006 Pacifica too and went with the Limited AWD, fully loaded and brand new... Sticker was 45K... Got it for 32 cash... Now has about 7k on it... Even threw in free oil changes for life (gimmick to get me in the dealer I suppose?) and didn't have to have some stupid advertisement on the thing like some I've seen...

The AWD is awesome... Gets lower MPG... But the wife doesn't have to think about it... :thumbsup: Awesome in the snow...

I think Chrysler and Mercedes deny it being a Mercedes suspension... Yet the engine is??

Get the H3 ! Awesome off road vehicle. Plenty of room and the back is easy to load up. I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it. I go off roading all the time and it performs great. I've taken it to the top of 400+ foot sand dunes, dirt trails, mountain trails. Just yesterday went mudding looking at property. The wheels were so caked in mud that when I got back on the pavement I was still sliding around because the tires were not making contact with the pavement.

My other vehicle is an H3 Recovery vehicle? :thumbsup:

You ask what that is?

An 2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler... Last of the "True Jeeps!"

Oh... I got two kids too! They love it with the top and doors off and out wheelin'... Stick a hinged safari rack on it and you're in business with all the luggage/what not!

Not an SUV... But ORV's... The TJ's (1997-2006) and now with the '07's, JK's (Wranglers)... Come with stick...

Best ORV ever built... Go with the Rubicon... Stick another 5k or so in it with aftermarket off road options and you will be in business pulling Fan in San Diego's H3 out of trouble! :lol:

The new JK even has all the cool off road gizmos like electronic sway bar disconnect... :thumbsup:

quote name='THE TOMCAT' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:22 PM' post='912621']

looking for one 2-3 yrs old. I was thinking of a Durango.

Anyone with any suggestions or history with theirs?

I was thinking about an extended cab truck but think an SUV is a better way to go.

I have 2 boys (10,13) and coach baseball for 9-10, 11-12 yr olds so I need to be able to have room for kids and equiptment. I like to hunt as well.

let me know what y'all think.

Hmods - please leave this on the OT forum. At least for a couple days)

Thanks

Since you like to hunt - which I assume means off-road duty - my guess is that you would be looking at a used model with a 2-speed transfer case. That eliminates the Subarus, Ford Escape, Saturn Vue/Chevy Equinox/Buick Ranier, Toyota Highlander, the little Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav-4.

The Hyundai Tuscon and Kia Sportage are now sans Xfer case; I'm not sure about earlier models. Same thing with Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Montero and Outlander

The Suzuki offerings are odd ducks with very few dealers out there...

That leaves Jeep Liberty, Ford Explorer and its Mazda Tribute and Mercury Mariner cousins, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander, Dodge Durango, Toyota 4Runner, Toyoya FJ (very poor visibility btw), Nissan Xterra, Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy, as well as the big pricey jobs - the Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Land Cruiser etc.

There are myriad flavors of 4 wheel-drive, too...All-wheel with no transfer case, traditional part-time, Xfer case vehicles with full-time capability, etc. Jeep has a rather confusing mix.

I'd recommend a used model with a limited-slip rear axle, also. Don't take anyone's word for it - insist on seeing the original window sticker and check the VIN #. A cooperative dealer should be able to get the vehicle's factory equippage from a VIN.

Note that many manufacturers - notably the Japanese - require that you purchase a gussied-up model before you can get a locking rear axle.

My choice in a used SUV for some off-road duty would be a 4WD Chevy Trailblazer with rear limited slip differential. The standard I-6 is a capable motor.

here's a handy reference:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...-car-search.htm

Note that many manufacturers - notably the Japanese - require that you purchase a gussied-up model before you can get a locking rear axle.

Get the new 4 door Rubi unlimited (has the space and 4 doors... Can get the rag top too!) and it comes with electronic lockers on the front and rear axles...

Also w/ the hardcore ORV's there is a myriad of aftermarket products far superior to the OEM versions.

That is why I wasn't too worried about getting the front and rear lockers on my TJ OEM... I can always add them later... Either manual, air, electronic... You name it... Though rock crawling is not in my immediate future... Later in years it might?... :blink: Maybe I will turn it into a beast when I hit mid-life?... :wallbash:

My other vehicle is an H3 Recovery vehicle? :wallbash:

You ask what that is?

An 2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler... Last of the "True Jeeps!"

Oh... I got two kids too! They love it with the top and doors off and out wheelin'... Stick a hinged safari rack on it and you're in business with all the luggage/what not!

Just traded in my '99 TJ for an Outback wagon. While I LOVED my Jeep I have to admit that is nice to have some of the amenities back in my life again like power windows and doors, A/C, heated seats and mirrors....not to mention the ability to have a conversation with the person in the passenger seat without screaming at them over the road noise.

quote name='THE TOMCAT' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:22 PM' post='912621']

looking for one 2-3 yrs old. I was thinking of a Durango.

Anyone with any suggestions or history with theirs?

I was thinking about an extended cab truck but think an SUV is a better way to go.

I have 2 boys (10,13) and coach baseball for 9-10, 11-12 yr olds so I need to be able to have room for kids and equiptment. I like to hunt as well.

let me know what y'all think.

Hmods - please leave this on the OT forum. At least for a couple days)

Thanks

Since you like to hunt - which I assume means off-road duty - my guess is that you would be looking at a used model with a 2-speed transfer case. That eliminates the Subarus, Ford Escape, Saturn Vue/Chevy Equinox/Buick Ranier, Toyota Highlander, the little Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav-4.

The Hyundai Tuscon and Kia Sportage are now sans Xfer case; I'm not sure about earlier models. Same thing with Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Montero and Outlander

The Suzuki offerings are odd ducks with very few dealers out there...

That leaves Jeep Liberty, Ford Explorer and its Mazda Tribute and Mercury Mariner cousins, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander, Dodge Durango, Toyota 4Runner, Toyoya FJ (very poor visibility btw), Nissan Xterra, Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy, as well as the big pricey jobs - the Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Land Cruiser etc.

There are myriad flavors of 4 wheel-drive, too...All-wheel with no transfer case, traditional part-time, Xfer case vehicles with full-time capability, etc. Jeep has a rather confusing mix.

I'd recommend a used model with a limited-slip rear axle, also. Don't take anyone's word for it - insist on seeing the original window sticker and check the VIN #. A cooperative dealer should be able to get the vehicle's factory equippage from a VIN.

My choice in a used SUV for some off-road duty would be a 4WD Chevy Trailblazer with rear limited slip differential. The standard I-6 is a capable motor.

here's a handy reference:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...-car-search.htm

Look at the H3 ! It has every 4wd traction setting you can think of . Even can disengage the tranny for towing behind an RV. Switchable 4.73 gear ratio, locking transfer, anti slip, the works. It is an awesome vehicle all for around 30K. 5 cyl. engine.